Combining microsimulation with CGE and macro modelling for distributional analysis in developing and transition countries
This paper overviews recent work that has attempted to bring together microsimulation, Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) and macro models to perform distributional analysis in developing and transition countries. Particular attention is paid to applications relating to aspects of economic growth and political economy. Applications in which macro, CGE and microsimulation models are either layered or integrated are considered. It is demonstrated that different combinations of such models, including those where only a single model-type is used, are appropriate for different problems. For short-run impact analysis, microsimulation on its own may be appropriate. For longer-run analyses, where interest is in the interrelationship between changes in disposable income, consumption and labour supply, these models need to be supplemented a combination of microsimulation on the one hand, and general equilibrium price changes or changes in macro variables on the other hand. In the case of national subregions, or countries embedded in free-trade areas, it is argued that microsimulation may adequately be combined with pure macro models. That is, CGE modelling may not be necessary. For distinct national economies, however, the first step beyond microsimulation should likely be integration with CGE modelling. Whilst much promising work has been undertaken on dynamic integrated CGE microsimulation work in developing countries, CGE work is most advanced for Less Developed Countries. At present several groups of development researchers are found to be putting these two approaches together, and in some cases are adding macroeconomic and financial modelling as well. In contrast, with a few conspicuous exceptions, little such work is being done for the transition economies.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Cockburn, 2002.
"Trade Liberalisation and Poverty in Nepal: A Computable General Equilibrium Micro Simulation Analysis,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2002-11, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- John Cockburn, 2004. "Trade Liberalisation and Poverty in Nepal A Computable General Equilibrium Micro Simulation Analysis," Development and Comp Systems 0409012, EconWPA.
- François Bourguignon & Maurizio Bussolo & Luiz A. Pereira da Silva, 2008. "The Impact of Macroeconomic Policies on Poverty and Income Distribution : Macro-Micro Evaluation Techniques and Tools," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6586.
- Luc Savard, 2005. "Poverty and Inequality Analysis within a CGE Framework: A Comparative Analysis of the Representative Agent and Microsimulation Approaches," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 23(3), pages 313-331, 05.
- Luc Savard, 2004. "Poverty and Inequality Analysis within a CGE Framework: a Comparative Analysis of the Representative Agent and Micro-Simulation Approaches," Cahiers de recherche 0412, CIRPEE.
- Luc Savard, 2005. "Poverty and Inequality Analysis within a CGE Framework: A Comparative Analysis of the Representative Agent and Microsimulation Approaches," Post-Print hal-00813583, HAL.
- Nicolaas Groenewold & Alfred J. Hagger & John R. Madden, 2001. "Competitive Federalism: A Political-Economy General Equilibrium Approach," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 01-10, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- John Cockburn & Luc Savard & Luca Tiberti, 2015. "Macro-Micro Models," Cahiers de recherche 15-08, Departement d'Economique de l'École de gestion à l'Université de Sherbrooke.
- John Cockburn & Luc Savard & Luca Tiberti, 2015. "Macro-Micro Models," Working Papers MPIA 2015-12, PEP-MPIA.
- John Cockburn & Luc Savard & Luca Tiberti, 2015. "Macro-Micro Models," Working Papers PMMA 2015-12, PEP-PMMA.
- Luc Savard, 2003. "Poverty and Income Distribution in a CGE-Household Micro-Simulation Model: Top-Down/Bottom Up Approach," Cahiers de recherche 0343, CIRPEE.
- François Bourguignon & Anne-Sophie Robilliard & Sherman Robinson, 2003. "Representative versus real households in the macro-economic modeling of inequality," Working Papers DT/2003/10, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- François Bourguignon & Anne-Sophie Robilliard & Sherman Robinson, 2003. "Representative versus real households in the macro-economic modeling of inequality," DELTA Working Papers 2003-05, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Jenkins, Glenn P. & Kuo, Chun-Yan, 2000. "A VAT Revenue Simulation Model for Tax Reform in Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 763-774, April.
- Jenkins, G-P & Kuo, C-Y, 1995. "A Vat Revenue Simulation Model for Tax Reform in Developing Countries," Papers 522, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Cogneau, Denis & Robilliard, Anne-Sophie, 2000. "Growth, distribution and poverty in Madagascar," TMD discussion papers 61, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Diao, Xinshen & Fan, Shenggen & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2002. "How China's WTO accession affects rural economy in the less-developed regions," TMD discussion papers 87, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Huggett, Mark, 1996. "Wealth distribution in life-cycle economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 469-494, December.
- Galinis, Arvydas & van Leeuwen, Marko J., 2000. "A CGE Model for Lithuania: The Future of Nuclear Energy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 691-718, November.
- Sulamaa, Pekka & WidgrÉn, Mika, 2002. "EU-Enlargement and the Opening of Russia: Lessons from the GTAP Reference Model," Discussion Papers 825, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Sutherland, Holly, 2001. "EUROMOD: an integrated European benefit-tax model: final report," EUROMOD Working Papers EM9/01, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Rutherford, Thomas & Tarr, David & Shepotylo, Oleksandr, 2005. "The impact on Russia of WTO accession and the Doha agenda : the importance of liberalization of barriers against foreign direct investment in services for growth and poverty reduction," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3725, The World Bank.
- Breece, James H, et al, 1994. "Using the Murphy Model to Provide Short-run Macroeconomic Closure for ORANI," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 70(210), pages 292-314, September.
- James H. Breece & Keith R. McLaren & Chris W. Murphy & Alan A. Powell, 1991. "Using the Murphy Model to Provide Short-Run Macroeconomic Closure for ORANI," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers ip-56, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Decaluwe, B. & Patry, A. & Savard, L. & Thorbecke, E., 1999. "Poverty Analysis Within a General Equilibrium Framework," Cahiers de recherche 9909, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Decaluwe, B. & Patry, A. & Savard, L. & Thorbecke, E., 1999. "Poverty Analysis Within a General Equilibrium Framework," Papers 9909, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Perroni, C. & Rutherford, T.F., 1995. "A Comparison of the Performance of Flexible Functional Forms for Use in Applied General Equilibrium Analysis," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 441, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Ballot, Gérard & Taymaz, Erol, 1993. "Firm-Sponsored Training, Technical Progress and Aggregate Performance in a Micro-Macro Model," Working Paper Series 402, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- François Bourguignon & Martin Fournier & Marc Gurgand, 1999. "Fast Development with a Stable Income Distribution : Taiwan, 1979-1994," Working Papers 99-21, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bourguignon, F. & Fournier, M. & Gurgand, M., 2000. "Fast Development with a Stable Income Distribution: Taiwan, 1979-1994," DELTA Working Papers 2000-07, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Cororaton, Caesar B. & Cockburn, John, 2007. "Trade reform and poverty--Lessons from the Philippines: A CGE-microsimulation analysis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 141-163.
- Nabil Annabi & Fatou Cissé & John Cockburn & Bernard Decaluwé, 2005. "Trade Liberalisation, Growth and Poverty in Senegal: a Dynamic Microsimulation CGE Model Analysis," Working Papers 2005-07, CEPII research center.
- Nabil Annabi & Fatou Cissé & John Cockburn & Bernard Decaluwé, 2005. "Trade Liberalisation, Growth and Poverty in Senegal: a Dynamic Microsimulation CGE Model Analysis," Cahiers de recherche 0512, CIRPEE.
- Dorothée Boccanfuso & Bernard Decaluwé & Luc Savard, 2008. "Poverty, income distribution and CGE micro-simulation modeling: Does the functional form of distribution matter?," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 6(2), pages 149-184, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)