Utility Functions of Equivalent Form and the Effect of Parameter Changes on Optimum Decision Making
We derive a class of utility functions that are equivalent with respect to a well-defined functional form. We study the case of constant relative risk aversion (of some order) to investigate on different equivalence relations in order to determine the, possibly infinite, number of equivalence classes when utility functions satisfy a specific form. Then we apply our results to standard applications in economics and finance, for example, to the effect of price volatility on optimum hedging.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++49 351 463 2196
Fax: ++49 351 463 7739
Web page: http://www.tu-dresden.de/wiwi/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Broll, Udo & Wahl, Jack E. & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1995. "Indirect hedging of exchange rate risk," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 667-678, October.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1968.
"The Effects of Income, Wealth, and Capital Gains Taxation on Risk Taking,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
248, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1991.
"Standard Risk Aversion,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0099, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Broll, Udo & Wahl, Jack E. & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1999. "Hedging exchange rate risk: The multiperiod case," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 365-380, December.
- Pratt, John W & Zeckhauser, Richard J, 1987. "Proper Risk Aversion," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 143-54, January.
- Eckwert, Bernhard, 1993. "Allocative effects of financial assets and the long run neutrality of money when markets are incomplete," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 75-95, January.
- Chew, Hong Soo & Herk, Leonard F., 1996. "Incremental Risk Aversion and Diversification Preference," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 180-200, July.
- Robert Chambers & Rolf Färe & John Quiggin, 2004. "Jointly radial and translation homothetic preferences: generalized constant risk aversion," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 689-699, March.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1971. "Increasing risk II: Its economic consequences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 66-84, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:tuddps:0206. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.