Does decentralization increase government responsiveness to local needs?: Evidence from Bolivia
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Bergstrom, Theodore C & Goodman, Robert P, 1973. "Private Demands for Public Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(3), pages 280-296, June.
- Oates, Wallace E, 1985. "Searching for Leviathan: An Empirical Study," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 748-757, September.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416-416.
- Jeffrey Zax, 1989. "Initiatives and government expenditures," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 63(3), pages 267-277, December.
- Rubinfeld, Daniel L & Shapiro, Perry & Roberts, Judith, 1987. "Tiebout Bias and the Demand for Local Public Schooling," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 426-437, August.
- John Joseph Wallis & Wallace E. Oates, 1988. "Decentralization in the Public Sector: An Empirical Study of State and Local Government," NBER Chapters, in: Fiscal Federalism: Quantitative Studies, pages 5-32, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Lars Feld, 2014.
"James Buchanan’s theory of federalism: from fiscal equity to the ideal political order,"
Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 231-252, September.
- Feld, Lars P., 2014. "James Buchanan's theory of federalism: From fiscal equity to the ideal political order," Freiburg Discussion Papers on Constitutional Economics 14/06, Walter Eucken Institut e.V..
- Qurat ul Ain & Tahir Yousaf & Yan Jie & Yasmeen Akhtar, 2020. "The Impact of Devolution on Government Size and Provision of Social Services: Evi¬dence from Pakistan," Hacienda Pública Española / Review of Public Economics, IEF, vol. 234(3), pages 105-135, September.
- Luiz De Mello, 2001. "Fiscal federalism and government size in transition economies: the case of Moldova," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(2), pages 255-268.
- Helsley, Robert W. & Strange, William C., 1998. "Private government," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 281-304, June.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Santiago Lago-Peñas & Agnese Sacchi, 2017.
"The Impact Of Fiscal Decentralization: A Survey,"
Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(4), pages 1095-1129, September.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Santiago Lago-Peñas & Agnese Sacchi, 2015. "The Impact of Fiscal Decentralization: A Survey," Working Papers. Collection A: Public economics, governance and decentralization 1505, Universidade de Vigo, GEN - Governance and Economics research Network.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Santiago Lago-Peñas & Agnese Sacchi, 2015. "The Impact of Fiscal Decentralization: A Survey," Working papers 29, Società Italiana di Economia Pubblica.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Santiago Lago-Peñas & Agnese Sacchi, 2015. "The Impact of Fiscal Decentralization: A Survey," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1502, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Martinez-Vazquez, Jorge & Rider, Mark & Walker, Mary Beth, 1997. "Race and the Structure of School Districts in the United States," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 281-300, March.
- Gebhard Kirchgassner, 2002.
"The effects of fiscal institutions on public finance: a survey of the empirical evidence,"
Chapters, in: Stanley L. Winer & Hirofumi Shibata (ed.), Political Economy and Public Finance, chapter 9,
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Gebhard Kirchgässner, 2001. "The Effects of Fiscal Institutions on Public Finance: A Survey of the Empirical Evidence," CESifo Working Paper Series 617, CESifo.
- Nicolai V. Kuminoff & V. Kerry Smith & Christopher Timmins, 2010. "The New Economics of Equilibrium Sorting and its Transformational Role for Policy Evaluation," NBER Working Papers 16349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Robert McNab, 1997. "Fiscal Decentralization, Economic Growth, and Democratic Governance," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper9707, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Landon, Stuart, 1999. "Education costs and institutional structure," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 327-345, June.
- Rexford E. Santerre, 1991. "Leviathan or Median-Voter: Who Runs City Hall?," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 17(1), pages 5-14, Jan-Mar.
- Cerniglia, Floriana, 2003. "Decentralization in the public sector: quantitative aspects in federal and unitary countries," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 749-776, November.
- Tidiane Ly, 2018.
"Sub-metropolitan tax competition with household and capital mobility,"
International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 25(5), pages 1129-1169, October.
- Tidiane Ly, 2016. "Sub-metropolitan Tax Competition with Household and Capital Mobility," Working Papers 1624, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique Lyon St-Étienne (GATE Lyon St-Étienne), Université de Lyon.
- Tidiane Ly, 2016. "Sub-metropolitan Tax Competition with Household and Capital Mobility," Working Papers halshs-01349869, HAL.
- Stephen Billings & Thomas Thibodeau, 2011. "Intrametropolitan Decentralization: Is Government Structure Capitalized in Residential Property Values?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 42(4), pages 416-450, May.
- Keith Brouhle & Jay Corrigan & Rachel Croson & Martin Farnham & Selhan Garip & Luba Habodaszova & Laurie Tipton Johnson & Martin Johnson & David Reiley, 2005.
"Local Residential Sorting and Public Goods Provision: A Classroom Demonstration,"
The Journal of Economic Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(4), pages 332-341, October.
- Keith Brouhle & Jay Corrigan & Rachel Croson & Martin Farnham & Selhan Garip & Luba Habodaszova & Laurie Tipton Johnson & Martin Johnson & David Reiley, 2005. "Local Residential Sorting and Public Goods Provision: A Classroom Demonstration," Working Papers 0502, Kenyon College, Department of Economics.
- Brunner, Eric & Sonstelie, Jon, 2003. "School finance reform and voluntary fiscal federalism," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(9-10), pages 2157-2185, September.
- Wildasin, David E. & Wilson, John Douglas, 1996. "Imperfect mobility and local government behaviour in an overlapping-generations model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 177-198, May.
- George Crowley & Russell Sobel, 2011. "Does fiscal decentralization constrain Leviathan? New evidence from local property tax competition," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 149(1), pages 5-30, October.
- Rongen, Gunnar, 1995. "Efficiency in the provision of local public goods in Norway," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 253-264, June.
- Blankart Charles B. & Koester Gerrit B., 2007. "Theoretischer und empirischer wissenschaftlicher Fortschritt / Theoretical and empirical scientific progress: Eine kritische Analyse des Buches von Alesina und Spolaore: „The Size of Nations“ / A crit," ORDO. Jahrbuch für die Ordnung von Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft, De Gruyter, vol. 58(1), pages 167-180, January.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pubeco:v:88:y:2004:i:3-4:p:867-893. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505578 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.