Agriculture, technological change and environmental sustainability: Looking for a win-win water policy strategy
This paper analyses the effects that technological changes in agriculture would have on environmental, social and economic indicators. Specifically, our study is focused on two alternative technological improvements: the modernization of water transportation systems versus the increase in the total factor productivity of agriculture. Using a computable general equilibrium model for the Catalan economy, our results suggest that a water policy that leads to greater economic efficiency is not necessarily optimal if we consider social or environmental criteria. Moreover, improving environmental sustainability depends less on the type of technological change than on the institutional framework in which technological change occurs. Keywords: agricultural technological changes, computable general equilibrium model, economic impact, water policy
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda. de la Universitat,1 - 43204 Reus (Tarragona)|
Phone: 977 75 98 00
Fax: 977 75 98 10
Web page: http://www.urv.cat
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dinar, Ariel & Letey, J., 1991. "Agricultural water marketing, allocative efficiency, and drainage reduction," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 210-223, May.
- Necmi Karagozoglu & Martin Lindell, 2000. "Environmental Management: Testing the Win-Win Model," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(6), pages 817-829.
- Maria Berrittella & Katrin Rehdanz & Arjen Y. Hoekstra & Roberto Roson & Richard S.J. Tol, 2006. "The Economic Impact Of Restricted Water Supply: A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis," Working Papers FNU-93, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Jul 2006.
- Janis M. Carey & David Zilberman, 2002. "A Model of Investment under Uncertainty: Modern Irrigation Technology and Emerging Markets in Water," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(1), pages 171-183.
- Nadia Belhaj Hassine & Véronique Robichaud & Bernard Decaluwé, 2010.
"Agricultural Trade Liberalization, Productivity Gain and Poverty Alleviation: a General Equilibrium Analysis,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Nadia Belhaj Hassine & Véronique Robichaud & Bernard Decaluwe, 2010. "Agricultural Trade, Liberalization, Productivity Gain, and Poverty Alleviation: a General Equilibrium Analysis," Working Papers MPIA 2010-09, PEP-MPIA.
- Nadia Belhaj Hassine & Veronique Robichaud & Bernard Decaluwé, 2010. "Agricultural Trade Liberalization, Productivity Gain And Poverty Alleviation: A General Equilibrium Analysis," Working Papers 519, Economic Research Forum, revised May 2010.
- Murat Isik, 2004. "Incentives for Technology Adoption Under Environmental Policy Uncertainty: Implications for Green Payment Programs," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 27(3), pages 247-263, March.
- Löfgren, Hans & Robinson, Sherman, 1997.
"The Mixed-Complementarity Approach to Specifying Agricultural Supply in Computable General Equilibrium Models,"
1997 Conference, August 10-16, 1997, Sacramento, California
197058, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lofgren, Hans & Robinson, Sherman, 1997. "The mixed-complementary approach to specifying agricultural supply in computable general equilibrium models:," TMD discussion papers 20, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Mohr, Robert D., 2002. "Technical Change, External Economies, and the Porter Hypothesis," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 158-168, January.
- C. Arndt & H. T. Jensen & S. Robinson & F. Tarp, 2000.
"Marketing Margins and Agricultural Technology in Mozambique,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 121-137.
- Arndt, Channing & Jensen, Henning Tarp & Robinson, Sherman & Tarp, Finn, 1999. "Marketing margins and agricultural technology in Mozambique:," TMD discussion papers 43, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Seung, Chang K. & Harris, Thomas R. & MacDiarmid, Thomas R. & Shaw, W. Douglass, 1998. "Economic Impacts of Water Reallocation: A CGE Analysis for Walker River Basin of Nevada and California," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 28(2).
- Phoebe Koundouri & Céline Nauges & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2006. "Technology Adoption under Production Uncertainty: Theory and Application to Irrigation Technology," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(3), pages 657-670.
- Hewings, Geoffrey J.D. & Dridi, Chokri & Guilhoto, Joaquim J.M., 2005.
"Impacts of reallocation of resource constraints on the northeast economy of Brazil,"
38210, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Geoffrey Hewings & Chokri Dridi & Joaquim Guilhoto, 2005. "Impacts of Reallocation of Resource Constraints on the Northeast Economy of Brazil," ERSA conference papers ersa05p14, European Regional Science Association.
- Martin Odening & Oliver Mu�hoff & Alfons Balmann, 2005. "Investment decisions in hog finishing: an application of the real options approach," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(1), pages 47-60, 01.
- Prasada, Pahan, 2007. "General Equilibrium Impacts of Technological Change under Different Market Structures: A Comparison of Supply Managed and Other Primary Agricultural Markets in Canada," Sri Lankan Journal of Agricultural Economics, Sri Lanka Agricultural Economics Association (SAEA), vol. 9.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:urv:wpaper:2072/203158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ariadna Casals)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.