Incentive audits : a new approach to financial regulation
A large body of evidence points to misaligned incentives as having a key role in the run-up to the global financial crisis. These include bank managers'incentives to boost short-term profits and create banks that are"too big to fail,"regulators'incentives to forebear and withhold information from other regulators in stressful times, and credit rating agencies'incentives to keep issuing high ratings for subprime assets. As part of the response to the crisis, policymakers and regulators also attempted to address some incentive issues, but various outside observers have criticized the response for being insufficient. This paper proposes a pragmatic approach to re-orienting financial regulation to have at its core the objective of addressing incentives on an ongoing basis. Specifically, the paper proposes"incentive audits"as a tool that could help in identifying incentive misalignments in the financial sector. The paper illustrates how such audits could be implemented in practice, and what the implications would be for the design of policies and frameworks to mitigate systemic risks.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Melecky, Martin & Podpiera, Anca Maria, 2012. "Institutional structures of financial sector supervision, their drivers and emerging benchmark models," MPRA Paper 37059, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Richard J. Herring & Anthony M. Santomero, 2000. "What Is Optimal Financial Regulation?," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 00-34, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Klaus Schaeck & Martin Cihak & Andrea Maechler & Stephanie Stolz, 2011.
"Who Disciplines Bank Managers?,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 16(1), pages 197-243.
- Andrea M. Maechler & Klaus Schaeck & Martin Cihak & StÃ©phanie Marie Stolz, 2009. "Who Disciplines Bank Managers?," IMF Working Papers 09/272, International Monetary Fund.
- Udaibir S Das & Marc G Quintyn & Kina Chenard, 2004. "Does Regulatory Governance Matter for Financial System Stability? An Empirical Analysis," IMF Working Papers 04/89, International Monetary Fund.
- Luc Laeven & Fabian Valencia, 2010. "Resolution of Banking Crises; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly," IMF Working Papers 10/146, International Monetary Fund.
- Barth,James R. & Caprio,Gerard & Levine,Ross, 2008. "Rethinking Bank Regulation," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521709309, December.
- Barth,James R. & Caprio,Gerard & Levine,Ross, 2006. "Rethinking Bank Regulation," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521855761, December.
- Michael D. Bordo & Angela Redish & Hugh Rockoff, 2011. "Why didn't Canada have a banking crisis in 2008 (or in 1930, or 1907, or ...)?," NBER Working Papers 17312, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Asli Demirguc‐Kunt & Enrica Detragiache & Ouarda Merrouche, 2013. "Bank Capital: Lessons from the Financial Crisis," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 45(6), pages 1147-1164, 09.
- Ouarda Merrouche & Enrica Detragiache & Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt, 2010. "Bank Capital; Lessons From the Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 10/286, International Monetary Fund.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica & Merrouche, Ouarda, 2010. "Bank capital : lessons from the financial crisis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5473, The World Bank.
- Barth, James R. & Caprio, Gerard Jr. & Levine, Ross, 2012. "Guardians of Finance: Making Regulators Work for Us," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262017393.
- Andrew Ellul & Vijay Yerramilli, 2010. "Stronger Risk Controls, Lower Risk: Evidence from U.S. Bank Holding Companies," NBER Working Papers 16178, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier, 2009. "Deciphering the Liquidity and Credit Crunch 2007-2008," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(1), pages 77-100, Winter.
- Edward Kane, 2007. "Basel II: A Contracting Perspective," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 32(1), pages 39-53, October.
- Edward J. Kane, 2006. "Basel II: A Contracting Perspective," NBER Working Papers 12705, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward J. Kane, 2007. "Basel II: a contracting perspective," Proceedings 1042, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Charles W. Calomiris, 2011. "An Incentive‐Robust Programme For Financial Reform," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 79(s2), pages 39-72, 09.
- Ross Levine, 2010. "An Autopsy of the U.S. Financial System," NBER Working Papers 15956, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Ellul & Vijay Yerramilli, 2010. "Stronger Risk Controls, Lower Risk: Evidence from U.S. Bank Holding Companies," FMG Discussion Papers dp646, Financial Markets Group.
- Jingqing Chai & R. B. Johnston, 2000. "An Incentive Approach to Identifying Financial System Vulnerabilities," IMF Working Papers 00/211, International Monetary Fund.
- Goodhart, Charles & Schoenmaker, Dirk, 1995. "Should the Functions of Monetary Policy and Banking Supervision Be Separated?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(4), pages 539-560, October.
- Cihák, Martin & Podpiera, Richard, 2008. "Integrated financial supervision: Which model?," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 135-152, August.
- World Bank, 2012. "Global Financial Development Report 2013 : Rethinking the Role of the State in Finance," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 11848, June.
- Ouarda Merrouche & Erlend Nier, 2010. "What Caused the Global Financial Crisis; Evidenceon the Drivers of Financial Imbalances 1999: 2007," IMF Working Papers 10/265, International Monetary Fund.
- Inci Ã–tker & Aditya Narain & Anna Ilyina & Jay Surti, 2011. "The Too-Important-to-Fail Conundrum; Impossible to Ignore and Difficult to Resolve," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 11/12, International Monetary Fund.
- Marc G Quintyn & Rosaria Vega Pansini & Donato Masciandaro, 2011. "The Economic Crisis; Did Financial Supervision Matter?," IMF Working Papers 11/261, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2011. "Macroprudential Policy; What Instruments and How to Use them? Lessons From Country Experiences," IMF Working Papers 11/238, International Monetary Fund.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Pau Rabanal & Christopher W. Crowe & Deniz O Igan, 2011. "Policies for Macrofinancial Stability; Options to Deal with Real Estate Booms," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 11/02, International Monetary Fund.
- Martin Cihak & Alexander F. Tieman, 2008. "Quality of Financial Sector Regulation and Supervision Around the World," IMF Working Papers 08/190, International Monetary Fund.
- SÃ²nia MuÃ±oz & Samir Jahjah & Martin Cihak & Sharika Teh Sharifuddin & Kalin I Tintchev, 2012. "Financial Stability Reports; What Are they Good for?," IMF Working Papers 12/1, International Monetary Fund. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)