Housing Prices, Bank Lending, and Monetary Policy
In order to gain more insight into the relationship between housing prices and mortgage lending, we estimate models for both the Dutch housing and the mortgage market. The empirical analysis presented in this paper offers support for the hypothesis that in the Netherlands housing prices and mortgage lending are interdependent. According to our model, housing prices were influenced by changes in bank lending criteria during the estimation period, even when we control for variables such as disposable household income, mortgage interest rate, demographic developments and the housing stock. Mortgage lending was found to be dependent on housing prices as well as disposable income. Our analysis further suggests that in the short run housing prices can deviate substantially from their long-run equilibrium value.
|Date of creation:||22 Sep 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - PDF; prepared on PC; to print on HP; pages: 23; figures: included. Paper presented at the "Financial Structure, Bank Behaviour and Monetary Policy in the EMU" Conference, October 5-6, 2000, Groningen.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nigel Pain & Peter Westaway, 1996.
"Modelling Structural Change In The UK Housing Market: A Comparison Of Alternative House Price Models,"
NIESR Discussion Papers
98, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Pain, Nigel & Westaway, Peter, 1997. "Modelling structural change in the UK housing market: A comparison of alternative house price models," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 587-610, October.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995.
"Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission,"
NBER Working Papers
5146, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 27-48, Fall.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," Working Papers 95-15, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Hakfoort, Jacco & Matysiak, George, 1997. "Housing investment in the Netherlands," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 501-516, October.
- F J Breedon & M A S Joyce, 1993. "House prices, arrears and possessions: A three equation model for the UK," Bank of England working papers 14, Bank of England.
- Muellbauer, John & Murphy, Anthony, 1997.
"Booms and Busts in the UK Housing Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1615, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert J. Shiller & Karl E. Case, 1988.
"The Behavior of Home Buyers in Boom and Post-Boom Markets,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
890, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1988. "The behavior of home buyers in boom and post-boom markets," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Nov, pages 29-46.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1988. "The Behavior of Home Buyers in Boom and Post-Boom Markets," NBER Working Papers 2748, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brown, Jane P. & Song, Haiyan & McGillivray, Alan, 1997. "Forecasting UK house prices: A time varying coefficient approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 529-548, October.
- Meen, Geoffrey P, 1990. "The Removal of Mortgage Market Constraints and the Implications for Econometric Modelling of UK House Prices," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Richard J. Herring & Susan Wachter, 1999. "Real Estate Booms and Banking Busts: An International Perspective," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 99-27, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- James M. Poterba, 1984. "Tax Subsidies to Owner-Occupied Housing: An Asset-Market Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 99(4), pages 729-752.
- Burkhard Drees & Ceyla Pazarbasioglu, 1995. "The Nordic Banking Crises; Pitfalls in Financial Liberalization?," IMF Working Papers 95/61, International Monetary Fund.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Barot, Bharat & Takala, Kari, 1998. "House prices and inflation : a cointegration analysis for Finland and Sweden," Research Discussion Papers 12/1998, Bank of Finland.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:139:y::i:1:p:64-78 is not listed on IDEAS
- Levin, Eric J. & Wright, Robert E., 1997. "The impact of speculation on house prices in the United Kingdom," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 567-585, October.
- Guttentag, Jack & Herring, Richard, 1984. " Credit Rationing and Financial Disorder," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1359-82, December.
- DiPasquale Denise & Wheaton William C., 1994. "Housing Market Dynamics and the Future of Housing Prices," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 1-27, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpma:0209010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.