The foreign exchange market interventions of the European Central Bank
AbstractWe analyze the effectiveness of the foreign exchange market interventionsconducted by the European Central Bank (ECB) in the fall of 2000 to support the external stability of the euro. To this end, we discuss different channels through whichinterventions may influence exchange rate dynamics. We use the insights provided by the theoretical and empirical literature to evaluate the effectiveness of theintervention policy of the ECB. In addition, we present an empirical analysis in which we use intra-daily exchange rate data to examine in detail the effects of theinterventions. We find that the interventions only had a rather short-term impact on the exchange rate path and had no effects beyond the short term. Therefore, our results suggest that the intervention policy of the ECB was not effective.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Banca Nazionale del Lavoro in its journal Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review.
Volume (Year): 54 (2001)
Issue (Month): 218 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.economiacivile.it
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order; Noneconomic International Organizations;; Economic Integration and Globalization: General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jansen, David-Jan & De Haan, Jakob, 2005. "Talking heads: the effects of ECB statements on the euro-dollar exchange rate," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 343-361, March.
- Christian Pierdzioch & Georg Stadtmann, 2004. "The Effectiveness of the Interventions of the Swiss National Bank - An Event-Study Analysis," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 140(II), pages 229-244, June.
- Rasmus Fatum & Michael M. Hutchison, .
"ECB Foreign Exchange Intervention and the Euro: Institutional Framework, News and Intervention,"
EPRU Working Paper Series
02-10, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Rasmus Fatum & Michael Hutchison, 2002. "ECB Foreign Exchange Intervention and the EURO: Institutional Framework, News, and Intervention," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 413-425, October.
- Jansen, David-Jan & de Haan, Jakob, 2007.
"Were verbal efforts to support the euro effective? A high-frequency analysis of ECB statements,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 245-259, March.
- David-Jan Jansen & Jakob de Haan, 2005. "Were Verbal Efforts to Support the Euro Effective? A High-Frequency Analysis of ECB Statements," DNB Working Papers 033, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- David-Jan Jansen & Jakob de Haan, 2003.
"Statements of ECB Officials and their Effect on the Level and Volatility of the Euro-Dollar Exchange Rate,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
927, CESifo Group Munich.
- D. Jansen & J. de Haan, 2003. "Statements of ECB Officials and their Effect on the Level and Volatility of the Euro-Dollar Exchange Rate," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 726, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Frenkel, Michael & Pierdzioch, Christian & Stadtmann, Georg, 2006. "The transparency of the ECB policy: What can we learn from its foreign exchange market interventions?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 141-156, February.
- Michael Frenkel & Christian Pierdzioch & Georg Stadtmann, 2002. "Devisenmarktoperationen und Informationspolitik der Europäischen Zentralbank," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 3(1), pages 49-68, 02.
- Christian Pierdzioch & Georg Stadtmann, 2003. "The Effectiveness of the Interventions of the Swiss National Bank � An Event-Study Analysis," Kiel Working Papers 1160, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo D'Ippoliti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.