Lag Length Selection for Unit Root Tests in the Presence of Nonstationary Volatility
A number of recently published papers have focused on the problem of testing for a unit root inthe case where the driving shocks may be unconditionally heteroskedastic. These papers have,however, assumed that the lag length in the unit root test regression is a deterministic functionof the sample size, rather than data-determined, the latter being standard empirical practice. Inthis paper we investigate the finite sample impact of unconditional heteroskedasticity onconventional data-dependent methods of lag selection in augmented Dickey-Fuller type unit roottest regressions and propose new lag selection criteria which allow for the presence ofheteroskedasticity in the shocks. We show that standard lag selection methods show a tendency toover-fit the lag order under heteroskedasticity, which results in significant power losses in the(wild bootstrap implementation of the) augmented Dickey-Fuller tests under the alternative. Thenew lag selection criteria we propose are shown to avoid this problem yet deliver unit root testswith almost identical finite sample size and power properties as the corresponding tests based onconventional lag selection methods when the shocks are homoskedastic.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +31 (0)43 38 83 830
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D van Dijk & D R Osborn & M Sensier, 2002.
"Changes in variability of the business cycle in the G7 countries,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0204, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- D van Dijk & D R Osborn & M Sensier, 2002. "Changes in Variability of the Business Cycle in the G7 Countries," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 16, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- van Dijk, D.J.C. & Osborn, D.R. & Sensier, M., 2002. "Changes in variability of the business cycle in the G7 countries," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2002-28, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Pierre Perron & Zhongjun Qu, 2006.
"A Simple Modification to Improve the Finite Sample Properties of Ng and Perron’s Unit Root Tests,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
WP2006-010, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Perron, Pierre & Qu, Zhongjun, 2007. "A simple modification to improve the finite sample properties of Ng and Perron's unit root tests," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 12-19, January.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard, Patrick, 2009.
"Modified fast double sieve bootstraps for ADF tests,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 53(12), pages 4490-4499, October.
- Patrick Richard, 2008. "Modified Fast Double Sieve Bootstraps for ADF Tests," Cahiers de recherche 08-17, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Smeekes, Stephan & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2012.
"Bootstrap Union Tests For Unit Roots In The Presence Of Nonstationary Volatility,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(02), pages 422-456, April.
- Stephan Smeekes & A. M. Robert Taylor, 2010. "Bootstrap union tests for unit roots in the presence of nonstationary volatility," Discussion Papers 10/03, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Smeekes Stephan & Taylor A. M. Robert, 2010. "Bootstrap Union Tests for Unit Roots in the Presence of Nonstationary Volatility," Research Memorandum 015, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 1997.
"Lag Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
369, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2001. "LAG Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1519-1554, November.
- Margaret McConnell & Gabriel Perez Quiros, 2000.
"Output fluctuations in the United States: what has changed since the early 1980s?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Gabriel Perez-Quiros & Margaret M. McConnell, 2000. "Output Fluctuations in the United States: What Has Changed since the Early 1980's?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1464-1476, December.
- Margaret M. McConnell & Gabriel Perez Quiros, 1997. "Output fluctuations in the United States: what has changed since the early 1980s?," Research Paper 9735, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Margaret M. McConnell & Gabriel Perez Quiros, 1998. "Output fluctuations in the United States: what has changed since the early 1980s?," Staff Reports 41, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Cavaliere, Giuseppe & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2009. "Heteroskedastic Time Series With A Unit Root," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(05), pages 1228-1276, October.
- Xu, Ke-Li & Phillips, Peter C. B., 2011. "Tilted Nonparametric Estimation of Volatility Functions With Empirical Applications," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 29(4), pages 518-528.
- Brendan K. Beare, 2008. "Unit Root Testing with Unstable Volatility," Economics Papers 2008-W06, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Cavaliere, Giuseppe & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2007. "Testing for unit roots in time series models with non-stationary volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 919-947, October.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2005.
"A Note on the Selection of Time Series Models,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(1), pages 115-134, 02.
- Yoosoon Chang & Joon Park, 2002. "On The Asymptotics Of Adf Tests For Unit Roots," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 431-447.
- M Sensier & D van Dijk, 2003.
"Testing for Volatility Changes in US Macroeconomic Time Series,"
Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series
36, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Marianne Sensier & Dick van Dijk, 2004. "Testing for Volatility Changes in U.S. Macroeconomic Time Series," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(3), pages 833-839, August.
- Cavaliere, Giuseppe & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2008. "Bootstrap Unit Root Tests For Time Series With Nonstationary Volatility," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(01), pages 43-71, February.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Giuseppe Cavaliere & A. M. Robert Taylor, 2009. "Bootstrap M Unit Root Tests," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(5), pages 393-421.
- Brandan K. Beare, 2008. "Unit Root Testing with Unstable Volatility," Economics Series Working Papers 2008-WO6, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:umamet:2011056. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.