Institutional Factors, Sport Policy, and Individual Sport Participation: An International Comparison
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Costa-Font, Joan & Gil, Joan, 2005. "Obesity and the incidence of chronic diseases in Spain: A seemingly unrelated probit approach," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 188-214, July.
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Lundstrom, Susanna, 2002.
"Economic Freedom and Growth: Decomposing the Effects,"
Springer, vol. 112(3-4), pages 335-344, September.
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Lundström, Susanna, 2001. "Economic Freedom and Growth:Decomposing the Effects," Working Papers in Economics 33, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Solomon W. Polachek & Jun Xiang, 2009.
"The Gender Pay Gap across Countries: A Human Capital Approach,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
227, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Solomon Polachek & Jun Xiang, 2015. "The Gender Pay Gap Across Countries: A Human Capital Approach," LIS Working papers 646, LIS Cross-National Data Center in Luxembourg.
- Polachek, Solomon & Xiang, Jun, 2014. "The Gender Pay Gap Across Countries: A Human Capital Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 8603, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Huang, Haifang & Humphreys, Brad R., 2012.
"Sports participation and happiness: Evidence from US microdata,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 776-793.
- Haifang Huang & Brad R. Humphreys, 2011. "Sports Participation and Happiness: Evidence from US Micro Data," Chapters,in: The Economics of Sport, Health and Happiness, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Huang, Haifang & Humphreys, Brad, 2010. "Sports Participation and Happiness: Evidence from U.S. Micro Data," Working Papers 2010-9, University of Alberta, Department of Economics, revised 01 Dec 2010.
- Balia, Silvia & Jones, Andrew M., 2008.
"Mortality, lifestyle and socio-economic status,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 1-26, January.
- S. Balia & AM. Jones, 2004. "Mortality, Lifestyle and Socio-Economic Status," Working Paper CRENoS 200416, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Silvia Balia & Andrew M Jones, 2005. "Mortality, lifestyle and socio-economic status," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 05/02, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Contoyannis, Paul & Jones, Andrew M., 2004. "Socio-economic status, health and lifestyle," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 965-995, September.
- Brad R. Humphreys & Jane E. Ruseski, 2007. "Participation In Physical Activity And Government Spending On Parks And Recreation," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 25(4), pages 538-552, October.
- Berggren, Niclas, 2003. "The Benefits of Economic Freedom: A Survey," Ratio Working Papers 4, The Ratio Institute.
- Paul Downward, 2004. "On leisure demand: a Post Keynesian critique of neoclassical theory," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(3), pages 371-394.
- Kristina Nyström, 2008.
"The institutions of economic freedom and entrepreneurship: evidence from panel data,"
Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 269-282, September.
- Nyström, Kristina, 2008. "The Institutions of Economic Freedom and Entrepreneurship: Evidence from Panel Data," Ratio Working Papers 114, The Ratio Institute.
- Samuel Bowles, 1998. "Endogenous Preferences: The Cultural Consequences of Markets and Other Economic Institutions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(1), pages 75-111, March.
- Lisa Farrell & Michael A. Shields, 2002. "Investigating the economic and demographic determinants of sporting participation in England," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 165(2), pages 335-348.
- Alfredo Esposto & Peter Zaleski, 1999. "Economic Freedom and the Quality of Life: An Empirical Analysis," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 185-197, June.
- Brad R. Humphreys & Logan McLeod & Jane E. Ruseski, 2014.
"Physical Activity And Health Outcomes: Evidence From Canada,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(1), pages 33-54, January.
- Humphreys, Brad & McLeod, Logan & Ruseski, Jane, 2011. "Physical Activity and Health Outcome: Evidence from Canada," Working Papers 2011-6, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Stroup, Michael D., 2007. "Economic Freedom, Democracy, and the Quality of Life," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 52-66, January.
- Lechner, Michael, 2009. "Long-run labour market and health effects of individual sports activities," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 839-854, July.
- Paul Downward, 2007. "Exploring the Economic Choice to Participate in Sport: Results from the 2002 General Household Survey," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(5), pages 633-653.
- Nazmi Sari, 2009. "Physical inactivity and its impact on healthcare utilization," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(8), pages 885-901.
- Jac C. Heckelman & Stephen Knack, 2009. "Aid, Economic Freedom, And Growth," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 27(1), pages 46-53, January.
- Jaume García & Fernando Lera-López & María José Suárez, 2011.
"Estimation of a Structural Model of the Determinants of the Time Spent on Physical Activity and Sport: Evidence for Spain,"
Journal of Sports Economics,
, vol. 12(5), pages 515-537, October.
- Jaume Garcia & Maria Jose Suarez, 2008. "Estimation of a Structural Model of the Determinants of the Time Spent in Physical Activity and Sport: Evidence for Spain," IASE Conference Papers 0819, International Association of Sports Economists.
- Wagner, Alexander F. & Schneider, Friedrich & Halla, Martin, 2009. "The quality of institutions and satisfaction with democracy in Western Europe -- A panel analysis," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 30-41, March.
- Downward, Paul & Lera-Lopez, Fernando & Rasciute, Simona, 2011. "The Zero-Inflated ordered probit approach to modelling sports participation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 2469-2477.
- Humphreys Brad R & Ruseski Jane E, 2011. "An Economic Analysis of Participation and Time Spent in Physical Activity," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-38, August.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pawlowski, Tim & Downward, Paul & Rasciute, Simona, 2014. "Does national pride from international sporting success contribute to well-being? An international investigation," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 121-132.
- Cabane Charlotte & Lechner Michael, 2015.
"Physical Activity of Adults: A Survey of Correlates, Determinants, and Effects,"
Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik),
De Gruyter, vol. 235(4-5), pages 376-402, August.
- Cabane, Charlotte & Lechner, Michael, 2014. "Physical activity of adults: A survey of correlates, determinants, and effects," ZEW Discussion Papers 14-088, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Cabane, Charlotte & Lechner, Michael, 2014. "Physical activity of adults: A survey of correlates, determinants, and effects," Economics Working Paper Series 1428, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science, revised May 2015.
- O’Reilly, Norm & Berger, Ida E. & Hernandez, Tony & Parent, Milena M. & Séguin, Benoit, 2015. "Urban sportscapes: An environmental deterministic perspective on the management of youth sport participation," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 291-307.
- Mutter, Felix & Pawlowski, Tim, 2014. "Role models in sports – Can success in professional sports increase the demand for amateur sport participation?," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 324-336.
More about this item
Keywordssport; physical activity; institutions; economic freedom;
- H59 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Other
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Behavior
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:albaec:2012_001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joseph Marchand). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/deualca.html .