How Do Different Motives for R&D Investment in Foreign Locations Affect Domestic Firm Performance? An Analysis Based on Swiss Panel Micro Data
The aim of this paper is to investigate the differences between specific motives of R&D investment in foreign locations with respect to the factors influencing the likelihood of foreign R&D and to the impact of foreign presence on the parent firms' innovativeness and productivity. An econometric analysis of Swiss firm panel data shows, firstly, that factors related to firm-specific knowledge-oriented advantages are more important for explaining the likelihood of foreign R&D activities than factors reflecting disadvantages related to home location. Secondly, knowledge-oriented motives of foreign R&D are positively correlated to innovation performance of domestic firms, whereas market-oriented and resource-oriented strategies correlate positively with productivity.
|Date of creation:||13 Jul 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arsenal Object 20, A-1030 Wien|
Phone: (+43 1) 798 26 01-0
Fax: (+43 1) 798 93 86
Web page: http://www.wifo.ac.at/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cathy Hoareau & Pierre Mohnen, 2002.
"What Type Of Enterprise Forges Close Links With Universities And Government Labs? Evidence From CIS 2,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Masao Nakamura & Pierre Mohnen & Cathy Hoareau, 2003. "What type of enterprise forges close links with universities and government labs? Evidence from CIS 2," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(2-3), pages 133-145.
- Mohnen Pierre & Hoareau Cathy, 2002. "What type of enterprise forges close links with universities and government labs? Evidence from CIS2," Research Memorandum 009, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Spyros Arvanitis & Heinz Hollenstein, 2001. "Technologiestandort Schweiz im Zuge der Globalisierung: Eine explorative Analyse der F&E-Aktivitäten schweizerischer Industrieunternehmen im Ausland," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 137(II), pages 129-148, June.
- Wilfred J. Ethier, 1986. "The Multinational Firm," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(4), pages 805-833.
- Capron, Henri & Cincera, Michele, 2004.
"Industry/University S&T Transfers: What Can We Learn From Belgian CIS-2 Data?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4685, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Henri Capron & Michele Cincera, 2003. "Industry-university S&T transfers: what can we learn from Belgian CIS-2 data?," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 46(3), pages 59-86.
- Christian Rammer & Anja Schmiele, 2008. "Globalisation of Innovation in SMEs: Why They Go Abroad and What They Bring Back Home," Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik), Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 59(Supplemen), pages 173-212.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg & Rebecca Henderson, 1993.
"Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 577-598.
- Jaffe, A.B. & Trajtenberg, M., 1992. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," Papers 14-92, Tel Aviv.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg & Rebecca Henderson, 1992. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," NBER Working Papers 3993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Dominique Foray (ed.), 2009. "The New Economics of Technology Policy," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 13445.
- Gupta, Anil K. & Govindarajan, V., 1994. "Organizing for knowledge flows within MNCs," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 443-457, December.
- John Cantwell & Lucia Piscitello, 2005. "Recent Location of Foreign-owned Research and Development Activities by Large Multinational Corporations in the European Regions: The Role of Spillovers and Externalities," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 1-16.
- John Cantwell & Rajneesh Narula, 2001. "The Eclectic Paradigm in the Global Economy," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 155-172.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984.
"A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 451-71, June.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations," Scholarly Articles 3445092, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rialp, Alex & Rialp, Josep & Knight, Gary A., 2005. "The phenomenon of early internationalizing firms: what do we know after a decade (1993-2003) of scientific inquiry?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 147-166, April.
- Cantwell, John, 1995. "The Globalisation of Technology: What Remains of the Product Cycle Model?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 155-74, February.
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 1977. "The Internationalization Process of the Firm—A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 23-32, March.
- Heinz Hollenstein & Benjamin Jung, 2008.
"Characteristics of Foreign R&D Strategies of Swiss Firms: Implications for Policy,"
FIW Working Paper series
- Heinz Hollenstein, 2009. "Characteristics of Foreign R&D Strategies of Swiss Firms: Implications for Policy," Chapters, in: The New Economics of Technology Policy, chapter 19 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Heinz Hollenstein, 2008. "Characteristics of Foreign R&D Strategies of Swiss Firms. Implications for Policy," WIFO Working Papers 315, WIFO.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Levinthal, Daniel A, 1989. "Innovation and Learning: The Two Faces of R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 569-96, September.
- Patel, Pari & Vega, Modesto, 1999. "Patterns of internationalisation of corporate technology: location vs. home country advantages1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 145-155, March.
- Schmidt, Tobias, 2007. "Motives for Innovation Co-operation? Evidence from the Canadian Survey of Innovation," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-018, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Robert C Ronstadt, 1978. "International R & D: The Establishment and Evolution of Research and Development Abroad by Seven U.S. Multinationals," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(1), pages 7-24, March.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Heinz Hollenstein, 2006. "Determinants of Swiss Firms’ R&D Activities at Foreign Locations: An Empirical Analysis Based on Firm-level Data," KOF Working papers 06-127, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Walter Kuemmerle, 1999. "The Drivers of Foreign Direct Investment into Research and Development: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Ambos, Tina C. & Ambos, Björn & Schlegelmilch, Bodo B., 2006. "Learning from foreign subsidiaries: An empirical investigation of headquarters' benefits from reverse knowledge transfers," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 294-312, June.
- Spyros Arvanitis, 2006. "Innovation and Labour Productivity in the Swiss Manufacturing Sector: An Analysis Based on Firm Panel Data," KOF Working papers 06-149, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Rivers, Douglas & Vuong, Quang H., 1988. "Limited information estimators and exogeneity tests for simultaneous probit models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 347-366, November.
- TODO Yasuyuki & SHIMIZUTANI Satoshi, 2007. "Overseas R&D Activities and Home Productivity Growth: Evidence from Japanese Firm-Level Data," Discussion papers 07008, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wfo:wpaper:y:2010:i:375. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.