Switching from Fossil Fuel to Renewables in Residential Heating Systems: An Empirical Study of Homeowners’ Decisions in Germany
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Michelsen, Carl Christian & Madlener, Reinhard, 2016. "Switching from fossil fuel to renewables in residential heating systems: An empirical study of homeowners' decisions in Germany," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 89(C), pages 95-105.
References listed on IDEAS
- A. Prinzie & D. Van Den Poel, 2007. "Predicting home-appliance acquisition sequences: Markov/Markov for Discrimination and survival analysis for modeling sequential information in NPTB models," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 07/442, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Anderson, Soren T., 2012. "The demand for ethanol as a gasoline substitute," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 151-168.
- de Haan, Peter & Mueller, Michel G. & Peters, Anja, 2006. "Does the hybrid Toyota Prius lead to rebound effects? Analysis of size and number of cars previously owned by Swiss Prius buyers," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 592-605, June.
- Brown, Marilyn A., 2001. "Market failures and barriers as a basis for clean energy policies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(14), pages 1197-1207, November.
- Sopha, Bertha Maya & Klöckner, Christian A. & Skjevrak, Geir & Hertwich, Edgar G., 2010. "Norwegian households' perception of wood pellet stove compared to air-to-air heat pump and electric heating," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 3744-3754, July.
- Train,Kenneth E., 2009. "Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521766555, August.
- van der Kroon, Bianca & Brouwer, Roy & van Beukering, Pieter J.H., 2013. "The energy ladder: Theoretical myth or empirical truth? Results from a meta-analysis," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 20(C), pages 504-513.
- Mansur, Erin T. & Mendelsohn, Robert & Morrison, Wendy, 2008. "Climate change adaptation: A study of fuel choice and consumption in the US energy sector," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 175-193, March.
- Kivi, Antero & Smura, Timo & Töyli, Juuso, 2012. "Technology product evolution and the diffusion of new product features," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 107-126.
- Kretschmer, Tobias, 2004. "Upgrading and niche usage of PC operating systems," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1155-1182, November.
- Michelsen, Carl Christian & Madlener, Reinhard, 2012. "Homeowners' preferences for adopting innovative residential heating systems: A discrete choice analysis for Germany," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1271-1283.
- Hausman, Jerry & McFadden, Daniel, 1984.
"Specification Tests for the Multinomial Logit Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(5), pages 1219-1240, September.
- D. McFadden & J. Hausman, 1981. "Specification Tests for the Multinominal Logit Model," Working papers 292, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Mahapatra, Krushna & Gustavsson, Leif, 2008. "An adopter-centric approach to analyze the diffusion patterns of innovative residential heating systems in Sweden," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 577-590, February.
- Grieve, Campbell & Lawson, Rob & Henry, James, 2012. "Understanding the non-adoption of energy efficient hot water systems in New Zealand," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 369-373.
- Balcombe, Paul & Rigby, Dan & Azapagic, Adisa, 2013. "Motivations and barriers associated with adopting microgeneration energy technologies in the UK," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 22(C), pages 655-666.
- van Rijnsoever, Frank J. & Oppewal, Harmen, 2012. "Predicting early adoption of successive video player generations," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 558-569.
- Michelsen, Carl Christian & Madlener, Reinhard, 2013. "Motivational factors influencing the homeowners’ decisions between residential heating systems: An empirical analysis for Germany," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 221-233.
- Tauchmann, H., 2006.
"Firing the furnace? An econometric analysis of utilities' fuel choice,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3898-3909, December.
- Tauchmann, Harald, 2004. "Firing the Furnace? - An Econometric Analysis of Utilities' Fuel Choice," RWI Discussion Papers 17, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- Sopha, Bertha Maya & Klöckner, Christian A., 2011. "Psychological factors in the diffusion of sustainable technology: A study of Norwegian households' adoption of wood pellet heating," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 2756-2765, August.
- Hunt Allcott & Michael Greenstone, 2012. "Is There an Energy Efficiency Gap?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 26(1), pages 3-28, Winter.
- Pacini, Henrique & Silveira, Semida, 2011. "Consumer choice between ethanol and gasoline: Lessons from Brazil and Sweden," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 6936-6942.
- Salvo, Alberto & Huse, Cristian, 2013. "Build it, but will they come? Evidence from consumer choice between gasoline and sugarcane ethanol," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 251-279.
- Joseph Guiltinan, 2010. "Consumer durables replacement decision-making: An overview and research agenda," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 163-174, June.
- Liao, Huei-Chu & Chang, Tsai-Feng, 2002. "Space-heating and water-heating energy demands of the aged in the US," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 267-284, May.
- J. Scott Long & Jeremy Freese, 2006. "Regression Models for Categorical Dependent Variables using Stata, 2nd Edition," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, edition 2, number long2, April.
- Jaffe, Adam B. & Stavins, Robert N., 1994. "The energy-efficiency gap What does it mean?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(10), pages 804-810, October.
- Koo, Yoonmo & Kim, Chang Seob & Hong, Junhee & Choi, Ie-Jung & Lee, Jongsu, 2012.
"Consumer preferences for automobile energy-efficiency grades,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 446-451.
- Chang Seob Kim & Yoonmo Koo & Ie-jung Choi & Junhee Hong & Jongsu Lee, 2009. "Consumer Preferences for Automobile Energy Efficiency Grades," TEMEP Discussion Papers 200932, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Nov 2009.
- Fernandez, Viviana P., 2001. "Observable and unobservable determinants of replacement of home appliances," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 305-323, May.
- Braun, Frauke G., 2010. "Determinants of households' space heating type: A discrete choice analysis for German households," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 5493-5503, October.
- Kleijnen, Mirella & Lee, Nick & Wetzels, Martin, 2009. "An exploration of consumer resistance to innovation and its antecedents," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 344-357, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Damette, Olivier & Delacote, Philippe & Lo, Gaye Del, 2018.
"Households energy consumption and transition toward cleaner energy sources,"
Elsevier, vol. 113(C), pages 751-764.
- Olivier Damette & Philippe Delacote & Gaye del Lo, 2017. "Households energy consumption and transition towards cleaner energy sources," Working Papers 1702, Chaire Economie du climat.
- Olivier Damette & Philippe Delacote & Gaye Del Lo, 2018. "Households energy consumption and transition toward cleaner energy sources," Post-Print hal-01762610, HAL.
- Michelsen, Carl Christian & Madlener, Reinhard, 2015. "Beyond Technology Adoption: Homeowner Satisfaction with Newly Adopted Residential Heating Systems," FCN Working Papers 1/2015, E.ON Energy Research Center, Future Energy Consumer Needs and Behavior (FCN).
- repec:eee:enepol:v:108:y:2017:i:c:p:673-683 is not listed on IDEAS
- Girod, Bastien & Mayer, Sebastian & Nägele, Florian, 2017. "Economic versus belief-based models: Shedding light on the adoption of novel green technologies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 101(C), pages 415-426.
- Strazzera, Elisabetta & Statzu, Vania, 2017. "Fostering photovoltaic technologies in Mediterranean cities: Consumers’ demand and social acceptance," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 102(PB), pages 361-371.
- repec:eee:rensus:v:80:y:2017:i:c:p:421-429 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hecher, Maria & Hatzl, Stefanie & Knoeri, Christof & Posch, Alfred, 2017. "The trigger matters: The decision-making process for heating systems in the residential building sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 102(C), pages 288-306.
- repec:eee:resene:v:52:y:2018:i:c:p:64-86 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ruokamo, Enni, 2016. "Household preferences of hybrid home heating systems – A choice experiment application," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 95(C), pages 224-237.
- repec:eee:energy:v:148:y:2018:i:c:p:716-727 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:enepol:v:113:y:2018:i:c:p:559-570 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:enepol:v:106:y:2017:i:c:p:222-232 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:rensus:v:82:y:2018:i:p3:p:2618-2628 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:enepol:v:120:y:2018:i:c:p:183-196 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bauermann, Klaas, 2016. "German Energiewende and the heating market – Impact and limits of policy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 94(C), pages 235-246.
- repec:eee:rensus:v:75:y:2017:i:c:p:534-547 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:enepol:v:117:y:2018:i:c:p:75-85 is not listed on IDEAS
- McCoy, Daire & Curtis, John, 2018.
"Exploring the spatial and temporal determinants of gas central heating adoption,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 64-86.
- Daire McCoy, John Curtis, 2017. "Exploring the spatial and temporal determinants of gas central heating adoption," GRI Working Papers 320, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Anke Jacksohn & Peter Grösche & Katrin Rehdanz & Carsten Schröder, 2018. "Drivers of Renewable Technology Adoption in the Household Sector," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 977, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Jingchao, Zhang & Kotani, Koji & Saijo, Tatsuyoshi, 2018.
"Public acceptance of environmentally friendly heating in Beijing: A case of a low temperature air source heat pump,"
Elsevier, vol. 117(C), pages 75-85.
- Zhang Jingchao & Koji Kotani & Tatsuyoshi Saijo, 2017. "Public acceptance of environmentally friendly electric heating in rural Beijing," Working Papers SDES-2017-2, Kochi University of Technology, School of Economics and Management, revised May 2017.
More about this item
KeywordsResidential heating systems; Private households; Technology replacement; Adoption barriers; Consumer choice;
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions; Probabilities
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- O33 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Innovation; Research and Development; Technological Change; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- Q41 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Demand and Supply; Prices
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-03-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2014-03-30 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2014-03-30 (Environmental Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:fcnwpa:2013_014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hendrik Schmitz). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/fceonde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.