Learning by Doing, Export Subsidies, and Industry Growth: Japanese Steel in the 1950s and 1960s
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Ohashi, Hiroshi, 2005. "Learning by doing, export subsidies, and industry growth: Japanese steel in the 1950s and 1960s," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 297-323, July.
References listed on IDEAS
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1986. "Trade policy with several goods and market linkages," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3-4), pages 249-267, May.
- Beason, Richard & Weinstein, David E, 1996.
"Growth, Economies of Scale, and Targeting in Japan (1955-1990),"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 286-295, May.
- Beason, R. & Weinstein, D.E., 1993. "Growth, Economies of Scale, and Targeting in Japan (1955- 1990)," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1644, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Harald Gruber, 1998. "Learning by Doing and Spillovers: Further Evidence for the Semiconductor Industry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 13(6), pages 697-711, December.
- Miwa, Yoshiro & Ramseyer, J. Mark, 2001. "Japanese Economic Policy and Policy Evaluation―The Case of “Industrial Policy”―," Economic Review, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 52(3), pages 193-204, July.
- Irwin, Douglas A. & Pavcnik, Nina, 2004.
"Airbus versus Boeing revisited: international competition in the aircraft market,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 223-245, December.
- Douglas A. Irwin & Nina Pavcnik, 2001. "Airbus versus Boeing Revisited: International Competition in the Aircraft Market," NBER Working Papers 8648, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Irwin, Douglas & Pavcnik, Nina, 2003. "Airbus versus Boeing Revisited: International Competition in the Aircraft Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 3876, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Itoh, Motoshige & Kiyono, Kazuharu, 1987. "Welfare-Enhancing Export Subsidies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(1), pages 115-137, February.
- Robert E. Baldwin, 2004.
"Openness and Growth: What's the Empirical Relationship?,"
NBER Chapters, in: Challenges to Globalization: Analyzing the Economics, pages 499-526,
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Baldwin, 2003. "Openness and Growth: What's the Empirical Relationship?," NBER Working Papers 9578, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Irwin, Douglas A & Klenow, Peter J, 1994. "Learning-by-Doing Spillovers in the Semiconductor Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(6), pages 1200-1227, December.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1988.
"Learning-by-Doing, Market Structure and Industrial and Trade Policies,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 40(2), pages 246-268, June.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1985. "Learning-by-doing, Market Structure and Industrial and Trade Policies," CEPR Discussion Papers 80, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995.
"Economic Reform and the Process of Global Integration,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(1, 25th A), pages 1-118.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995. "Economic Reform and the Progress of Global Integration," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1733, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Head, Keith, 1994. "Infant industry protection in the steel rail industry," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3-4), pages 141-165, November.
- Rebecca Achee Thornton & Peter Thompson, 2001. "Learning from Experience and Learning from Others: An Exploration of Learning and Spillovers in Wartime Shipbuilding," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1350-1368, December.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1985.
"Export subsidies and international market share rivalry,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 83-100, February.
- James A. Brander & Barbara J. Spencer, 1984. "Export Subsidies and International Market Share Rivalry," NBER Working Papers 1464, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- C. Lanier Benkard, 2000. "Learning and Forgetting: The Dynamics of Aircraft Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 1034-1054, September.
- Miravete, Eugenio J., 1998. "Infant-industry tariff protection with pressure groups," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 749-784, November.
- Spence, Michael, 1984. "Cost Reduction, Competition, and Industry Performance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 101-121, January.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Kündigungsschutz â€“ ein Innovationsmotor?
by Kantoos in Kantoos Economics on 2010-12-21 18:00:00
- Quotation of the Day…
by Don Boudreaux in Cafe Hayek on 2017-02-28 19:09:27
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tsuyoshi Nakamura & Hiroshi Ohashi, 2011. "Matrix Exponential Stochastic Volatility with Cross Leverage," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-813, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Park, Sangin, 2009. "An empirical evaluation of the 1986 Semiconductor Trade Arrangement," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 349-357, December.
- Namsuk Choi, 2011. "Accounting for Learning-by-Doing in Foreign Trade," Korean Economic Review, Korean Economic Association, vol. 27, pages 115-138.
- Liao, Hailin & Wang, Bin & Li, Baibing & Weyman-Jones, Tom, 2016. "ICT as a general-purpose technology: The productivity of ICT in the United States revisited," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 10-25.
- Zhao, Wei, 2013. "Estimating Dynamic Merger Effciencies with an Application to the 1997 Boeing-McDonnell Douglas Merger," MPRA Paper 63184, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 11 Sep 2014.
- Hiroshi Ohashi & Tsuyoshi Nakamura, 2005. "Technology Adoption, Learning by Doing, and Productivity: A Study from Steel Refining Furnaces," 2005 Meeting Papers 28, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Mbaye, Samba, 2012. "Currency Undervaluation and Growth: Is there a Productivity Channel?," MPRA Paper 44261, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thompson, Peter, 2010. "Learning by Doing," Handbook of the Economics of Innovation, in: Bronwyn H. Hall & Nathan Rosenberg (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Innovation, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 0, pages 429-476, Elsevier.
- Tsuyoshi Nakamura & Hiroshi Ohashi, 2008. "Effects Of Technology Adoption On Productivity And Industry Growth: A Study Of Steel Refining Furnaces," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(3), pages 470-499, September.
- Ju, Jiandong & Lin, Justin Yifu & Wang, Yong, 2011. "Marshallian externality, industrial upgrading, and industrial policies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5796, The World Bank.
- Tatsuo Hatta, 2017. "Competition Policy vs. Industrial Policy as a Growth Strategy," Working Papers DP-2016-40, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Satoshi Myojo & Hiroshi Ohashi, 2009. "Assessing the Consequences of a Horizontal Merger and its Remedies in a Dynamic Environment," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-609, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Sacchidananda Mukherjee & Debashis Chakraborty & Julien Chaisse, 2014. "Influence of Subsidies on Exports empirical estimates,policy evidences and regulatory prospects," Working Papers 1422, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade.
- Tsuyoshi Nakamura & Hiroshi Ohashi, 2005. "Technology Adoption, Learning by Doing, and Productivity: A Study of Steel Refining Furnaces," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-368, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
More about this item
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:fseres:2004cf280. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/ritokjp.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.