Spatial allocation of capital: The role of risk preferences
This paper considers a model of spatial allocation of investment capital under uncertainty. We demonstrate that the spatial concentration of economic activity depends upon properties of risk preferences deeper than risk aversion. The degree of so-called relative prudence unambiguously decides whether or not the diversi cation of income risk favours the geographic dispersion of economic activity. In our framework we relate risk diversi cation with economic integration. Then there exists risk preferences so that spatial concentration of industry and capital is not a ected by the degree of economic integration or segmentation of the regions. We also study the impact of net return regressibility upon spatial allocation.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++49 351 463 2196
Fax: ++49 351 463 7739
Web page: http://www.tu-dresden.de/wiwi/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven Brakman & Harry Garretsen (ed.), 2008. "Foreign Direct Investment and the Multinational Enterprise," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262026457, June.
- Udo Broll & Jack E. Wahl & Wing-Keung Wong, 2005.
"Elasticity of risk aversion and international trade,"
Monash Economics Working Papers
07/05, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Broll, Udo & Wahl, Jack E. & Wong, Wing-Keung, 2006. "Elasticity of risk aversion and international trade," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 126-130, July.
- Udo Broll & Jack E. Wahl & Wing-Keung Wong, 2005. "Elasticity of risk aversion and international trade," Departmental Working Papers wp0510, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- Steven Brakman & Harry Garretsen & Charles van Marrewijk, 2006. "Agglomeration and Aid," CESifo Working Paper Series 1750, CESifo Group Munich.
- Shu-hen Chiang, 2009. "The effects of industrial diversification on regional unemployment in Taiwan: is the portfolio theory applicable?," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(4), pages 947-962, December.
- Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J., 1995.
"Globalization and the Inequality of Nations,"
Working Paper Series
430, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Paul Krugman & Anthony J. Venables, 1995. "Globalization and the Inequality of Nations," NBER Working Papers 5098, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J, 1994. "Globalization and the Inequality of Nations," CEPR Discussion Papers 1015, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Friend, Irwin & Blume, Marshall E, 1975. "The Demand for Risky Assets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(5), pages 900-922, December.
- José Pedro Pontes, 2005. "Intermediate goods and the location of productive activity," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 11-24, 03.
- Diego Puga, 2002.
"European regional policies in light of recent location theories,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 2(4), pages 373-406, October.
- Puga, Diego, 2001. "European Regional Policies in Light of Recent Location Theories," CEPR Discussion Papers 2767, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Pflüger & Jens Südekum, 2004.
"Integration, Agglomeration and Welfare,"
Working Papers of the Research Group Heterogenous Labor
04-24, Research Group Heterogeneous Labor, University of Konstanz/ZEW Mannheim.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1989.
"Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large,"
NBER Working Papers
2848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1990. "Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 53-73, January.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian Lundblad & Stephan Siegel, 2004.
"Global Growth Opportunities and Market Integration,"
NBER Working Papers
10990, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian Lundblad & Stephan Siegel, 2007. "Global Growth Opportunities and Market Integration," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(3), pages 1081-1137, 06.
- V.N. Balasubramanyam, 2008. "Foreign Direct Investment," Chapters, in: International Handbook of Development Economics, Volumes 1 & 2, chapter 39 Edward Elgar.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1993.
"Standard Risk Aversion,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(3), pages 589-611, May.
- Meyer, Jack, 1987. "Two-moment Decision Models and Expected Utility Maximization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 421-30, June.
- Bernard Fingleton, 2008. "A Generalized Method of Moments Estimator for a Spatial Panel Model with an Endogenous Spatial Lag and Spatial Moving Average Errors," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 27-44.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:tuddps:0310. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.