Fiscal federalism and government size in transition economies: the case of Moldova
This paper examines the relationship between fiscal decentralization-the assignment of revenue sources and expenditure functions across government levels-and government size in Moldova. The empirical results-based on data for a cross-section of Moldovan sub-national government in 1998-suggest that fiscal decentralization is associated with larger sub-national governments and that the country's revenue-sharing system imposes a constraint on sub-national revenue mobilization capacity. Copyright © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 13 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416.
- Ashworth, John & Gemmell, Norman, 1996. " Local Governments' Monopoly Power and Local Tax Reform: Theory and Evidence from the U.K," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 89(3-4), pages 393-417, December.
- Winer, Stanley L, 1983. "Some Evidence on the Effect of the Separation of Spending and Taxing Decisions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 126-40, February.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521233293 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dollery, Brian E & Worthington, Andrew C, 1996. " The Empirical Analysis of Fiscal Illusion," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 261-97, September.
- Oates, Wallace E, 1985. "Searching for Leviathan: An Empirical Study," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 748-57, September.
- P.J. Grossman & E. West, 1991.
"Federalism and the Growth of Government Revisited,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
91-05, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- John Joseph Wallis & Wallace E. Oates, 1988. "Decentralization in the Public Sector: An Empirical Study of State and Local Government," NBER Chapters, in: Fiscal Federalism: Quantitative Studies, pages 5-32 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cullis, J. G. & Jones, P. R. & Morrissey, O., 1993. "The charge of the tax brigade : A case study of government failure and tax reforms," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 407-425, August.
- Zax, Jeffrey S, 1989. "Is There a Leviathan in Your Neighborhood?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 560-67, June.
- Inman, Robert P. & Rubinfeld, Daniel L., 1996. "Designing tax policy in federalist economies: An overview," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 307-334, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:13:y:2001:i:2:p:255-268. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.