Internet Regulation, Two-Sided Pricing, and Sponsored Data
We consider a network that intermediates traffic between free content providers and consumers. Two-sided pricing of consumers and content providers allows profit extraction by the network and transmission of information on the social value of content. Profit maximizing tariffs give the content providers the option to sponsor the trafic of consumers. We show that a cost-oriented price-cap on the charge to content providers improves social welfare, while banning discrimination or imposing zero price for content providers is not optimal if content is valuable enough.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:||Jan 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manufacture des Tabacs, Aile Jean-Jacques Laffont, 21 Allée de Brienne, 31000 TOULOUSE|
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peitz, Martin & Schuett, Florian, 2015.
"Net neutrality and inflation of traffic,"
15-05, University of Mannheim, Department of Economics.
- Peitz, M. & Schütt, F., 2015. "Net Neutrality and Inflation of Traffic," Discussion Paper 2015-017, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Peitz, M. & Schütt, F., 2015. "Net Neutrality and Inflation of Traffic," Discussion Paper 2015-006, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002.
"Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2014. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," CPI Journal, Competition Policy International, vol. 10.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Choi, Jay & Jeon, Doh-Shin & Kim, Byung-Cheol, 2014.
"Asymmetric Neutrality Regulation and Innovation at the Edges: Fixed vs. Mobile Networks,"
TSE Working Papers
14-521, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Jay Pil Choi & Doh-Shin Jeon & Byung-Cheol Kim, 2013. "Asymmetric Neutrality Regulation and Innovation at the Edges: Fixed vs. Mobile Networks," Working Papers 13-24, NET Institute.
- Jay Pil Choi & Doh-Shin Jeon & Byung-Cheol Kim, 2014. "Asymmetric Neutrality Regulation and Innovation at the Edges: Fixed vs. Mobile Networks," CESifo Working Paper Series 4974, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jullien, B. & Mariotti, T., 2006.
"Auction and the informed seller problem,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 225-258, August.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2003. " Chicken & Egg: Competition among Intermediation Service Providers," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(2), pages 309-28, Summer.
- Hermalin, Benjamin E. & Katz, Michael L, 2009.
"Information and the Hold-Up Problem,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt782315gb, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Doh Shin Jeon & Jean Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 2001.
"On the receiver pays principle,"
Economics Working Papers
561, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Carlo Reggiani & Tommaso Valletti, 2012.
"Net neutrality and innovation at the core and at the edge,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
1202, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Reggiani, Carlo & Valletti, Tommaso, 2016. "Net neutrality and innovation at the core and at the edge," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 16-27.
- Hermalin, Benjamin E. & Katz, Michael L., 2007.
"The economics of product-line restrictions with an application to the network neutrality debate,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 215-248, June.
- Hermalin, Benjamin E & Katz, Michael L, 2006. "The Economics of Product-Line Restrictions With an Application to the Network Neutrality Debate," Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series qt81r3b7xs, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Krämer, Jan & Wiewiorra, Lukas, 2009. "Network neutrality and congestion sensitive content providers: Implications for content variety, broadband investment and regulation," MPRA Paper 42519, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Jan 2012.
- George A. Akerlof, 1970. "The Market for "Lemons": Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ide:wpaper:26053. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.