Job Performance and Job Satisfaction: An Integrated Survey
AbstractThe empirical evidence from the econometrics of self-reported job satisfaction and from organisational psychology on job performance raises the main issues regarding the relationship between job performance and job satisfaction (i.e. the sign and the direction of causality), and the connected issues of the effectiveness of economic incentives for job performance and job satisfaction with respect to individuals' characteristics and contextual variables. This paper provides a survey of the literature on the topic in an attempt to integrate the results from the different lines of research within a single framework. The conventional economic view of the effectiveness of incentives is extended on the basis of the psychological concepts of intrinsic motivations, self-esteem, and life satisfaction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Società editrice il Mulino in its journal Economia politica.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Maurizio Pugno & Sara Depedri, 2009. "Job performance and job satisfaction: an integrated survey," Department of Economics Working Papers 0904, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- A12 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Relation of Economics to Other Disciplines
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- J28 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Safety; Job Satisfaction; Related Public Policy
- L31 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Nonprofit Institutions; NGOs
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rannia Leontaridi & Peter Sloane, 2001. "Measuring The Quality Of Jobs," LoWER Working Papers wp7, AIAS, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies.
- Minkler, Lanse, 2004.
"Shirking and motivations in firms: survey evidence on worker attitudes,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 863-884, June.
- Lanse Minkler, 2002. "Shirking and Motivations in Firms: Survey Evidence on Worker Attitudes," Working papers 2002-40, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Lanse Minkler, 2002. "Shirking and Motivation in Firms: Survey Evidence on Worker Attitudes," Working papers 2002-37, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Michael A. Shields & Stephen Wheatley Price, .
"Racial Harassment, Job Satisfaction and Intentions to Quit: Evidence from the British Nursing Profession,"
Discussion Papers in Public Sector Economics
01/2, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Shields, Michael A & Price, Stephen Wheatley, 2002. "Racial Harassment, Job Satisfaction and Intentions to Quit: Evidence from the British Nursing Profession," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 69(274), pages 295-26, May.
- Shields, Michael A. & Wheatley Price, Stephen, 2000. "Racial Harassment, Job Satisfaction and Intentions to Quit: Evidence from the British Nursing Profession," IZA Discussion Papers 164, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Richard B. Freeman & Morris M. Kleiner & Cheri Ostroff, 2000. "The Anatomy of Employee Involvement and Its Effects on Firms and Workers," NBER Working Papers 8050, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nathalie Greenan, 1996. "Innovation technologique, changements organisationnels et évolution des compétences," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 298(1), pages 15-33.
- Golden, Lonnie & Wiens-Tuers, Barbara, 2006. "To your happiness? Extra hours of labor supply and worker well-being," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 382-397, April.
- Michael J. Handel & Maury Gittleman, 2000.
"Is there a Wage Payoff to Innovative Work Practices?,"
- Michael J. Handel & Maury Gittleman, 1999. "Is There a Wage Payoff to Innovative Work Practices?," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_288, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Reeson, Andrew F. & Tisdell, John G., 2008. "Institutions, motivations and public goods: An experimental test of motivational crowding," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 273-281, October.
- JONES, Derek C. & SVEJNAR, Jan, .
"Participation, profit sharing, worker ownership and efficiency in Italian producer cooperatives,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-681, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jones, Derek C & Svejnar, Jan, 1985. "Participation, Profit Sharing, Worker Ownership and Efficiency in Italian Producer Cooperative," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 52(208), pages 449-65, November.
- Jones, D.C. & Svejnar, J., 1984. "Participation, profit sharing, worker ownership and efficieny in Italian producer cooperatives," CORE Discussion Papers 1984019, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Canice Prendergast, 1999. "The Provision of Incentives in Firms," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(1), pages 7-63, March.
- Federica Origo & Laura Pagani, 2006. "Is Work Flexibility a Stairway to Heaven? The Story Told by Job Satisfaction in Europ," Working Papers 97, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2006.
- Alexi Danchev & Erkan Ilgün, 2013. "Job Performance, Job Satisfaction and Human Capital in the Labour Market in Bosnia," International Journal of Management, Knowledge and Learning, International School for Social and Business Studies, Celje, Slovenia, vol. 2(1), pages 25-44.
- Elisabetta De Antoni, 2009. "Money and finance: the heterodox views of R. Clower, A. Leijonhufvud and H. Minsky," Department of Economics Working Papers 0908, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Oswald, Andrew & Proto, Eugenio & Sgroi, Daniel, 2013.
"Happiness and Productivity,"
CAGE Online Working Paper Series
107, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Oswald, Andrew J. & Proto, Eugenio & Sgroi, Daniel, 2009. "Happiness and Productivity," IZA Discussion Papers 4645, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Oswald, Andrew J. & Proto, Eugenio & Sgroi, Daniel, 2008. "Happiness and Productivity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 882, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Stefania Capecchi & Maria Iannario & Domenico Piccolo, 2012. "Modelling Job Satisfaction in AlmaLaurea Surveys," Working Papers 56, AlmaLaurea Inter-University Consortium.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.