Challenges for financial sector supervision
The financial crisis demonstrated severe shortcomings in existing global, European and national regulatory and supervisory frameworks for the financial system. Although most attention was paid to regulatory flaws, the failure to prevent a near collapse of the financial system also triggered a global rethinking of what constitutes good financial supervision. Several pre-crisis key principles underlying supervision - such as a high trust in market participants' ability to manage risks combined with a widespread belief that safeguarding the health of individual firms would guarantee system stability - and a general tendency towards light touch supervision, were strongly criticised (cf. FSA 2009; De Larosière 2009; Commissie de Wit 2010).
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postbus 98, 1000 AB Amsterdam|
Web page: http://www.dnb.nl/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franka Liedorp & Robert Mosch & Carin van der Cruijsen & Jakob de Haan, 2013.
"Transparency of Banking Supervisors,"
IMF Economic Review,
Palgrave Macmillan;International Monetary Fund, vol. 61(2), pages 310-335, June.
- George J. Stigler, 1971. "The Theory of Economic Regulation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 2(1), pages 3-21, Spring.
- Marc Quintyn & Michael W. Taylor, 2003. "Regulatory and Supervisory Independence and Financial Stability," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 49(2), pages 259-294.
- Boot, Arnoud W A & Thakor, Anjan, 1997.
"Can Relationship Banking Survive Competition?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1592, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stiroh, Kevin J, 2004.
"Diversification in Banking: Is Noninterest Income the Answer?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(5), pages 853-882, October.
- Kevin J. Stiroh, 2002. "Diversification in banking: is noninterest income the answer?," Staff Reports 154, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Geraats, P.M., 2004.
"How Transparent Are Central Banks?,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0411, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Geraats, P., 2006. "How transparent are central banks?," Other publications TiSEM b34dfb1f-520f-4787-a08f-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Eijffinger, Sylvester C W & Geraats, Petra M, 2002. "How Transparent are Central Banks?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3188, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- van der Cruijsen, Carin & de Haan, Jakob & Jansen, David-Jan & Mosch, Robert, 2013.
"Knowledge and opinions about banking supervision: Evidence from a survey of Dutch households,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 219-229.
- Carin van der Cruijsen & Jakob de Haan & David-Jan Jansen & Robert Mosch, 2010. "Knowledge and Opinions about Banking Supervision: Evidence from a Survey of Dutch Households," DNB Working Papers 275, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Masciandaro, Donato & Quintyn, Marc & Taylor, Michael W., 2008. "Inside and outside the central bank: Independence and accountability in financial supervision: Trends and determinants," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 833-848, December.
- Arnold, Ivo J.M. & van Ewijk, Saskia E., 2011. "Can pure play internet banking survive the credit crisis?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 783-793, April.
- Arnoud W.A. Boot & Lev Ratnovski, 2012.
"Banking and Trading,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
12-107/IV/DSF42, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jeroen Klomp & Jakob de Haan, 2010. "Inflation And Central Bank Independence: A Meta-Regression Analysis," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(4), pages 593-621, 09.
- Gabriele Galati & Richhild Moessner, 2013.
"Macroprudential Policy – A Literature Review,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(5), pages 846-878, December.
- Gabriele Galati & Richhild Moessner, 2011. "Macroprudential policy - a literature review," BIS Working Papers 337, Bank for International Settlements.
- Gabriele Galati & Richhild Moessner, 2010. "Macroprudential policy - a literature review," DNB Working Papers 267, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Klomp, Jeroen & Haan, Jakob de, 2012. "Banking risk and regulation: Does one size fit all?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 3197-3212.
- Marc G Quintyn & Rosaria Vega Pansini & Donato Masciandaro, 2011. "The Economic Crisis; Did Financial Supervision Matter?," IMF Working Papers 11/261, International Monetary Fund.
- Alessandro Gambini & Salim M. Darbar & Marco Arnone, 2007. "Banking Supervision; Quality and Governance," IMF Working Papers 07/82, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2003. "Cross-Country and Cross-Sector Analysis of Transparency of Monetary and Financial Policies," IMF Working Papers 03/94, International Monetary Fund.
- Paul Hilbers & Karina Raaijmakers & David Rijsbergen & Femke de Vries, 2013. "Measuring the effects of financial sector supervision," DNB Working Papers 388, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dnb:dnbocs:1106. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rob Vet)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.