The Effectiveness of Private Versus Public Schools in Indonesia: Comment
I reestimate Bedi and Garg estimation of differential earnings of public-private junior secondary school in Indonesia. I replicate Bedi and Garg method by using Bedi and Garg’s sample data and creating a new sample data base on the original updated IFLS1 data (Indonesia Family Life Survey 1 codename IFLS1-RR). I use the same methodology as Bedi and Garg with the latest Stata command to confirm Bedi and Garg’s major conclusion. Using selmlog and decompose Stata techniques, I find the evidence that contradictive with Bedi and Garg’s conclusion as the public schools graduated earn higher than other graduates from private schools.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Jalan Cimandiri No.6, Bandung 40115|
Web page: http://ceds.fe.unpad.ac.id
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newhouse, David & Beegle, Kathleen, 2005.
"The effect of school type on academic achievement : evidence from Indonesia,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3604, The World Bank.
- David Newhouse & Kathleen Beegle, 2006. "The Effect of School Type on Academic Achievement: Evidence from Indonesia," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 41(3).
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1983. "Generalized Econometric Models with Selectivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 507-12, March.
- Bedi, Arjun S. & Garg, Ashish, 2000. "The effectiveness of private versus public schools: the case of Indonesia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 463-494, April.
- Ben Jann, 2004. "DECOMPOSE: Stata module to compute decompositions of wage differentials," Statistical Software Components S4444103, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 12 May 2005.
- François Bourguignon & Martin Fournier & Marc Gurgand, 2004.
"Selection Bias Corrections Based on the Multinomial Logit Model: Monte-Carlo Comparisons,"
DELTA Working Papers
2004-20, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- François Bourguignon & Martin Fournier & Marc Gurgand, 2007. "Selection Bias Corrections Based On The Multinomial Logit Model: Monte Carlo Comparisons," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 174-205, 02.
- François Bourguignon & Marc Gurgand & Martin Fournier, 2007. "Selection bias corrections based on the multinomial logit model: Monte Carlo comparisons," Post-Print halshs-00201372, HAL.
- Reimers, Cordelia W, 1983. "Labor Market Discrimination against Hispanic and Black Men," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(4), pages 570-79, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unp:wpaper:200913. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Arief Anshory Yusuf)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.