Role models in sports – Can success in professional sports increase the demand for amateur sport participation?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Simona Rasciute & Paul Downward, 2010. "Health or Happiness? What Is the Impact of Physical Activity on the Individual?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(2), pages 256-270, May.
- Bosma, Niels & Hessels, Jolanda & Schutjens, Veronique & Praag, Mirjam Van & Verheul, Ingrid, 2012.
"Entrepreneurship and role models,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 410-424.
- Niels Bosma & Jolanda Hessels & Veronique Schutjens & Mirjam van Praag & Ingrid Verheul, 2011. "Entrepreneurship and Role Models," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-061/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Niels Bosma & Ingrid Verheul & Jolanda Hessels & Mirjam van Praag & Veronique Schutjens, 2011. "Entrepreneurship and Role Models," Scales Research Reports H201017, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- Humphreys, Brad & Maresova, Katerina & Ruseski, Jane, 2012. "Institutional Factors, Sport Policy, and Individual Sport Participation: An International Comparison," Working Papers 2012-1, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- repec:use:tkiwps:332 is not listed on IDEAS
- George A. Akerlof & Rachel E. Kranton, 2000. "Economics and Identity," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 115(3), pages 715-753.
- Brad R. Humphreys & Logan McLeod & Jane E. Ruseski, 2014.
"Physical Activity And Health Outcomes: Evidence From Canada,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(1), pages 33-54, January.
- Humphreys, Brad & McLeod, Logan & Ruseski, Jane, 2011. "Physical Activity and Health Outcome: Evidence from Canada," Working Papers 2011-6, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Wiktor Adamowicz & J. Deshazo, 2006. "Frontiers in Stated Preferences Methods: An Introduction," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 34(1), pages 1-6, May.
- Kristin Klopfenstein, 2005. "Beyond Test Scores: The Impact Of Black Teacher Role Models On Rigorous Math Taking," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 23(3), pages 416-428, July.
- Peter Dawson & Paul Downward, 2013. "The Relationship Between Participation in Sport and Sport Volunteering: An Economic Analysis," International Journal of Sport Finance, Fitness Information Technology, vol. 8(1), pages 75-92, February.
- Paul Downward, 2007. "Exploring the Economic Choice to Participate in Sport: Results from the 2002 General Household Survey," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(5), pages 633-653.
- Kim-Sau Chung, 2000. "Role Models and Arguments for Affirmative Action," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 640-648, June.
- Jaume García & Fernando Lera-López & María José Suárez, 2011.
"Estimation of a Structural Model of the Determinants of the Time Spent on Physical Activity and Sport: Evidence for Spain,"
Journal of Sports Economics,
, vol. 12(5), pages 515-537, October.
- Jaume Garcia & Maria Jose Suarez, 2008. "Estimation of a Structural Model of the Determinants of the Time Spent in Physical Activity and Sport: Evidence for Spain," IASE Conference Papers 0819, International Association of Sports Economists.
- Arne Feddersen & Sven Jacobsen & Wolfgang Maennig, 2009. "Sports Heroes and Mass Sports Participation – The (Double) Paradox of the "German Tennis Boom"," Working Papers 029, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- J. Scott Long & Jeremy Freese, 2006. "Regression Models for Categorical Dependent Variables using Stata, 2nd Edition," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, edition 2, number long2, December.
- Green, Mick & Collins, Shane, 2008. "Policy, Politics and Path Dependency: Sport Development in Australia and Finland," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 225-251, November.
- David S. Lyle, 2007. "Estimating and Interpreting Peer and Role Model Effects from Randomly Assigned Social Groups at West Point," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(2), pages 289-299, May.
- Cordes, Christian, 2009. "Changing your role models: Social learning and the Engel curve," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 957-965, December.
- Joel L. Horowitz & N. E. Savin, 2001. "Binary Response Models: Logits, Probits and Semiparametrics," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 43-56, Fall.
- Paul Downward & Simona Rasciute, 2011. "Does sport make you happy? An analysis of the well-being derived from sports participation," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(3), pages 331-348.
- Humphreys Brad R & Ruseski Jane E, 2011. "An Economic Analysis of Participation and Time Spent in Physical Activity," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-38, August.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cabane Charlotte & Lechner Michael, 2015.
"Physical Activity of Adults: A Survey of Correlates, Determinants, and Effects,"
Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik),
De Gruyter, vol. 235(4-5), pages 376-402, August.
- Cabane, Charlotte & Lechner, Michael, 2014. "Physical activity of adults: A survey of correlates, determinants, and effects," ZEW Discussion Papers 14-088, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Cabane, Charlotte & Lechner, Michael, 2014. "Physical activity of adults: A survey of correlates, determinants, and effects," Economics Working Paper Series 1428, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science, revised May 2015.
More about this item
KeywordsRole models; Demand for sport; Sport participation; Professional sports success; Ordered logit;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:spomar:v:17:y:2014:i:3:p:324-336. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.