The Impact of Trade Liberalisation on Export Growth and Import Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa
This paper adopts panel data methodologies to investigate the impact of trade liberalisation on export growth and import growth across 28 Sub-Saharan African countries from 1981 to 2010. We find that trade liberalisation increases the growth of exports, however, imports grow faster by approximately two percentage points which gives a prima facie evidence that the trade balance in the region deteriorated in the post-liberalisation era. We also find that trade liberalisation significantly raises the price elasticity of demand for exports and imports, however, it does not significantly affect income elasticity of demand.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0)1227 827497
Web page: http://www.kent.ac.uk/economics/
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Melo, Oscar & Vogt, Michael G., 1984. "Determinants of the demand for imports of Venezuela," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 351-358, April.
- Boylan, T. A. & Cuddy, M. P., 1987. "Elasticities of import demand and economic development : The Irish Experience," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 301-309, August.
- David Greenaway & David Sapsford, 1994.
"What does liberalisation do for exports and growth?,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 152-174, March.
- David Greenaway & David Sapsford, . "What does Liberalisation do for Exports and Growth?," Working Papers ec4/94, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Penelope Pacheco-Lopez & A. P. Thirlwall, 2007. "Trade Liberalisation and the Trade-Off Between Growth and the Balance of Payments in Latin America," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 469-490.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- David Roodman, 2009.
"How to do xtabond2: An introduction to difference and system GMM in Stata,"
StataCorp LP, vol. 9(1), pages 86-136, March.
- David Roodman, 2006. "How to Do xtabond2: An Introduction to "Difference" and "System" GMM in Stata," Working Papers 103, Center for Global Development.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Amelia Santos-Paulino & A. P. Thirlwall, 2004. "The impact of trade liberalisation on exports, imports and the balance of payments of developing countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(493), pages F50-F72, 02.
- Wacziarg, Romain & Welch, Karen Horn, 2003.
"Trade Liberalization and Growth: New Evidence,"
1826, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- PenÃ©lope Pacheco LÃ³pez & A. P. Thirlwall, 2006. "Trade liberalization, the income elasticity of demand for imports, and growth in Latin America," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 29(1), pages 41-61, October.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, .
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model,"
W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Kornai, Janos, 1992. "The Socialist System: The Political Economy of Communism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287766, March.
- Michael Bleaney, 1999. "Trade reform, macroeconomic performance and export growth in ten Latin American countries, 1979-95," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 89-105.
- Lopez, Ramon & Thomas, Vinod, 1988. "Imports and growth in Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 20, The World Bank.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979.
"The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences,"
BNL Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Anthony P. Thirlwall, 2011. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," PSL Quarterly Review, Economia civile, vol. 64(259), pages 429-438.
- Dean, J.M. & Desai, S. & Riedel, J., 1994. "Trade Policy Reform in Developing Countries since 1985," World Bank - Discussion Papers 267, World Bank.
- Greenaway, David & Morgan, Wyn & Wright, Peter, 1997. "Trade liberalization and growth in developing countries: Some new evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(11), pages 1885-1892, November.
- Greenaway, David & Morgan, Wyn & Wright, Peter, 2002. "Trade liberalisation and growth in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 229-244, February.
- Penelope Pacheco-López, 2004. "Does The Impact of Trade Liberalisation on Exports, Imports, the Balance of Payments and Growth: the Case of Mexico," Studies in Economics 0401, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Nasiruddin Ahmed, 2000. "Export response to trade liberalization in Bangladesh: a cointegration analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(8), pages 1077-1084.
- Bertola, Giuseppe & Faini, Riccardo, 1990. "Import demand and non-tariff barriers: The impact of trade liberalization : An application to Morocco," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 269-286, November.
- A. Colin Cameron & Pravin K. Trivedi, 2010. "Microeconometrics Using Stata, Revised Edition," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, number musr, November.
- Mah, Jai S., 1999. "Import Demand, Liberalization, and Economic Development," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 497-503, July.
- Ratnaike, Yasanji C., 2012. "Is there an empirical link between trade liberalisation and export performance?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 375-378.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ukc:ukcedp:1310. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tracey Girling)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.