Foreign job opportunities and internal migration in Vietnam
This paper investigates the role of employment opportunities created by foreign-owned firms as a determinant of internal migration and destination choice using the Vietnam Migration Survey 2004 and the Vietnam Household Living Standards Survey 2004. Multinomial logit and conditional logit models are estimated to study both origin and destination-specific characteristics of migrants. The paper finds that the migration response to foreign job opportunities is larger for female workers than male workers; there appears to be intermediate selection in terms of educational attainment; and migrating individuals on average tend to go to destinations with higher foreign employment opportunities, even controlling for income differentials, land differentials, and distances between sending and receiving areas.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hung T. Pham, 2009. "Ethnic wage inequality in Vietnam," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 30(3), pages 192-219, June.
- Michael Epprecht & Daniel Müller & Nicholas Minot, 2011. "How remote are Vietnam’s ethnic minorities? An analysis of spatial patterns of poverty and inequality," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 46(2), pages 349-368, April.
- Zai Liang & Yiu Por Chen & Yanmin Gu, 2002. "Rural Industrialisation and Internal Migration in China," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 39(12), pages 2175-2187, November.
- Yoko Niimi & Thai Hung Pham & Barry Reilly, 2009.
"Determinants of Remittances: Recent Evidence Using Data on Internal Migrants in Vietnam,"
Asian Economic Journal,
East Asian Economic Association, vol. 23(1), pages 19-39, 03.
- Niimi, Yoko & Pham, Thai Hung & Reilly, Barry, 2008. "Determinants of remittances : recent evidence using data on internal migrants in Vietnam," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4586, The World Bank.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 2004. "Home- and Host-Country Effects of Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Chapters, in: Challenges to Globalization: Analyzing the Economics, pages 333-382 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Emiko Fukase & Will Martin, 2000. "The effects of the United States granting MFN status to Vietnam," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 136(3), pages 539-559, 09.
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-142, March.
- Paul S. Davies & Michael J. Greenwood & Haizheng Li, 2001. "A Conditional Logit Approach to U.S. State-to-State Migration," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 337-360.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Forhad Shilpi, 2010.
"Determinants of the Choice of Migration Destination,"
- Marcel Fafchamps & Forhad Shilpi, 2013. "Determinants of the Choice of Migration Destination," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 75(3), pages 388-409, 06.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Forhad Shilpi, 2009. "Determinants of the Choice of Migration Destination," CSAE Working Paper Series 2009-09, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Shilpi, Forhad, 2009. "Determinants of the Choice of Migration Destination," CEPR Discussion Papers 7407, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dang Thanh Ha & Gerald Shively, 2008. "Coffee Boom, Coffee Bust and Smallholder Response in Vietnam's Central Highlands," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(2), pages 312-326, 05.
- Hausman, Jerry & McFadden, Daniel, 1984.
"Specification Tests for the Multinomial Logit Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(5), pages 1219-1240, September.
- D. McFadden & J. Hausman, 1981. "Specification Tests for the Multinominal Logit Model," Working papers 292, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-161, January.
- Brian McCaig, 2009.
"Exporting Out of Poverty: Provincial Poverty in Vietnam and U.S. Market Access,"
ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics
2009-502, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Brian, McCaig, 2011. "Exporting out of poverty: Provincial poverty in Vietnam and U.S. market access," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 102-113, September.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/4457 is not listed on IDEAS
- Peter Glick & François Roubaud, 2006. "Export Processing Zone Expansion in Madagascar: What are the Labour Market and Gender Impacts?," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 15(4), pages 722-756, December.
- Phan, Diep & Coxhead, Ian, 2008.
"Interprovincial Migration and Inequality During Vietnam's Transition,"
Staff Paper Series
507, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Phan, Diep & Coxhead, Ian, 2010. "Inter-provincial migration and inequality during Vietnam's transition," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 100-112, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:6420. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.