The influence of CEO power on agency costs in non-profit organisations: evidence from the global microfinance industry
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Rients Galema & Robert Lensink & Roy Mersland, 2012. "Do Powerful CEOs Determine Microfinance Performance?," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 718-742, June.
- Mester, Loretta J., 1993.
"Efficiency in the savings and loan industry,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 267-286, April.
- Loretta J. Mester, "undated". "Efficiency in the Savings and Loan Industry," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 26-92, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Loretta J. Mester, 1992. "Efficiency in the savings and loan industry," Working Papers 92-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Servin, Roselia & Lensink, Robert & van den Berg, Marrit, 2012. "Ownership and technical efficiency of microfinance institutions: Empirical evidence from Latin America," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2136-2144.
- Renee B. Adams & Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 2010.
"The Role of Boards of Directors in Corporate Governance: A Conceptual Framework and Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 48(1), pages 58-107, March.
- Renée Adams & Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 2008. "The Role of Boards of Directors in Corporate Governance: A Conceptual Framework and Survey," NBER Working Papers 14486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adams, Renee & Hermalin, Benjamin E. & Weisbach, Michael S., 2009. "The Role of Boards of Directors in Corporate Governance: A Conceptual Framework and Survey," Working Paper Series 2008-21, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Timothy Besley & Maitreesh Ghatak, 2005.
"Competition and Incentives with Motivated Agents,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 616-636, June.
- Besley, Timothy & Ghatak, Maitreesh, 2003. "Competition and incentives with motivated agents," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2202, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Besley, Tim & Ghatak, Maitreesh, 2005. "Competition and incentives with motivated agents," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 928, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Besley, Timothy J. & Ghatak, Maitreesh, 2004. "Competition and Incentives with Motivated Agents," CEPR Discussion Papers 4641, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Imbierowicz, Björn & Rauch, Christian, 2014. "The relationship between liquidity risk and credit risk in banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 242-256.
- Fleming, Grant & Heaney, Richard & McCosker, Rochelle, 2005. "Agency costs and ownership structure in Australia," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 29-52, January.
- Frank Jr. , Douglas H. & Obloj , Tomasz, 2013. "Firm-Specific Human Capital, Organizational Incentives, and Agency Costs: Evidence from Retail Banking," HEC Research Papers Series 999, HEC Paris.
- Mersland, Roy & Øystein Strøm, R., 2009. "Performance and governance in microfinance institutions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 662-669, April.
- Mersland, Roy, 2009.
"The Cost of Ownership in Microfinance Organizations,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 469-478, February.
- Mersland, Roy, 2007. "The cost of ownership in microfinance organization," MPRA Paper 2061, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Blair, Dudley W. & Placone, Dennis L., 1988. "Expense-preference behavior, agency costs, and firm organization the savings and loan industry," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Timothy H. Hannan & Ferdinand Mavinga, 1980. "Expense Preference and Managerial Control: the Case of the Banking Firm," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(2), pages 671-682, Autumn.
- Raymond Fisman & R. Glenn Hubbard, 2003. "The Role of Nonprofit Endowments," NBER Chapters,in: The Governance of Not-for-Profit Organizations, pages 217-234 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2010.
"Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 2, volume 1, number 0262232588, March.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232197, November.
- Joanna Ledgerwood, 2013. "The New Microfinance Handbook : A Financial Market System Perspective," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 12272, 05-2018.
- James S. Ang & Rebel A. Cole & James Wuh Lin, 2000. "Agency Costs and Ownership Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 81-106, February.
- Prowse, Stephen D., 1990. "Institutional investment patterns and corporate financial behavior in the United States and Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 43-66, September.
- D’Espallier, Bert & Goedecke, Jann & Hudon, Marek & Mersland, Roy, 2017.
"From NGOs to Banks: Does Institutional Transformation Alter the Business Model of Microfinance Institutions?,"
Elsevier, vol. 89(C), pages 19-33.
- Bert D'Espallier & Jann Goedecke & Marek Hudon & Roy Mersland, 2016. "From NGOs to banks: Does institutional transformation alter the business model of microfinance institutions?," Working Papers CEB 16-029, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Ryan, Harley Jr. & Wiggins, Roy III, 2001. "The influence of firm- and manager-specific characteristics on the structure of executive compensation," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 101-123, June.
- Beatriz Armendáriz de Aghion & Jonathan Morduch, 2000. "Microfinance Beyond Group Lending," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 8(2), pages 401-420, July.
- Singh, Manohar & Davidson III, Wallace N., 2003. "Agency costs, ownership structure and corporate governance mechanisms," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 793-816, May.
- Beisland, Leif Atle & Mersland, Roy & Randøy, Trond, 2014. "The Association between microfinance rating scores and corporate governance: a global survey," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 268-280.
- Robert Cull & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Jonathan Morduch, 2014.
"Banks and Microbanks,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 1-53, August.
- Cull, Robert & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Morduch, Jonathan, 2009. "Banks and microbanks," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5078, The World Bank.
- Cull, Robert & Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Morduch, Jonathan, 2013. "Banks and Microbanks," CEI Working Paper Series 2013-03, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Roy Mersland & Reidar Øystein Strøm, 2008. "Performance and trade-offs in Microfinance Organisations-does ownership matter?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(5), pages 598-612.
- Arnould, Richard J., 1985. "Agency costs in banking firms: An analysis of expense preference behavior," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 103-112, May.
- Stephen D. Prowse, 1990. "Institutional investment patterns and corporate financial behavior in the U.S. and Japan," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 108, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Begoña Gutiérrez Nieto & Carlos Serrano Cinca, 2006. "Factors explaining the rating of Microfinance Institutions," Documentos de Trabajo dt2006-03, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad de Zaragoza.
More about this item
KeywordsCEO; NPO; agency costs; microfinance;
- M12 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting; Personnel Economics - - Business Administration - - - Personnel Management; Executives; Executive Compensation
- L31 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Nonprofit Institutions; NGOs; Social Entrepreneurship
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2016-11-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2016-11-27 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-HRM-2016-11-27 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-MFD-2016-11-27 (Microfinance)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sol:wpaper:2013/240515. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/cebulbe.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.