An economic analysis of online streaming. How the music industry can generate revenues from cloud computing
This paper investigates the upcoming business model of online streaming services allowing music consumers either to subscribe to a service which provides free-of-charge access to streaming music and which is funded by advertising, or to pay a monthly flat fee in order to get ad-free access to the content of the service accompanied with additional benefits. By imposing a two-sided market model on the one hand combined with a direct transaction between the streaming service and its flat-rate subscribers on the other hand, the investigation shows that it can be highly profitable to launch a business which is free-of-charge for subscribers if advertising imposes a weak nuisance to music consumers. If this is the case, and by imposing an endogenously determined level of advertising which is provided by homogeneous advertisers, we find that a monopolistic streaming service increases the price for its flat-rate subscribers in order to stimulate free-of-charge demand and to capture higher revenues from advertisers. An extension of the model by illegal file-sharing shows that an increase in copyright enforcement shifts rents from music consumers to the monopolist.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: L 7,1; D - 68161 Mannheim|
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Novos, Ian E & Waldman, Michael, 1984. "The Effects of Increased Copyright Protection: An Analytic Approach," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(2), pages 236-246, April.
- Duchene, Anne & Waelbroeck, Patrick, 2006. "The legal and technological battle in the music industry: Information-push versus information-pull technologies," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 565-580, December.
- Peitz, Martin & Waelbroeck, Patrick, 2006. "Why the music industry may gain from free downloading -- The role of sampling," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 907-913, September.
- Regner, Tobias & Barria, Javier A., 2009.
"Do consumers pay voluntarily? The case of online music,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 395-406, August.
- Tobias Regner & Javier A. Barria, 2007. "Do Consumers Pay Voluntarily? The Case of Online Music," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-011, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Tobias Regner & Javier A. Barria, 2009. "Do Consumers Pay Voluntarily? The Case of Online Music," Post-Print hal-00686341, HAL.
- Amit Gayer & Oz Shy, 2005. "Copyright Enforcement in the Digital Era," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 51(2-3), pages 477-489.
- Bhattacharjee, Sudip & Gopal, Ram D & Lertwachara, Kaveepan & Marsden, James R, 2006. "Impact of Legal Threats on Online Music Sharing Activity: An Analysis of Music Industry Legal Actions," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 49(1), pages 91-114, April.
- Simon P., ANDERSON & Jean J., GABSZEWICZ, 2005.
"The media and advertising : a table of two-sided markets,"
Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques)
2005060, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Anderson, Simon P. & Gabszewicz, Jean J., 2006. "The Media and Advertising: A Tale of Two-Sided Markets," Handbook of the Economics of Art and Culture, Elsevier.
- ANDERSON, Simon P. & GABSZEWICZ, Jean J., 2005. "The media and advertising : a tale of two-sided markets," CORE Discussion Papers 2005088, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- ANDERSON, Simon P. & GABSZEWICZ, Jean J., "undated". "The media and advertising: a tale of two-sidedmarkets," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1888, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Anderson, Simon P & Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold, 2005. "The Media and Advertising: A Tale of Two-Sided Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 5223, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Liebowitz, Stan J, 2006. "File Sharing: Creative Destruction or Just Plain Destruction?," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 49(1), pages 1-28, April.
- Peitz, Martin & Valletti, Tommaso, 2004.
"Content and Advertising in the Media: Pay-TV versus Free-To-Air,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4771, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peitz, Martin & Valletti, Tommaso M., 2008. "Content and advertising in the media: Pay-tv versus free-to-air," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 949-965, July.
- Gayer, Amit & Shy, Oz, 2003. "Internet and peer-to-peer distributions in markets for digital products," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 197-203, November.
- BELLEFLAMME, Paul & PEITZ, Martin, 2010.
"Digital piracy : theory,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2010060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Choi, Jay Pil, 2006. "Broadcast competition and advertising with free entry: Subscription vs. free-to-air," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 181-196, June.
- Ben Shiller & Joel Waldfogel, 2009. "Music for a Song: An Empirical Look at Uniform Song Pricing and its Alternatives," NBER Working Papers 15390, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan B. Krueger, 2005. "The Economics of Real Superstars: The Market for Rock Concerts in the Material World," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 23(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Simon P. Anderson & Stephen Coate, 2005.
"Market Provision of Broadcasting: A Welfare Analysis,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 72(4), pages 947-972.
- Simon P. Anderson & Stephen Coate, 2003. "Market Provision of Broadcasting: A Welfare Analysis," Virginia Economics Online Papers 358, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:11039. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.