Bootstrap Unit Root Tests: Comparison and Extensions
In this paper we study and compare the properties of several bootstrap unit root tests recently proposed in the literature. The tests are Dickey-Fuller or Augmented DF-tests, either based on residuals from an autoregression and the use of the block bootstrap (Paparoditis & Politis, 2003) or on first differenced data and the use of the stationary bootstrap (Swensen, 2003a) or sieve bootstrap (Psaradakis, 2001; Chang & Park, 2003). We extend the analysis by interchanging the data transformations (differences versus residuals), the types of bootstrap and the presence or absence of a correction for autocorrelation in the tests. We prove that two sieve bootstrap tests based on residuals remain asymptotically valid, thereby completing the proofs of validity for all the types of DF bootstrap tests. In contrast to the literature which basically focuses on a comparison of the bootstrap tests with an asymptotic test, we compare the bootstrap tests among them using response surfaces for their size and power in a simulation study. We also investigate how the tests behave when accounting for a deterministic trend, even in the absence of such a trend in the data. This study leads to the following conclusions: (i) augmented DF-tests are always preferred to standard DF-tests; (ii) the sieve bootstrap performs slightly better than the block bootstrap; (iii) difference-based and residual-based tests behave similarly in terms of size although the latter appear more powerful. The results for the response surfaces allow us to make statements about the behaviour of the bootstrap tests as sample size increases.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: +31 (0)43 38 83 830
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paparoditis, Efstathios & Politis, Dimitris N., 2005. "Bootstrapping Unit Root Tests for Autoregressive Time Series," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 545-553, June.
- Paparoditis, Efstathios & Politis, Dimitris N, 2001. "Unit Root Testing via the Continuous-Path Block Bootstrap," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt9qb4r775, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Efstathios Paparoditis & Dimitris N. Politis, 2003. "Residual-Based Block Bootstrap for Unit Root Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(3), pages 813-855, 05.
- Swensen, Anders Rygh, 2003. "A Note On The Power Of Bootstrap Unit Root Tests," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(01), pages 32-48, February.
- Yoosoon Chang & Joon Y. Park, 2003. "A Sieve Bootstrap For The Test Of A Unit Root," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(4), pages 379-400, 07.
- Parker, Cameron & Paparoditis, Efstathios & Politis, Dimitris N., 2006. "Unit root testing via the stationary bootstrap," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 601-638, August.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2001.
"LAG Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1519-1554, November.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 1997. "Lag Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 369, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Park, Joon Y., 2002. "An Invariance Principle For Sieve Bootstrap In Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 469-490, April.
- Anders Rygh Swensen, 2003. "Bootstrapping unit root tests for integrated processes," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 99-126, 01.
- Yoosoon Chang & Joon Park, 2002. "On The Asymptotics Of Adf Tests For Unit Roots," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 431-447.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:umamet:2006015. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.