New Social Risks Affecting Children. A Survey of Risk Determinants and Child Outcomes in the EU
Socio-economic transformations associated with the shift to post-industrial societies have not only created new opportunities and prosperity, but have also given rise to the emergence of new social risks occurring at different stages of life. This paper examines the situation of children, who can arguably be considered a particularly vulnerable social group. It provides an overview of the changes generating child-related risk structures and, given this background, compares child well-being outcomes across a number of dimensions in the countries of the EU 15. The analysis reveals considerable heterogeneity both across and within welfare state regimes, suggesting overall a sort of "North-South-divide" with Nordic Europe coming out on top and Southern Europe on the bottom. In Austria, children seem to be better-protected from poverty risk than the average child in the EU 15. However, the level of material well-being is lower compared to the Nordic countries and does not translate into equally good performance in all the selected non-material domains.
|Date of creation:||08 Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+43 1) 798 26 01-0
Fax: (+43 1) 798 93 86
Web page: http://www.wifo.ac.at/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Doiron, Denise & Gørgens, Tue, 2008. "State dependence in youth labor market experiences, and the evaluation of policy interventions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 145(1-2), pages 81-97, July.
- Kenneth Harttgen & Stephan Klasen, 2009. "Well-being of Migrant Children and Migrant Youth in Europe," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 181, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Richard Dorsett & Getinet Haile, 2010. "State dependence and unobserved heterogeneity in the employment transitions of the over-50s," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 523-554, June.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006.
"Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
486, OECD Publishing.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006. "Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 35, OECD Publishing.
- Peter Whiteford & Willem Adema, 2007. "What Works Best in Reducing Child Poverty: A Benefit or Work Strategy?," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 51, OECD Publishing.
- A. Lans Bovenberg, 2008. "The Life-course Perspective and Social Policies: An Overview of the Issues," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 54(4), pages 593-641, December.
- Simon Chapple, 2009. "Child Well-Being and Sole-Parent Family Structure in the OECD: An Analysis," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 82, OECD Publishing.
- Stephen P. Jenkins & Thomas Siedler, 2007. "The Intergeneratinal Transmission of Poverty in Industrialized Countries," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 693, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Gosta Esping-Andersen, 2008. "Childhood investments and skill formation," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 19-44, February.
- Tito Boeri & Pietro Garibaldi, 2009. "Beyond Eurosclerosis," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 24, pages 409-461, 07.
- Howell David R. & Baker Dean & Glyn Andrew & Schmitt John, 2007. "Are Protective Labor Market Institutions at the Root of Unemployment? A Critical Review of the Evidence," Capitalism and Society, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-73, May.
- John Bennett, 2008. "Early Childhood Services in the OECD Countries: Review of the literature and current policy in the early childhood field," Papers inwopa08/50, Innocenti Working Papers.
- Lilia Costabile, 2009. "Institutions for Social Well-Being: The Author’s Reply," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 3, August.
- Eichhorst, Werner & Dolls, Mathias & Marx, Paul & Peichl, Andreas & al., et, 2010. "Report No. 31: The Role of Social Protection as an Economic Stabiliser: Lessons from the Current Crisis," IZA Research Reports 31, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre, 2007. "Child Poverty in Perspective: An overview of child well-being in rich countries," Papers inreca07/13, Innocenti Report Card.
- *Unicef, 2007. "Child Poverty in Perspective: An overview of child well-being in rich countries," Papers inreca07/19, Innocenti Report Card.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wfo:wpaper:y:2011:i:386. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.