Journal of Public Economics
October 1988, Volume 37, Issue 1
August 1988, Volume 36, Issue 3
- 269-292 The line item veto and public sector budgets : Evidence from the states
by Holtz-Eakin, Douglas
- 293-304 Rate of return regulation and product variety
by Besanko, David & Donnenfeld, Shabtai
- 305-321 Unwillingness to pay : Tax evasion and public good provision
by Cowell, Frank A. & P.F. Gordon, James
- 323-337 Decentralization decisions in bureaucracies as a principal-agent problem
by de Groot, Hans
- 339-367 Lump-sum taxation and the superneutrality and optimum quantity of money in life cycle growth models
by Gahvari, Firouz
- 369-386 Altruism and efficiency : A welfare analysis of the Walrasian mechanism with transfers
by Kranich, Laurence J.
- 387-397 On the existence of Pareto optimal allocations when individual welfare depends on relative consumption
by Villar, Antonio
July 1988, Volume 36, Issue 2
- 139-151 Testing the democratic hypothesis in the provision of local public goods
by Aragon, Y. & Laffont, J. J. & Le Pottier, J.
- 153-175 Labor market behavior of older men : Estimates from a Trichotomous choice model
by Haveman, Robert & Wolfe, Barbara & Warlick, Jennifer
- 177-196 Efficient pricing of natural gas : A case study of Egypt
by Martin, Ricardo & Wijnbergen, S. Van
- 197-230 Fairness, self-interest, and the politics of the progressive income tax
by Snyder, James M. & Kramer, Gerald H.
- 231-258 Privatization, internal control, and internal regulation
by Bos, Dieter & Peters, Wolfgang
- 259-267 Effects of taxes on non-market work : The swedish case
by Flood, Lennart
June 1988, Volume 36, Issue 1
- 1-22 Credit market efficiency and tax policy in the presence of screening costs
by De Meza, David & Webb, David C.
- 23-52 Labour supply specification and the evaluation of tax reforms
by Blundell, Richard & Meghir, Costas & Symons, Elizabeth & Walker, Ian
- 53-67 Power, majority voting, and linear income tax schedules
by Peck, Richard M.
- 69-85 Measuring the benefits of a large public investment : The case of the U.S. Federal-aid highway system
by Keeler, Theodore E. & Ying, John S.
- 87-109 A residence time model of housing markets
by Rosenthal, Stuart S.
- 111-126 The effects of taxation on partnership investment
by Watson, Harry
- 127-137 Impossibility of exclusion and characteristics of public goods
by Laux-Meiselbach, Wolfgang
April 1988, Volume 35, Issue 3
- 265-287 Measuring the inefficiences of tax systems
by Kay, John & Keen, Michael
- 289-307 A test for efficiency in the supply of public education
by Bergstrom, Theodore C. & Roberts, Judith A. & Rubinfeld, Daniel L. & Shapiro, Perry
- 309-332 Private incentives in social dilemmas : The effects of incomplete information and altruism
by Palfrey, Thomas R. & Rosenthal, Howard
- 333-354 Economic competition among jurisdictions: efficiency enhancing or distortion inducing?
by Oates, Wallace E. & Schwab, Robert M.
- 355-369 Taxation and the household
by Apps, Patricia F. & Rees, Ray
- 371-383 A simple model for merit good arguments
by Besley, Timothy
- 385-392 Price discriminating monetary policy : A nonuniform pricing approach
by Villamil, Anne P.
- 393-396 Note on improving the effectiveness of effective tax rates on business investment
by Sumner, Michael
March 1988, Volume 35, Issue 2
- 133-162 Community development with endogenous land use controls
by Epple, Dennis & Romer, Thomas & Filimon, Radu
- 163-181 Optimal environmental regulation under asymmetric information
by Spulber, Daniel F.
- 183-204 Withholding and non-withheld tax evasion
by Yaniv, Gideon
- 205-227 Existence of electoral equilibria with probabilistic voting
by Feldman, Allan M. & Lee, Kyung-Ho
- 229-240 Nash equilibria in models of fiscal competition
by Wildasin, David E.
- 241-249 Boundary optima and the theory of public goods supply
by Campbell, Donald E. & Truchon, Michel
- 251-263 Optimal taxation of business and individual incomes
by Chang, Ching-huei
February 1988, Volume 35, Issue 1
- 1-24 The analysis of agricultural price reform
by Newberry, David
- 25-56 The effect of food stamps on labor supply : A bivariate selection model
by Fraker, Thomas & Moffitt, Robert
- 57-73 Privately provided public goods in a large economy: The limits of altruism
by Andreoni, James
- 75-96 Social security and the failure of annuity markets
by Townley, Peter G. C. & Boadway, Robin W.
- 97-117 Social security, liquidity, and early retirement
by Kahn, James A.
- 119-127 Optimal shadow prices for public production
by Hagen, Kare P.
- 129-130 Some analytics of the Laffer curve : A comment
by Denicolo, Vincenzo
- 131-132 Some analytics of the Laffer curve : Reply
by Malcomson, James M.
December 1987, Volume 34, Issue 3
- 265-290 Welfare ratios and distributionally sensitive cost-benefit analysis
by Blackorby, Charles & Donaldson, David
- 291-309 Asymmetric information in the credit market and discount rates for public investment
by Kanemoto, Yoshitsugu
- 311-328 Limited countercyclical policies : An exploratory study
by Becketti, Sean & Haltiwanger, John
- 329-354 The consumption tax in the presence of altruistic cash and human capital bequests with endogenous fertility decisions
by Batina, Raymond G.
- 355-366 Constrained Pareto-optimal taxation of labour and capital incomes
by Svensson, Lars-Gunnar & Weibull, Jorgen W.
- 367-378 Tax design in the presence of imperfect competition : An example
by Myles, G. D.
- 379-390 The optimal linear income tax : A diagrammatic analysis
by Ihori, Toshihiro
November 1987, Volume 34, Issue 2
- 129-142 Hierarchical structure and the social costs of bribes and transfers
by Hillman, Arye L. & Katz, Eliakim
- 143-158 On the existence of Lindahl-Hotelling equilibria
by Khan, M. Ali & Vohra, Rajiv
- 159-173 Competitive equilibrium and the core in club economies with anonymous crowding
by Scotchmer, Suzanne & Wooders, Myrna Holtz
- 175-188 Preferences and demand for local public spending
by Schokkaert, Erik
- 189-210 The effect of social security on the steady state distribution of consumption
by Chu, C. Y. Cyrus
- 211-242 Shadow prices and substitution in trade distorted economies
by Buffie, Edward F.
- 243-252 The impact of public transfer expenditures on tax evasion : An experimental approach
by Becker, Winfried & Buchner, Heinz-Jurgen & Sleeking, Simon
- 253-264 A note on king and fullerton's formulae to estimate the taxation of income from capital
by Scott, M. FG.
October 1987, Volume 34, Issue 1
- 1-17 Disneyland monopoly, interlinkage and usurious interest rates
by Basu, Kaushik
- 19-44 Performance versus design standards in the regulation of pollution
by Besanko, David
- 45-60 The equity and efficiency of runway pricing
by Morrison, Steven A.
- 61-85 Litigation, liability, and incentives for care
by Png, I. P. L.
- 87-103 A general equilibrium model of crime commission and prevention
by Furlong, William J.
- 105-119 The effects of lump-sum subsidies on the structure of production and productivity in regulated industries
by Kim, Moshe & Spiegel, Menahem
- 121-128 Transactions technology and the time consistency of optimal policy
by Towe, Christopher M.
August 1987, Volume 33, Issue 3
- 273-304 The economic effects of social security : Toward a reconciliation of theory and measurement
by Bernheim, B. Douglas
- 305-331 On the design of incentive schemes under moral hazard and adverse selection
by Picard, Pierre
- 333-356 Pricing cogenerated electricity and heat in local communities
by Bohman, Mats & Andersson, Roland
- 357-362 Comparing the marginal welfare costs of commodity and trade taxes
by Clarete, Ramon L. & Whalley, John
- 363-376 Taxation as insurance and the case of rate differentiation according to consanguinity under inheritance taxation
by Richter, Wolfram F.
- 377-387 Tax reform and intergeneration incidence
by Ihori, Toshihiro
- 389-398 The collected papers of Richard A. Musgrave : A review article
by Atkinson, A. B.
July 1987, Volume 33, Issue 2
- 137-155 Optimal taxation of a non-linear pricing monopolist
by Laffont, Jean-Jacques
- 157-172 How burdensome are capital gains taxes?: Evidence from the United States
by Poterba, James M.
- 173-206 Individual taxpayer response to tax cuts: 1982-1984 : With implications for the revenue maximizing tax rate
by Lindsey, Lawrence B.
- 207-221 Shadow prices for non-traded goods in a tax-distorted economy : Formulae and values
by Dinwiddy, Caroline & Teal, Francis
- 223-244 Corruption as a gamble
by Cadot, Olivier
- 245-260 Disentangling the demand function from the production function for local public services : The case of public safety
by Schwab, Robert M. & Zampelli, Ernest M.
- 261-271 Equity, fairness and lindahl equilibria
by Sato, Toshihiro
June 1987, Volume 33, Issue 1
- 1-20 Taxes and transaction costs in asset market equilibrium
by Leape, Jonathan I.
- 21-39 Towards a theory of famine relief policy
by Ravallion, Martin
- 41-57 Taxes and the number of fringe benefits received
by Turner, Robert W.
- 59-72 Stock externalities, Pigovian taxation and dynamic stability
by Brito, Dagobert L. & Intriligator, Michael D.
- 73-94 The measurement of waste in a public goods economy
by Tsuneki, Atsushi
- 95-105 Neutral taxation under uncertainty
by Fane, G.
- 107-114 Welfare effects of commodity tax harmonisation
by Keen, Michael
- 115-124 Axiomatic foundations of Hicksian measures of welfare change
by Ebert, Udo
- 125-131 A qualification concerning the efficiency of tax expenditures
by Driessen, Patrick A.
- 133-136 The efficiency of tax expenditures : Reply
by Feldstein, Martin
April 1987, Volume 32, Issue 3
- 263-285 Intertemporally consistent shadow prices in an open economy : Estimates for Cyprus
by Bell, Clive & Devarajan, Shantayanan
- 287-305 Peer group effects and educational attainment
by Arnott, Richard & Rowse, John
- 307-330 Assistance to the poor in a federal system
by Brown, Charles C. & Oates, Wallace E.
- 331-353 The impact of congestion on local public good production
by Craig, Steven G.
- 355-368 Strategic behaviour : Some experimental evidence
by Bennett, J. W.
- 369-387 The ineffectiveness of effective tax rates on business investment : A critique of Feldstein's Fisher-Schultz lecture
by Chirinko, Robert S.
- 389-396 Tax rates and business investment : Reply
by Feldstein, Martin
March 1987, Volume 32, Issue 2
- 133-158 The effects of taxation, price control and government contracts in oligopoly and monopolistic competition
by Stern, Nicholas
- 159-183 Volunteer labor supply
by Menchik, Paul L. & Weisbrod, Burton A.
- 185-201 Tax structure and public sector growth
by Feenberg, Daniel R. & Rosen, Harvey S.
- 203-214 Progressive taxation and the equal sacrifice principle
by Young, H. P.
- 215-230 Expenditure taxes, income taxes, and time-inconsistency
by Rogers, Carol Ann
- 231-246 The effect of nontransferable property rights on the efficiency of political markets : Some evidence
by Lott, John Jr.
- 247-261 A Shoven-Whalley model of a small open economy : An illustration with Philippine tariffs
by Clarete, Ramon L. & Roumasset, James A.
February 1987, Volume 32, Issue 1
- 3-24 Fiscal incidence in an overlapping generations model with a fixed asset
by Chamley, Christophe & Wright, Brian D.
- 25-51 The indexation of interest, depreciation, and capital gains and tax reform in the United States
by Fullerton, Don
- 53-77 A model of tax reform for Belgium
by Wibaut, Serge
- 79-99 An economic model of the intake disposition of juvenile offenders
by Lang, Kevin & Bell, Duran
- 101-118 Unemployment benefits and unemployment rates revisited : A general equilibrium job search model
by Mavromaras, Kostas Gr.
- 119-124 The walrasian mechanism from equal division is not monotonic with respect to variations in the number of consumers
by Chichilnisky, Graciela & Thomson, William
- 125-132 The population monotonicity property and the transfer paradox
by Jones, Ronald W.
December 1986, Volume 31, Issue 3
- 269-285 The price of government ownership : A study of the Domtar takeover
by Boardman, Anthony & Freedman, Ruth & Eckel, Catherine
- 287-305 Shadow pricing with suboptimal policy rules
by Mookherjee, Dilip
- 307-327 Strategic bias and demand for public goods : Theory and an application to the arts
by Throsby, C. D. & Withers, Glenn A.
- 329-345 Randomization of commodity taxes : An expenditure minimization approach
by Chang, F. R. & Wildasin, D. E.
- 347-376 Capital income taxation in growing open economies
by Bovenberg, A. Lans
- 377-399 The redistributive roles of unemployment insurance and the dynamics of voting
by Wright, Randall
November 1986, Volume 31, Issue 2
- 131-161 Choice under uncertainty: A model of applications for the social security disability insurance program
by Halpern, Janice & Hausman, Jerry A.
- 163-179 The optimal linear income tax revisited
by Hellwig, Martin F.
- 181-195 Sequential procurement auctions
by Luton, Richard & McAfee, R. Preston
- 197-213 Taxes, intermediate goods, and relative prices : The case of variable coefficients
by Bhatia, Kul B.
- 215-236 A dynamic model of corruption deterrence
by Lui, Francis T.
- 237-251 Public pensions as optimal social contracts
by Veall, Michael R.
- 253-268 Sensitivity of `optimal' commodity tax rates to alternative demand functional forms : An econometric case study of India
by Ray, Ranjan
October 1986, Volume 31, Issue 1
- 1-24 Saving and the life-cycle : A Cohort analysis
by Tachibanaki, Toshiaki & Shimono, Keiko
- 25-52 Time inconsistency of benevolent government economies
by Tesfatsion, Leigh
- 53-78 Characterizations of the pivotal mechanism
by Moulin, H.
- 79-104 An intertemporal general equilibrium analysis of financial crowding out : A policy model and an application to Australia
by Feltenstein, Andrew
- 105-129 Duration dependence, targeted employment subsidies and unemployment benefits
by Hui, Weng T. & Trivedi, P. K.
August 1986, Volume 30, Issue 3
- 273-291 A pigovian rule for the optimum provision of public goods
by King, Mervyn A.
- 293-316 Optimal taxation and public production in an open dual economy
by Heady, Christopher J. & Mitra, Pradeep K.
- 317-328 Unemployment insurance and involuntary unemployment: The case of adverse selection
by Jones, Stephen R. G.
- 329-340 A general equilibrium analysis of financial regulation
by Varela, Oscar & Olson, Richard E.
- 341-357 Welfare and comparative statics implications of fair social security : A steady-state analysis
by Karni, Edi & Zilcha, Itzhak
- 359-368 Interindustry flows and the incidence of the corporate income tax
by Solow, John L.
- 369-383 Fraudulent collection of unemployment benefits : A theoretical analysis with reference to income tax evasion
by Yaniv, Gideon
- 385-393 Distributionally-neutral tax changes for different inequality concepts
by Pfingsten, Andreas
- 395-398 Wealth effects, treasury bill financing, perpetuity financing, and stability
by Shieh, Yeung-Nan
July 1986, Volume 30, Issue 2
- 137-143 Theory of optimal taxation
by Samuelson, P. A.
- 145-164 Household formation, housing prices, and public policy impacts
by Borsch-Supan, Axel
- 165-181 An upper bound on optimal income taxes
by Svensson, Lars-Gunnar & Weibull, Jorgen W.
- 183-198 On the optimal income taxation and educational decisions
by Tuomala, Matti
- 199-217 A reduced-form optimal nonlinear income tax problem
by Weymark, John A.
- 219-235 The optimal linear income tax with tax credits contingent on fertility
by Batina, Raymond G.
- 237-247 Overlapping generations, competitive efficiency and optimal population
by Kemp, Murray C. & Kondo, Hitoshi
- 249-257 Incentive compatible discount rates for public investment
by Rees, Ray
- 259-265 Cost-minimizing welfare programs
by Dye, Ronald A. & Antle, Rick
- 267-272 Bounds on the willingness to pay for non-traded goods : A possibility theorem
by Neill, Jon R.
June 1986, Volume 30, Issue 1
- 1-36 Project evaluation by potential tax reform
by Hammond, Peter J.
- 37-59 Tax incidence in a model with perfect foresight of agents and rationing in markets
by van de Klundert, Th. & Peters, P.
- 61-81 The short-run and long-run benefits of environmental improvement
by Scotchmer, Suzanne
- 83-96 Demand for collective goods in private nonprofit markets: Can fundraising expenditures help overcome free-rider behavior?
by Weisbrod, Burton A. & Dominguez, Nestor D.
- 97-107 Crime and punishment again: The economic approach with a psychological twist
by Dickens, William T.
- 109-116 Uncertain parameter values and the choice among policy options
by Fullerton, Don & Lyon, Andrew B.
- 117-128 The failure of Ricardian equivalence under progressive wealth taxation
by Abel, Andrew B.
- 129-134 Benevolent preferences and pure public goods
by Lemche, S. Q.
April 1986, Volume 29, Issue 3
- 263-279 Some analytics of the laffer curve
by Malcomson, James M.
- 281-294 The relative efficiency of public and private firms in a regulated environment: The case of U.S. electric utilities
by Atkinson, Scott E. & Halvorsen, Robert
- 295-316 Quality, quantity and total expenditures on publicly provided goods: the case of public mental hospitals
by Frank, Richard G. & Kamlet, Mark S.
- 317-332 The effect of regulation on nonuniform electricity price schedules in the united states
by Stephen Henderson, J.
- 333-345 Types of bureaucratic interaction
by Moene, Karl O.
- 347-362 Externality regulation and the monopoly firm
by Martin, Robert E.
- 363-373 The incidence of heterogeneous residential property taxes
by Hobson, Paul
- 375-381 Social criteria for evaluating population change: An alternative to the Blackorby-Donaldson criterion
by Ng, Yew-Kwang
- 383-387 Measurable welfare change with optimal commodity taxation
by Scafuri, Allen J.
March 1986, Volume 29, Issue 2
- 133-172 Commodity tax competition between member states of a federation: equilibrium and efficiency
by Mintz, Jack & Tulkens, Henry
- 173-197 Job search, wage offers, and unemployment insurance
by Blau, David M. & Robins, Philip K.
- 199-221 State restrictions on local debt : Their role in preventing default
by Epple, Dennis & Spatt, Chester
- 223-239 The optimal property tax with mobile nonresidential capital
by Turnbull, Geoffrey K. & Niho, Yoshio
- 241-253 Capital income taxation, depletion allowances, and nonrenewable resource extraction
by Gaudet, Gerard & Lasserre, Pierre
- 255-261 Less than single dividend taxation: A note
by Lund, Diderik
February 1986, Volume 29, Issue 1
- 1-24 Moral hazard and optimal commodity taxation
by Arnott, Richard & Stiglitz, Joseph E.
- 25-49 On the private provision of public goods
by Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal
- 51-77 Equilibrium taxation and experience rating in a federal system of unemployment insurance
by Adams, James D.
- 79-97 Equivalence scales, horizontal equity and optimal taxation under utilitarianism
by Balcer, Yves & Sadka, Efraim
- 99-112 Welfare effects of changing commodity tax rates toward uniformity
by Hatta, Tatsuo
- 113-132 A general equilibrium analysis of property tax incidence
by Lin, Chuan
December 1985, Volume 28, Issue 3
- 273-273 Nobel symposium 61 : The growth of government
by Lindbeck, Assar & Myhrman, Johan & Wittrock, Bjorn
- 275-285 Introduction: Reflections on the growth of government
by Myhrman, Johan
- 287-308 Excess bias and the nature of budget growth
by Musgrave, Richard A.
- 309-328 Redistribution policy and the expansion of the public sector
by Lindbeck, Assar
- 329-347 Public policies, pressure groups, and dead weight costs
by Becker, Gary S.
- 349-357 A cultural theory of expenditure growth and (Un)balanced budgets
by Wildavsky, Aaron
- 359-382 The causes of government expenditure growth: A survey of the U.S. evidence
by Borcherding, Thomas E.
- 383-399 The growth of government in the United States: An economic historian's perspective
by North, Douglass C.
November 1985, Volume 28, Issue 2
- 135-163 The social cost of labor and project evaluation: A general approach
by Sah, Raaj Kumar & Stiglitz, Joseph E.
- 165-209 An analysis of the stabilizing and welfare effects of intervention in spot and futures markets
by Campbell, Robert B. & Turnovsky, Stephen J.
- 211-231 Regulation of prices and pollution under incomplete information
by Baron, David P.
- 233-245 Debt and taxes in the theory of public finance
by Feldstein, Martin
- 247-254 Uniqueness of equilibrium in large-scale numerical general equilibrium models
by Kehoe, Timothy J. & Whalley, John
- 255-265 A note on the effects of capital income taxation on the dynamics of a competitive economy
by Danthine, Jean-Pierre & Donaldson, John B.
- 267-272 A note on the marginal tax rate in a finite economy
by Roell, Ailsa A.
October 1985, Volume 28, Issue 1
- 1-23 Input versus output incentive schemes
by Maskin, Eric & Riley, John
- 25-58 The impact of state economic differentials on household welfare and labor force behavior
by Blank, Rebecca M.
- 59-83 Redistributive taxation in a simple perfect foresight model
by Judd, Kenneth L.
- 85-94 Using corrective taxes to remedy consumer misperceptions
by Glazer, Amihai
- 95-110 The choice of excise taxes when savings and labour decisions are distorted
by Christiansen, Vidar
- 111-125 Correcting externalities through taxes on/subsidies to related goods
by Wijkander, Hans
- 127-134 Commodity taxes under uncertainty
by Fraser, R. W.
August 1985, Volume 27, Issue 3
- 261-280 Corporate finance side of the Q theory of investment
by Hayashi, Fumio
- 281-290 Taxation within Cournot oligopoly
by Levin, Dan