Water Reallocation in the Input-Output Model
Water reallocation between economic agents has been â€“and continues to be- the subject of a considerable amount of research. This paper proposes a method for evaluating how water is reallocated within the economy in response to changes in final demand and changes in the technical water needs of activities and consumers. The empirical application, which is for the Catalan economy, shows important asymmetries in the effects that exogenous inflows and changes in water technical requirements cause on water reallocation. In the process of water distribution, exogenous inflows mostly benefit agriculture and damage private consumers. On the other hand, increases in technical water requirements have negative effects on agriculture and positive effects on the other production activities. The results of the study suggest that agriculture is an important activity not only in terms of water distribution but also in terms of water reallocation due to changes in final demand and technical water needs. Keywords: Water reallocation, water distribution, exogenous shock, technical water needs.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda. de la Universitat,1 - 43204 Reus (Tarragona)|
Phone: 977 75 98 00
Fax: 977 75 98 10
Web page: http://www.urv.cat
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cardenete, Manuel Alejandro & Hewings, Geoffrey, 2011. "Water Price and Water Sectoral Reallocation in Andalusia. A Computable General Equilibrium Approach1," 2011 Conference: Impacts of Climate Change on Agriculture, December 6-7, 2011, Rabat, Morocco 188124, Moroccan Association of Agricultural Economics (AMAEco).
- Erik Dietzenbacher & Esther Velazquez, 2007. "Analysing Andalusian Virtual Water Trade in an Input-Output Framework," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(2), pages 185-196.
- Suh, Sangwon, 2004. "Functions, commodities and environmental impacts in an ecological-economic model," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 451-467, April.
- Butnar, Isabela & Llop Llop, Maria, 2006.
"Composition of Greenhouse Gas Emissions in Spain: an Input-Output Analysis,"
2072/1750, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Butnar, Isabela & Llop, Maria, 2007. "Composition of greenhouse gas emissions in Spain: An input-output analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2-3), pages 388-395, March.
- Geoffrey Hewings & Chokri Dridi & Joaquim Guilhoto, 2005.
"Impacts of Reallocation of Resource Constraints on the Northeast Economy of Brazil,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa05p14, European Regional Science Association.
- Hewings, Geoffrey J.D. & Dridi, Chokri & Guilhoto, Joaquim J.M., 2005. "Impacts of reallocation of resource constraints on the northeast economy of Brazil," MPRA Paper 38210, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roland-Holst, David W & Sancho, Ferran, 1992.
"Relative Income Determination in the United States: A Social Accounting Perspective,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 38(3), pages 311-327, September.
- Roland-Holst, D.W. & Sancho, F., 1991. "Ralative Income Determination in the United States: A Social Accounting Perspective," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 188.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Seung, Chang K. & Harris, Thomas R. & MacDiarmid, Thomas R. & Shaw, W. Douglass, 1998. "Economic Impacts of Water Reallocation: A CGE Analysis for Walker River Basin of Nevada and California," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 28(2).
- Maria Llop, 2012. "The role of saving and investment in a SAM price model," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 48(1), pages 339-357, February.
- Goodman, D. Jay, 2000. "More Reservoirs Or Transfers? A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis Of Projected Water Shortages In The Arkansas River Basin," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(02), pages -, December.
- Noelwah R. Netusil & Thomas R. Harris & Chang K. Seung & Jeffrey E. Englin, 2000. "Impacts of water reallocation: A combined computable general equilibrium and recreation demand model approach," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 34(4), pages 473-487.
- Duarte, Rosa & Sanchez-Choliz, Julio & Bielsa, Jorge, 2002. "Water use in the Spanish economy: an input-output approach," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 71-85, November.
- Charles W. Howe & Jeffrey K. Lazo & Kenneth R. Weber, 1990. "The Economic Impacts of Agriculture-to-Urban Water Transfers on the Area of Origin: A Case Study of the Arkansas River Valley in Colorado," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1200-1204.
- Maria Llop & Antonio Manresa, 2003.
"Income Distribution in a Regional Economy: A SAM Model,"
Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces
E2003/03, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Llop, Maria & Manresa, Antonio, 2004. "Income distribution in a regional economy: a SAM model," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 689-702, September.
- M. Alejandro Cardenete & G.J.D. Hewings & E. Velázquez, 2005. "Precio del agua y relocalización del recurso en la economía andaluza. Una aproximación desde un modelo de equilibrio general aplicado," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2005/22, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:urv:wpaper:2072/151815. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ariadna Casals)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.