Internet Regulation, Two-Sided Pricing, and Sponsored Data
We consider a network that intermediates traffic between free content providers and consumers. Two-sided pricing of consumers and content providers allows profit extraction by the network and transmission of information on the social value of content. Profit maximizing tariffs give the content providers the option to sponsor the traffic of consumers. We show that a cost-oriented price-cap on the charge to content providers improves social welfare, while banning discrimination or imposing zero price for content providers is not optimal if content is valuable enough.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:||Jan 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (+33) 5 61 12 86 23|
Web page: http://www.tse-fr.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peitz, M. & Schütt, F., 2015.
"Net Neutrality and Inflation of Traffic,"
2015-006, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Peitz, Martin & Schuett, Florian, 2015. "Net neutrality and inflation of traffic," Working Papers 15-05, University of Mannheim, Department of Economics.
- Peitz, M. & Schütt, F., 2015. "Net Neutrality and Inflation of Traffic," Discussion Paper 2015-017, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael L. Katz, 2009.
"Information and the hold-up problem,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 40(3), pages 405-423.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002.
"Platform competition in two sided markets,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2014. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," CPI Journal, Competition Policy International, vol. 10.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- George A. Akerlof, 1970. "The Market for "Lemons": Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 2004.
"On the Receiver-Pays Principle,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 35(1), pages 85-110, Spring.
- Jay Pil Choi & Doh-Shin Jeon & Byung-Cheol Kim, 2014.
"Asymmetric Neutrality Regulation and Innovation at the Edges: Fixed vs. Mobile Networks,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4974, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jay Pil Choi & Doh-Shin Jeon & Byung-Cheol Kim, 2013. "Asymmetric Neutrality Regulation and Innovation at the Edges: Fixed vs. Mobile Networks," Working Papers 13-24, NET Institute.
- Choi, Jay & Jeon, Doh-Shin & Kim, Byung-Cheol, 2014. "Asymmetric Neutrality Regulation and Innovation at the Edges: Fixed vs. Mobile Networks," TSE Working Papers 14-521, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Hermalin, Benjamin E. & Katz, Michael L., 2007.
"The economics of product-line restrictions with an application to the network neutrality debate,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 215-248, June.
- Hermalin, Benjamin E & Katz, Michael L, 2006. "The Economics of Product-Line Restrictions With an Application to the Network Neutrality Debate," Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series qt81r3b7xs, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Reggiani, Carlo & Valletti, Tommaso, 2016.
"Net neutrality and innovation at the core and at the edge,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 16-27.
- Carlo Reggiani & Tommaso Valletti, 2012. "Net neutrality and innovation at the core and at the edge," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1202, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2003. " Chicken & Egg: Competition among Intermediation Service Providers," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(2), pages 309-28, Summer.
- Jullien, Bruno & Mariotti, Thomas, 2002.
"Auction and the Informed Seller Problem,"
IDEI Working Papers
145, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Oct 2004.
- Krämer, Jan & Wiewiorra, Lukas, 2009. "Network neutrality and congestion sensitive content providers: Implications for content variety, broadband investment and regulation," MPRA Paper 42519, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Jan 2012.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tse:wpaper:26061. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.