Banning Ads from Prime-Time State TV: Lessons from France
We analyse the effects of the advertising ban on French public television, which came into effect on the 5th of January 2009. The ban forbids commercial advertising on public TV in the time slot 20.00-6.00. By using a difference-in-difference approach we show that advertising which was previously broadcasted on public TV in the time slot 20.00-6.00 did not switch to private channels in the same time slot (nor did the price per second in that time slot on private channels rise). Rather advertising partly switched to public TV in the time slot 6.00-20.00. The trend away from aerial towards non-aerial TV channels continued but was not increased. The common expectation that the ban would favour private TV channels at the expense of public ones was therefore wrong. Interestingly, the relative audience of public to private TV did not tilt in favour of public TV. This suggests that advertising aversion is not the driving parameter at work. More likely, for advertisers, viewers of public TV in the slot 6.00-20.00 are closer substitutes for viewers of public TV in the slot 20.00-6.00 than are viewers of private TV channels in the slot 20.00-6.00.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Armstrong, 2005.
"Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
- Simon P. Anderson & Stephen Coate, 2003.
"Market Provision of Broadcasting: A Welfare Analysis,"
Virginia Economics Online Papers
358, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Simon P. Anderson & Stephen Coate, 2005. "Market Provision of Broadcasting: A Welfare Analysis," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(4), pages 947-972.
- Peitz, Martin & Valletti, Tommaso, 2004.
"Content and Advertising in the Media: Pay-TV versus Free-To-Air,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4771, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peitz, Martin & Valletti, Tommaso M., 2008. "Content and advertising in the media: Pay-tv versus free-to-air," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 949-965, July.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2014.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Competition Policy International, vol. 10.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002.
"Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Wright, Donald J, 1994.
"Television Advertising Regulation and Program Quality,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 70(211), pages 361-67, December.
- Wright, Donald J., 1992. "Television Advertising Regulation And Programme Quality," Working Papers 178, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:3:p:645-667 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stühmeier Torben & Wenzel Tobias, 2012.
"Regulating Advertising in the Presence of Public Service Broadcasting,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(2), pages 1-23, June.
- Stühmeier, Torben & Wenzel, Tobias, 2012. "Regulating advertising in the presence of public service broadcasting," DICE Discussion Papers 41, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Spence, A Michael & Owen, Bruce, 1977. "Television Programming, Monopolistic Competition, and Welfare," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 91(1), pages 103-26, February.
- Choi, Jay Pil, 2006. "Broadcast competition and advertising with free entry: Subscription vs. free-to-air," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 181-196, June.
- Beebe, Jack H, 1977. "Institutional Structure and Program Choices in Television Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 91(1), pages 15-37, February.
- Kremhelmer, Susanne & Zenger, Hans, 2008. "Advertising and the screening role of mass media," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 107-119, June.
- Marc Bourreau & Christian Grece, 2011. "L'impact de la suppression de la publicité sur les chaînes de télévision publiques," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 62(5), pages 781-811.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:net:wpaper:1223. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicholas Economides)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.