A survey of dynamic microsimulation models: uses, model structure and methodology
More than 10 years ago O’Donoghue (2001a) surveyed the dynamic microsimulation models that had been developed up to that point. However many of the barriers mentioned have been gradually overcome in the last decade . This paper surveys the development and practices in dynamic microsimulation over the past decade, and discusses the methodological challenges today. It provides an overview of the methodological choices made in more than 60 known dynamic microsimulation models and examines the advantages and disadvantages of different practices. In addition, this paper reviews the main progress made in the field and explores how future microsimulation models could evolve potentially.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Albert Ando & Andrea Moro, 1995. "Demographic Dynamics, Labor Force Participation and Household Asset Accumulation: Case of Japan," NBER Working Papers 5261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anders Klevmarken, N., 2002.
"Statistical inference in micro-simulation models: incorporating external information,"
Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM),
Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 255-265.
- Klevmarken, N. Anders, 1998. "Statistical Inference in Micro Simulation Models: Incorporating external information," Working Paper Series 1998:20, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Klevmarken, N.A., 1998. "Statistical Inference in Micro Simulation Models: Incorporationg External Information," Papers 1998:20, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- N. Anders Klevmarken, 1997.
"Behavioral Modeling in Micro Simulation Models. A Survey,"
Working Paper Series
1997:31, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Klevmarken, N.A., 1997. "Behavioral Modeling in Micro Simulation Models. A Survey," Papers 1997-31, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Eliasson, Gunnar, 1991. "Modeling the experimentally organized economy : Complex dynamics in an empirical micro-macro model of endogenous economic growth," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 153-182, July.
- Ahmed, Vaqar & O' Donoghue, Cathal, 2007. "CGE-Microsimulation Modelling: A Survey," MPRA Paper 9307, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robilliard, Anne-Sophie & Robinson, Sherman, 1999.
"Reconciling household surveys and national accounts data using a cross entropy estimation method:,"
TMD discussion papers
50, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Anne-Sophie Robilliard & Sherman Robinson, 2003. "Reconciling Household Surveys and National Accounts Data Using a Cross Entropy Estimation Method," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 49(3), pages 395-406, 09.
- Eliasson, Gunnar, 1977. "Competition and Market Processes in a Simulation Model of the Swedish Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(1), pages 277-81, February.
- Cathal O’Donoghue & John Lennon & Stephen Hynes, 2009.
"The Life-Cycle Income Analysis Model (LIAM): A Study of a Flexible Dynamic Microsimulation Modelling Computing Framework,"
CeRP Working Papers
85, Center for Research on Pensions and Welfare Policies, Turin (Italy).
- Cathal O'Donoghue & John Lennon & Stephen Hynes, 2009. "The Life-Cycle Income Analysis Model (LIAM): a study of a flexible dynamic microsimulation modelling computing framework," International Journal of Microsimulation, International Microsimulation Association, vol. 2(1), pages 16-31.
- Nelissen, Jan H. M., 1998.
"Annual versus lifetime income redistribution by social security,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 223-249, May.
- Nelissen, J.H.M., 1995. "Annual versus lifetime income redistribution by social security," WORC Paper 95.05.008/2, Tilburg University, Work and Organization Research Centre.
- Goldman Dana P & Cutler David M & Shang Baoping & Joyce Geoffrey F, 2006. "The Value of Elderly Disease Prevention," Forum for Health Economics & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 9(2), pages 1-29, January.
- Roberto Leombruni & Matteo Richiardi, 2006.
"LABORsim: An Agent-Based Microsimulation of Labour Supply – An Application to Italy,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 27(1), pages 63-88, February.
- Roberto Leombruni & Matteo Richiardi, 2006. "LABORsim: an Agent-Based Microsimulation of Labour Supply. An Application to Italy," LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series 46, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Gijs Dekkers, 2015. "The simulation properties of microsimulation models with static and dynamic ageing – a brief guide into choosing one type of model over the other," International Journal of Microsimulation, International Microsimulation Association, vol. 8(1), pages 97-109.
- Keister,Lisa A., 2000. "Wealth in America," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521627511.
- Luc Savard, 2003. "Poverty and Income Distribution in a CGE-Household Micro-Simulation Model: Top-Down/Bottom Up Approach," Cahiers de recherche 0343, CIRPEE.
- Dekkers, G.J.M. & Nelissen, J.H.M. & Verbon, H.A.A., 1993. "The macro model programme sector of the microsimulation model NEDYMAS," WORC Paper 93.08.016/2, Tilburg University, Work and Organization Research Centre.
- Jinjing Li & Cathal O'Donoghue, 2012. "Simulating Histories within Dynamic Microsimulation Models," International Journal of Microsimulation, International Microsimulation Association, vol. 5(1), pages 52-76.
- Joachim, Merz & Henning, Stolz & Markus, Zwick, 2002.
"Professions, entrepreneurs, employees and the new German tax (cut) reform 2000 - A MICSIM microsimulation analysis of distributional impacts,"
6345, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joachim Merz & Henning Stolze & Markus Zwick, 2002. "Professions, entrepreneurs, employees and the new German tax (cut) reform 2000 - A MICSIM microsimulation analysis of distributional impacts," FFB-Discussionpaper 34, Research Institute on Professions (Forschungsinstitut Freie Berufe (FFB)), LEUPHANA University Lüneburg.
- Albert Ando & Sergio Nicoletti-Altimari, 2004. "A micro simulation model of demographic development and households' economic behavior in Italy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 533, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Peichl, Andreas & Schneider, Hilmar & Siegloch, Sebastian, 2010. "Documentation IZAΨMOD: The IZA Policy SImulation MODel," IZA Discussion Papers 4865, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John Creedy & Alan S. Duncan & Mark Harris & Rosanna Scutella, 2002. "Microsimulation Modelling of Taxation and the Labour Market," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 2796.
- Pierre Courtioux & Stéphane Gregoir & Dede Houeto, 2009. "The Simulation of the Educational Output over the Life Course: The GAMEO Model," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00391393, HAL.
- Rebecca Cassells & Ann Harding & Simon Kelly, 2006. "Problems and Prospects for Dynamic Microsimulation: A review and lessons for APPSIM," NATSEM Working Paper Series 63, University of Canberra, National Centre for Social and Economic Modelling.
- Keister,Lisa A., 2000. "Wealth in America," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521621687.
- Massimo Baldini, 2001. "Inequality and Redistribution over the Life-Cycle in Italy: an Analysis with a Dynamic Cohort Microsimulation Model," Brazilian Electronic Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, vol. 4(2), December.
- Thomas Sauerbier, 2002. "UMDBS - a New Tool for Dynamic Microsimulation," Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, vol. 5(2), pages 5.
- Carlo Mazzaferro & Marcello Morciano, 2012.
"CAPP_DYN: A Dynamic Microsimulation Model for the Italian Social Security System,"
Center for the Analysis of Public Policies (CAPP)
0048, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- Carlo Mazzaferro & Marcello Morciano, 2008. "CAPP_DYN: A Dynamic Microsimulation Model for the Italian Social Security System," Department of Economics 0595, University of Modena and Reggio E., Faculty of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Pudney, Stephen & Sutherland, Holly, 1994. "How reliable are microsimulation results? : An analysis of the role of sampling error in a U.K. tax-benefit model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 327-365, March.
- Riccardo Boero & Flaminio Squazzoni, 2005. "Does Empirical Embeddedness Matter? Methodological Issues on Agent-Based Models for Analytical Social Science," Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, vol. 8(4), pages 6.
- Dekkers, Gijs, 2010. "On the impact of indexation and demographic ageing on inequality among pensioners," MPRA Paper 36136, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Creedy, John & van de Ven, Justin, 2001. "Decomposing Redistributive Effects of Taxes and Transfers in Australia: Annual and Lifetime Measures," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 185-98, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijm:journl:v:6:y:2013:i:2:p:3-55. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jinjing Li)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.