Charitable Giving for Overseas Development: UK trends over a quarter century
Charitable giving is an important source of funding for overseas development and emergency relief. Donations in the UK are about a quarter of the size of government development aid. There has been strong growth over time, reflecting the activities of development charities and the public response to humanitarian emergencies. The paper examines how this charitable giving has changed since 1978, using a newly constructed panel data set on donations to individual UK charities. When did the increase take place? Did the public respond to events such as Live Aid or has there been a steady upward trend? What has been the relationship with changes in household income? Which charities have grown fastest? Have new charities displaced old? How do changes in giving for overseas compare with changes in giving for other causes?
|Date of creation:||22 Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Quantitative Social Science. UCL IOE, 20 Bedford Way London WC1H 0AL|
Phone: (44) (0)20 7612 6654. Eliminate (44) and add (0) if calling from inside the UK. Add (44) and eliminate (0) if calling from abroad.
Fax: (44) (0)20 7612 6686
Web page: http://www.ioe.ac.uk/research/departments/qss/35445.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Peter G. Backus & John Micklewright & Cathy Pharoah & Sylke V. Schnepf, 2011.
"Charitable Giving for Overseas Development: UK trends over a quarter century,"
DoQSS Working Papers
11-07, Department of Quantitative Social Science - UCL Institute of Education, University College London.
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Peter G. Backus & John Micklewright & Cathy Pharoah & Sylke V. Schnepf, 2012. "Charitable giving for overseas development: UK trends over a quarter century," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 175(1), pages 167-190, 01.
- Atkinson, Tony & Backus, Peter G. & Micklewright, John & Pharoah, Cathy & Schnepf, Sylke V., 2008. "Charitable Giving for Overseas Development: UK Trends over a Quarter Century," IZA Discussion Papers 3872, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Atkinson, Tony & Backus, Peter G. & Micklewright, John & Pharoah, Cathy & Schnepf, Sylke Viola, 2008. "Charitable Giving for Overseas Development: UK Trends Over a Quarter Century," CEPR Discussion Papers 7087, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dean Karlan & Margaret A. McConnell, 2012.
"Hey Look at Me: The Effect of Giving Circles on Giving,"
NBER Working Papers
17737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karlan, Dean & McConnell, Margaret A., 2012. "Hey Look at Me: The Effect of Giving Circles on Giving," Working Papers 96, Yale University, Department of Economics.
- Karlan, Dean S. & McConnell, Margaret, 2012. "Hey Look at Me: The Effect of Giving Circles on Giving," CEPR Discussion Papers 8785, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aldashev, Gani & Verdier, Thierry, 2010.
"Goodwill bazaar: NGO competition and giving to development,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 48-63, January.
- Gani Aldashev & Thierry Verdier, 2010. "Goodwill bazaar: NGO competition and giving to development," Post-Print halshs-00754487, HAL.
- Micklewright, John & Schnepf, Sylke V., 2007. "Who Gives for Overseas Development?," IZA Discussion Papers 3057, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Li, Hongyi & Maddala, G. S., 1997.
"Bootstrapping cointegrating regressions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 297-318, October.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate bootstrapping with cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00021, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- Kao, Chihwa, 1999. "Spurious regression and residual-based tests for cointegration in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 1-44, May.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Khanna, Jyoti & Posnett, John & Sandler, Todd, 1995. "Charity donations in the UK: New evidence based on panel data," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 257-272, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qss:dqsswp:1107. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bilal Nasim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.