Are individual investors tax savvy? Evidence from retail and discount brokerage accounts
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Daniel R. Feenberg & James M. Poterba, 1991.
"Which Households Own Municipal Bonds? Evidence From Tax Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
3900, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenberg, D.R. & Poterba, J.M., 1991. "Which Households Own Municipal Bonds? Evidence from Tax Returns," Working papers 588, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Barclay, Michael J. & Pearson, Neil D. & Weisbach, Michael S., 1998. "Open-end mutual funds and capital-gains taxes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 3-43, July.
- Terrance Odean, 1998. "Are Investors Reluctant to Realize Their Losses?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(5), pages 1775-1798, October.
- Brad M. Barber & Terrance Odean, 2000. "Trading Is Hazardous to Your Wealth: The Common Stock Investment Performance of Individual Investors," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 773-806, April.
- Shefrin, Hersh & Statman, Meir, 1985. " The Disposition to Sell Winners Too Early and Ride Losers Too Long: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 777-790, July.
- Terrance Odean, 1999. "Do Investors Trade Too Much?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(5), pages 1279-1298, December.
- Brad M. Barber & Terrance Odean, 2001. "Boys will be Boys: Gender, Overconfidence, and Common Stock Investment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 116(1), pages 261-292.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zoran Ivković & James Poterba & Scott Weisbenner, 2005. "Tax-Motivated Trading by Individual Investors," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1605-1630, December.
- Ebrahim, M. Shahid & Mathur, Ike & ap Gwilym, Rhys, 2014. "Integrating corporate ownership and pension fund structures: A general equilibrium approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 553-569.
- Gene Amromin, 2008.
"Precautionary Savings Motives and Tax Efficiency of Household Portfolios: An Empirical Analysis,"
NBER Chapters,in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 22, pages 5-41
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eugene Amromin, 2005. "Precautionary savings motives and tax efficiency of household portfolios: an empirical analysis," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-01, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Geng Li & Paul A. Smith, 2009. "New evidence on 401(k) borrowing and household balance sheets," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2009-19, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hanlon, Michelle & Heitzman, Shane, 2010. "A review of tax research," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2-3), pages 127-178, December.
- Giuseppe Cappelletti & Giovanni Guazzarotti & Pietro Tommasino, 2013.
"Tax deferral and mutual fund inflows: evidence from a quasi-natural experiment,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
938, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Tommasino, Pietro & Cappelletti, Giuseppe & Guazzarotti, Giovanni, 2014. "Tax deferral and mutual fund inflows - evidence from a quasi-natural experiment," Working Paper Series 1664, European Central Bank.
- Zhou, Jie, 2009. "The asset location puzzle: Taxes matter," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 955-969, April.
- Orhan ERDEM & Evren ARIK & Serkan YÜKSEL, 2014. "Trading Puzzle, Puzzling Trade," Iktisat Isletme ve Finans, Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 29(345), pages 83-102.
- Ebrahim, M. Shahid & Mathur, Ike, 2013. "On the efficiency of the UPREIT organizational form: Implications for the subprime crisis and CDO's," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 85(C), pages 286-305.
- Johnson, Woodrow T. & Poterba, James M., 2016. "The effect of taxes on shareholder inflows around mutual fund distribution dates," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 7-19.
- Jakusch, Sven Thorsten & Meyer, Steffen & Hackethal, Andreas, 2016. "Taming models of prospect theory in the Wild? Estimation of Vlcek and Hens (2011)," SAFE Working Paper Series 146, Research Center SAFE - Sustainable Architecture for Finance in Europe, Goethe University Frankfurt.
- Kazuki Onji & Masanori Orihara, "undated". "Taxes, stock ownership, and payout policy: Evidence from a 2011 tax reform in Japan," Discussion papers ron278, Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan.
- Geng Li & Paul A. Smith, 2008. "Borrowing from yourself: 401(k) loans and household balance sheets," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2008-42, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Nemiroff, Howard B. & Zhang, Zhaohui & Escobar, Victor A., 2008. "Inter-broker trades and return performance on the Toronto stock exchange," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 258-268.
- Zhou, Jie, 2012. "Life-cycle stock market participation in taxable and tax-deferred accounts," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 1814-1829.
- Stephen T. Parente & Roger Feldman, 2008. "Do HSA Choices Interact with Retirement Savings Decisions?," NBER Chapters,in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 22, pages 81-108 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoon Cho & Brian Ciochetti & James Shilling, 2013. "Are Commercial Mortgage Defaults Affected by Tax Considerations?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Barber, Brad M. & Odean, Terrance, 2013. "The Behavior of Individual Investors," Handbook of the Economics of Finance, Elsevier.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pubeco:v:88:y:2004:i:1-2:p:419-442. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505578 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.