Stochastic dominance and absolute risk aversion
In this paper we proose the infimum of the Arrow-Pratt index of absolute risk aversion as a measure of global risk aversion of a utility function. We then show that, for any given arbitrary pair of distributions, there exists a threshold level of global risk aversion such that all increasing concave utility functions with at least as much global risk aversion would rank the two distributions in the same way. Furthermore, this threshold level is sharp in the sense that, for any lower level of global risk aversion, we can find two utility functions in this class yielding opposite preference relations for the two distributions.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caballe, Jordi & Pomansky, Alexey, 1996.
"Mixed Risk Aversion,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 485-513, November.
- Alain Chateauneuf & Michèle Cohen & Isaac Meilijson, 2005.
"More pessimism than greediness: a characterization of monotone risk aversion in the Rank-Dependent Expected Utility model,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Alain Chateauneuf & Michéle Cohen & Isaac Meilijson, 2005. "More pessimism than greediness: a characterization of monotone risk aversion in the rank-dependent expected utility model," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 25(3), pages 649-667, 04.
- Chateauneuf, A. & Cohen, M. & Meilijson, I., 1997. "More Pessimism than Greediness: A Characterization of Monotone Risk Aversion in the Rank-Dependant Expected Utility Model," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 97.53, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Pratt, John W & Zeckhauser, Richard J, 1987. "Proper Risk Aversion," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 143-54, January.
- Hadar, Josef & Russell, William R, 1969. "Rules for Ordering Uncertain Prospects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 25-34, March.
- Gollier, C. & Kimball, M.S., 1996. "New Methods in the Classical Economics of Uncertainty: Comparing Risks," Papers 96.412, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1993.
"Standard Risk Aversion,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(3), pages 589-611, May.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
- Gollier, Christian & Pratt, John W, 1996. "Risk Vulnerability and the Tempering Effect of Background Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1109-23, September.
- Lambert, Peter J. & Hey, John D., 1979. "Attitudes to risk," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 215-218.
- Meyer, Jack, 1975. "Increasing risk," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 119-132, August.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Diamond, Peter A. & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1974. "Increases in risk and in risk aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 337-360, July.
- Meyer, Jack, 1977. "Second Degree Stochastic Dominance with Respect to a Function," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 477-87, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upf:upfgen:643. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.