Does Intermunicipal Cooperation Increase Efficiency? Evidence from the Hessian Wastewater Sector
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- repec:hrv:faseco:33077889 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bernard Dafflon, 2012.
"Voluntary amalgamation of local governments: the Swiss debate in the European context,"
International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU
paper1204, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Dafflon, Bernard, 2012. "Voluntary amalgamation of local governments: the Swiss debate in the European context," FSES Working Papers 426, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences, University of Freiburg/Fribourg Switzerland.
- Byrnes, Joel & Crase, Lin & Dollery, Brian & Villano, Renato, 2010. "The relative economic efficiency of urban water utilities in regional New South Wales and Victoria," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 439-455, August.
- Skip Krueger & Ethan M. Bernick, 2010. "State Rules and Local Governance Choices," Publius: The Journal of Federalism, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(4), pages 697-718, Fall.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Nelson, Michael A, 1997. "Municipal Government Approaches to Service Delivery: An Analysis from a Transactions Cost Perspective," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 35(1), pages 82-96, January.
- Mildred E. Warner, 2011. "Competition Or Cooperation In Urban Service Delivery?," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 82(4), pages 421-435, December.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
"State versus Private Ownership,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 133-150, Fall.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "State Versus Private Ownership," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1841, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "State Versus Private Ownership," NBER Working Papers 6665, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy Moss, 2008. "‘Cold spots’ of Urban Infrastructure: ‘Shrinking’ Processes in Eastern Germany and the Modern Infrastructural Ideal," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(2), pages 436-451, June.
- Posner, Richard A., 2010. "From the new institutional economics to organization economics: with applications to corporate governance, government agencies, and legal institutions," Journal of Institutional Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 1-37, March.
- Bennedsen, Morten, 2000. "Political ownership," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 559-581, June.
- Button, Kenneth J & Weyman-Jones, Thomas G, 1994. "X-Efficiency and Technical Efficiency," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 80(1-2), pages 83-104, July.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- David Bartolini & Fabio Fiorillo, 2011. "Cooperation among Local Councils for the Provision of Public Goods," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 85-108.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1996.
"Electoral Competition and Special Interest Politics,"
Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 63(2), pages 265-286.
- Gene Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1994. "Electoral Competition and Special Interest Politics," NBER Working Papers 4877, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffry M. Netter & William L. Megginson, 2001. "From State to Market: A Survey of Empirical Studies on Privatization," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 321-389, June.
- Steven Brent Lackey & David Freshwater & Anil Rupasingha, 2002. "Factors Influencing Local Government Cooperation in Rural Areas: Evidence from the Tennessee Valley," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 16(2), pages 138-154, May.
- Terry M. Moe, 2006. "Political Control and the Power of the Agent," Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(1), pages 1-29, April.
- Oliver D. Hart, 1983. "The Market Mechanism as an Incentive Scheme," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 366-382, Autumn.
- Fabio CHADDAD, 2012. "Advancing The Theory Of The Cooperative Organization: The Cooperative As A True Hybrid," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 83(4), pages 445-461, December.
- Breton, Albert & Wintrobe, Ronald, 1975. "The Equilibrium Size of a Budget-maximizing Bureau: A Note on Niskanen's Theory of Bureaucracy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(1), pages 195-207, February.
- Cruz, Nuno Ferreira da & Carvalho, Pedro & Marques, Rui Cunha, 2013. "Disentangling the cost efficiency of jointly provided water and wastewater services," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 70-77.
- Wyckoff, Paul Gary, 1990. "The Simple Analytics of Slack-Maximizing Bureaucracy," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 67(1), pages 35-47, October.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- William M. Dugger, 1996. "The Mechanisms of Governance," Journal of Economic Issues, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(4), pages 1212-1216, December.
- Richardson, G B, 1972. "The Organisation of Industry," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(327), pages 883-896, September.
- Reto Steiner, 2003. "The causes, spread and effects of intermunicipal cooperation and municipal mergers in Switzerland," Public Management Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(4), pages 551-571, December.
- Bischoff, Ivo & Bönisch, Peter & Haug, Peter & Illy, Annette, 2014. "Vertical Grants and Local Public Efficiency," IWH Discussion Papers 1/2013, Halle Institute for Economic Research (IWH).
- Bendor, Jonathan & Taylor, Serge & Gaalen, Roland Van, 1985. "Bureaucratic Expertise versus Legislative Authority: A Model of Deception and Monitoring in Budgeting," American Political Science Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 79(4), pages 1041-1060, December.
- Ferris, James M & Graddy, Elizabeth, 1991. "Production Costs, Transaction Costs, and Local Government Contractor Choice," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 29(3), pages 541-554, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Blesse Sebastian & Rösel Felix, 2017.
"Was bringen kommunale Gebietsreformen?: Kausale Evidenz zu Hoffnungen, Risiken und alternativen Instrumenten,"
Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, De Gruyter, vol. 18(4), pages 307-324, November.
- Blesse, Sebastian & Rösel, Felix, 2017. "Was bringen kommunale Gebietsreformen? Kausale Evidenz zu Hoffnungen, Risiken und alternativen Instrumenten," ZEW Discussion Papers 17-049, ZEW - Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research.
- Christian Bergholz & Ivo Bischoff, 2016. "Local council members’ view on inter-municipal cooperation: Does office-related self interest matter?," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201647, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
More about this item
Keywordsmunicipal cooperation; local public finance; efficiency; DEA; sewage disposal; interkommunale Kooperation; Kommunalfinanzen; Effizienz; DEA; Abwasserentsorgung;
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- D73 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Bureaucracy; Administrative Processes in Public Organizations; Corruption
- H72 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Budget and Expenditures
- R5 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:iwhdps:iwh-11-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - Leibniz Information Centre for Economics). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/iwhhhde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.