Linking CGE and Microsimulation Models: A Comparison of Different Approaches
In the paper we describe in detail how to build linked CGE-microsimulation models (using fictitious data) following three main approaches: one in accordance with the fully integrated approach and the other two according to the layered approach – the so-called Top-Down and Top-Down/Bottom-Up approaches. After this, we implement the same policy reform in each of the three models. Results show that all three approaches yield different results especially in terms of income distribution and poverty, although analysed within the same economy and under the same policy simulation. We then analyse in more detail the TD/BU approach as developed by Savard (2003) and, in order to avoid possible deviations due to data inconsistencies, we propose an alternative way of taking into account feedback effects from the micro level of analysis into the CGE model.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caesar B. Cororaton & John Cockburn, 2005. "Trade Reform and Poverty in the Philippines: a Computable General Equilibrium Microsimulation Analysis," Cahiers de recherche 0513, CIRPEE.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Davies, James B., 2004. "Microsimulation, CGE and Macro Modelling for Transition and Developing Economies," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Arntz, Melanie & Boeters, Stefan & Gürtzgen, Nicole & Schubert, Stefanie, 2008.
"Analysing welfare reform in a microsimulation-AGE model: The value of disaggregation,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 422-439, May.
- Arntz, Melanie & Boeters, Stefan & Gürtzgen, Nicole & Schubert, Stefanie, 2006. "Analysing welfare reform in a microsimulation-AGE model: the value of disaggregation," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-76, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Luc Savard, 2004.
"Poverty and Inequality Analysis within a CGE Framework: a Comparative Analysis of the Representative Agent and Micro-Simulation Approaches,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Luc Savard, 2005. "Poverty and Inequality Analysis within a CGE Framework: A Comparative Analysis of the Representative Agent and Microsimulation Approaches," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 23(3), pages 313-331, 05.
- Decaluwe, B. & Patry, A. & Savard, L. & Thorbecke, E., 1999.
"Poverty Analysis Within a General Equilibrium Framework,"
9909, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Decaluwe, B. & Patry, A. & Savard, L. & Thorbecke, E., 1999. "Poverty Analysis Within a General Equilibrium Framework," Cahiers de recherche 9909, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Robilliard, Anne-Sophie & Robinson, Sherman, 1999.
"Reconciling household surveys and national accounts data using a cross entropy estimation method:,"
TMD discussion papers
50, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Anne-Sophie Robilliard & Sherman Robinson, 2003. "Reconciling Household Surveys and National Accounts Data Using a Cross Entropy Estimation Method," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 49(3), pages 395-406, 09.
- Robinson, Sherman & Cattaneo, Andrea & El-Said, Moataz, 2000.
"Updating and estimating a Social Accounting Matrix using cross entropy methods,"
TMD discussion papers
58, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Sherman Robinson & Andrea Cattaneo & Moataz El-Said, 2001. "Updating and Estimating a Social Accounting Matrix Using Cross Entropy Methods," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 47-64.
- James J. Heckman, 1976. "The Common Structure of Statistical Models of Truncation, Sample Selection and Limited Dependent Variables and a Simple Estimator for Such Models," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 5, number 4, pages 475-492 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francisco Ferreira & Julie Litchfield, 2001. "Education or Inflation? The Micro and Macroeconomics of the Brazilian Income Distribution During 1981-1995," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 38(114), pages 209-238.
- John Cockburn, 2004.
"Trade Liberalisation and Poverty in Nepal A Computable General Equilibrium Micro Simulation Analysis,"
Development and Comp Systems
- John Cockburn, 2002. "Trade Liberalisation and Poverty in Nepal A Computable General Equilibrium Micro Simulation Analysis," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2002-11, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- John Cockburn, 2002. "Trade Liberalisation and Poverty in Nepal: A Computable General Equilibrium Micro Simulation Analysis," CSAE Working Paper Series 2002-11, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- John Creedy & Guyonne Kalb & Rosanna Scutella, 2003.
"Discrete Hours Labour Supply Modelling: Specification, Estimation and Simulation,"
Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series
wp2003n21, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- John Creedy & Guyonne Kalb, 2005. "Discrete Hours Labour Supply Modelling: Specification, Estimation and Simulation," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(5), pages 697-734, December.
- John Creedy & Guyonne Kalb, 2003. "Discrete Hours Labour Supply Modelling: Specification, Estimation and Simulation," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2003n16, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- John Creedy & Guyonne Kalb, 2003. "Discrete Hours Labour Supply Modelling: Specification, Estimation and Simulation," Treasury Working Paper Series 03/20, New Zealand Treasury.
- Shoven, John B & Whalley, John, 1984. "Applied General-Equilibrium Models of Taxation and International Trade: An Introduction and Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 1007-51, September.
- Maurizio Bussolo & Jann Lay, 2003.
"Globalisation and Poverty Changes in Colombia,"
OECD Development Centre Working Papers
226, OECD Publishing.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521266550 is not listed on IDEAS
- François Bourguignon & Maurizio Bussolo & Luiz A. Pereira da Silva, 2008. "The Impact of Macroeconomic Policies on Poverty and Income Distribution : Macro-Micro Evaluation Techniques and Tools," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6586.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Luc Savard, 2003. "Poverty and Income Distribution in a CGE-Household Micro-Simulation Model: Top-Down/Bottom Up Approach," Cahiers de recherche 0343, CIRPEE.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Cogneau, Denis & Robilliard, Anne-Sophie, 2000. "Growth, distribution and poverty in Madagascar," TMD discussion papers 61, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Riccardo Magnani & Jean Mercenier, 2007. "On linking microsimulation and applied GE by exact aggregation of heterogeneous discrete-choice making agents," THEMA Working Papers 2007-06, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Denis Cogneau, 2001.
"Formation du revenu, segmentation et discrimination sur le marché du travail d'une ville en développement : Antananarivo fin de siècle,"
DT/2001/18, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Cogneau, Denis, 2001. "Formation du revenu, segmentation et discrimination sur le marché du travail d’une ville en développement : Antananarivo fin de siècle," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4584, Paris Dauphine University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:7377. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.