Australia's Prosperous 2000s: Housing and the Mining Boom
The 2000s was a particularly eventful decade for both the international and Australian economies. There were: two recessions in many countries; the largest international financial crisis since the Great Depression; the ongoing rapid development of Asia; asset booms and busts; and, Australia experienced the longest sustained increase in commodity prices and the terms of trade in the nation's history. This paper provides an overview of the Australian economy's performance in the decade. Several key topics are elaborated on, including the development of Asia and implications for Australia, policy frameworks, and the opportunities and challenges facing the Australian economy, with a particular focus on the expansion of household balance sheets and the rapid growth in the mining economy.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: GPO Box 3947, Sydney NSW 2001|
Web page: http://www.rba.gov.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heiko Steffens, 2010. "OECD. (2009). Promoting Consumer Education—Trends, Policies and Good Practices. Paris: Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. ISBN 978-92-64-06008-1. 189 pp., 30.00 EUR," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 291-292, September.
- David Gruen & Amanda Sayegh, 2005.
"The evolution of fiscal policy in Australia,"
Treasury Working Papers
2005-04, The Treasury, Australian Government, revised Nov 2005.
- Ross Garnaut, 2005. "Is Macroeconomics Dead? Monetary and Fiscal Policy in Historical Context," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(4), pages 524-531, Winter.
- Paul Bloxham & Christopher Kent & Michael Robson, 2011.
"Asset Prices, Credit Growth, Monetary and Other Policies: An Australian Case Study,"
NBER Working Papers
16845, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Bloxham & Christopher Kent & Michael Robson, 2010. "Asset Prices, Credit Growth, Monetary and Other Policies: An Australian Case Study," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2010-06, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Luci Ellis, 2006. "Housing and Housing Finance: The View from Australia and Beyond," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2006-12, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Judith Yates, 2011. "Housing in Australia in the 2000s: On the Agenda Too Late?," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Hugo Gerard & Jonathan Kearns (ed.), The Australian Economy in the 2000s Reserve Bank of Australia.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rba:rbardp:rdp2011-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paula Drew)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.