Optimal hedge ratio and elasticity of risk aversion
We apply the mean-standard deviation paradigm to examine a widely used model of the hedging literature. As the hedging model satisfies a scale and location condition the mean-standard deviation technique provides more intuition for the revision of the firm's optimum risk taking when price volatility changes. By introducing risk aversion elasticity we describe the interaction of price risk and optimum hedge. We show that with unit risk aversion elasticity optimum hedge ratio is invariant to changes in price volatilities.
Volume (Year): 6 (2004)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wong, Kit Pong, 1996. "Background Risk and the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Uncertainty," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(3), pages 241-51, July.
- Meyer, Jack, 1987. "Two-moment Decision Models and Expected Utility Maximization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 421-30, June.
- Briys, Eric & Crouhy, Michel & Schlesinger, Harris, 1993. "Optimal hedging in a futures market with background noise and basis risk," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 949-960, June.
- Lajeri, Fatma & Nielsen, Lars Tyge, 1997.
"Parametric Characterizations of Risk Aversion and Prudence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1650, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lars Tyge Nielsen & Fatma Lajeri, 2000. "Parametric characterizations of risk aversion and prudence," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 15(2), pages 469-476.
- Broll, Udo & Wahl, Jack E. & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1995. "Indirect hedging of exchange rate risk," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 667-678, October.
- Fanny Demers & Michel Demers, 1991. "Increases in Risk and the Optimal Deductible," Carleton Economic Papers 91-03, Carleton University, Department of Economics, revised Dec 1991.
- Wagener, Andreas, 2002. "Prudence and risk vulnerability in two-moment decision models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 229-235, January.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1990.
"Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 53-73, January.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1989. "Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large," NBER Working Papers 2848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ormiston, Michael B & Schlee, Edward E, 2001. "Mean-Variance Preferences and Investor Behaviour," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(474), pages 849-61, October.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1993.
"Standard Risk Aversion,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(3), pages 589-611, May.
- Bar-Shira, Ziv & Finkelshtain, Israel, 1999. "Two-moments decision models and utility-representable preferences," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 237-244, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-03f30006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.