Modified fast double sieve bootstraps for ADF tests
This paper studies the finite sample performance of the sieve bootstrap augmented Dickey-Fuller (ADF) unit root test. It is well known that this test's accuracy in terms of rejection probability under the null depends greatly on the underlying DGP. Through extensive simulations, we find that it also depends on the number of lags employed in the bootstrap DGP and in the bootstrap ADF regression. Based on this finding and using some well established theoretical results, we propose a simple modification that significantly improves the test's accuracy. We also introduce different versions of the fast double bootstrap, each modified according to the same theoretical basis. According to our simulations, these new testing procedures have lower error in rejection probability under the null while retaining good power.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 2007.
"Improving the reliability of bootstrap tests with the fast double bootstrap,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 3259-3281, April.
- Russell Davidson & James Mackinnon, 2006. "Improving the reliability of bootstrap tests with the fast double bootstrap," Working Papers halshs-00439247, HAL.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 2006. "Improving the Reliability of Bootstrap Tests with the Fast Double Bootstrap," Working Papers 1044, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2001.
"LAG Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1519-1554, November.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 1997. "Lag Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 369, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Phillips, P C B, 1987.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 277-301, March.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985. "Time Series Regression with a Unit Root," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Tom Doan, . "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Park, Joon, 2002.
"Bootstrap Unit Root Tests,"
2003-04, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Joon Y. Park, 2000. "Bootstrap Unit Root Tests," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1587, Econometric Society.
- Park, Joon Y., 2002. "An Invariance Principle For Sieve Bootstrap In Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 469-490, April.
- Galbraith, JohnW. & Zinde-Walsh, Victoria, 1999. "On the distributions of Augmented Dickey-Fuller statistics in processes with moving average components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 25-47, November.
- Palm Franz C. & Smeekes Stephan & Urbain Jean-Pierre, 2006.
"Bootstrap Unit Root Tests: Comparison and Extensions,"
015, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Franz C. Palm & Stephan Smeekes & Jean-Pierre Urbain, 2008. "Bootstrap Unit-Root Tests: Comparison and Extensions," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 371-401, 03.
- Yoosoon Chang & Joon Y. Park, 2003. "A Sieve Bootstrap For The Test Of A Unit Root," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(4), pages 379-400, 07.
- Paparoditis, Efstathios & Politis, Dimitris N., 2005. "Bootstrapping Unit Root Tests for Autoregressive Time Series," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 545-553, June.
- James G. MacKinnon, 2006. "Applications of the Fast Double Bootstrap," Working Papers 1023, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Patrick Richard, 2007. "ARMA Sieve bootstrap unit root tests," Cahiers de recherche 07-05, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke, revised Jul 2009.
- Yoosoon Chang & Joon Park, 2002. "On The Asymptotics Of Adf Tests For Unit Roots," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 431-447.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:53:y:2009:i:12:p:4490-4499. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.