Repetitive risk aversion
This paper introduces and investigates the concept of repetitive risk aversion. The risk aversion of an increasing and concave utility function is repetitive if the fear of ruin, which measures agent's aversion to risking his entire income, is also increasing and concave. This is shown to be equivalent to the behaviorally meaningful condition that the risk premium is increasing at a non-increasing rate with the size of the bet. We find an additional justification for mixed risk aversion, which is known to be stronger than standard (and thus proper) risk aversion, in terms of this concept. We discuss several economic applications of repetitive risk aversion.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 29 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/199/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alesina, Alberto F & Tabellini, Guido, 1988.
"Voting on the Budget Deficit,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
269, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Guido Tabellini & Alberto Alesina, 1988. "Voting on the Budget Deficit," UCLA Economics Working Papers 539, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Tabellini, Guido & Alesina, Alberto, 1990. "Voting on the Budget Deficit," Scholarly Articles 4553030, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Guido Tabellini, 1988. "Voting on the Budget Deficit," NBER Working Papers 2759, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1993.
"Standard Risk Aversion,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(3), pages 589-611, May.
- CHANDER, Parkash, 2000. "A simple measure of risk aversion in the large and an application," CORE Discussion Papers 2000041, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dreze, Jacques H. & Modigliani, Franco, 1972.
"Consumption decisions under uncertainty,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 308-335, December.
- Sinclair-Desgagne, Bernard & Gabel, H. Landis, 1997.
"Environmental Auditing in Management Systems and Public Policy,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 331-346, July.
- H. Landis Gabel & Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné, 1996. "Environmental Auditing in Management Systems and Public Policy," CIRANO Working Papers 96s-21, CIRANO.
- Caballé, Jordi & Pomansky, Alexey, 1995.
"Mixed Risk Aversion,"
Working Paper Series
444, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1989.
"Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large,"
NBER Working Papers
2848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1990. "Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 53-73, January.
- Gollier, Christian & Pratt, John W, 1996. "Risk Vulnerability and the Tempering Effect of Background Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1109-23, September.
- Parkash Chander & Louis L. Wilde, 1998. "A General Characterization of Optimal Income Tax Enforcement," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(1), pages 165-183.
- Aumann, Robert J & Kurz, Mordecai, 1977. "Power and Taxes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(5), pages 1137-61, July.
- Gerard Debreu & Tjalling C. Koopmans, 1980. "Additively Decomposed Quasiconvex Functions," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 574, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Pratt, John W & Zeckhauser, Richard J, 1987. "Proper Risk Aversion," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 143-54, January.
- Burgos, Albert & Grant, Simon & Kajii, Atsushi, 2002. "Bargaining and Boldness," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 28-51, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joecth:v:29:y:2006:i:3:p:701-711. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.