Age Groups and the Measure of Population Aging
This paper proposes the use of optimal grouping methods for determining the various age groups within a population. The cuto� ages for these groups, such as the age from which an individual is considered to be an older person, are then endogenous variables that depend on the entire population age distribution at any given moment. This method is applied to the age distributions of some industrialized countries, for which cuto� ages as well as the main indicators of aging are calculated over the last 50 years.
|Date of creation:||05 Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- d'Albis, Hippolyte & Collard, Fabrice, 2013.
"Age Groups and the Measure of Population Aging,"
49972, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hippolyte D'Albis & Fabrice Collard, 2012. "Age groups and the Measure of Population Aging," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00768889, HAL.
- d'Albis, Hippolyte & Collard, Fabrice, 2011. "Age Groups and the Measure of Population Aging," LERNA Working Papers 11.05.339, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Hippolyte d'Albis & Fabrice Collard, 2012. "Age Groups and the Measure of Population Aging," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 12081, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Hippolyte D'Albis & Fabrice Collard, 2013. "Age groups and the measure of population aging," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" hal-01015396, HAL.
- Davies, J. B. & Shorrocks, A. F., 1989. "Optimal grouping of income and wealth data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 97-108, September.
- Warren C. Sanderson & Sergei Scherbov, 2009.
"A New Perspective on Population Ageing,"
European Demographic Research Papers
0503, Vienna Institute of Demography (VID) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences in Vienna.
- Ambra Poggi, 2005. "Endogenous population subgroups: the best population partition and optimal number of groups," Working Papers wpdea0508, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Georges De Menil & Robert Fenge & Pierre Pestieau, 2008. "Pension Strategies in Europe and the United States," Post-Print halshs-00754865, HAL.
- C. Chu, 1997. "Age-distribution dynamics and aging indexes," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 34(4), pages 551-563, November.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/11049 is not listed on IDEAS
- Foster, James E & Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1988. "Poverty Orderings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(1), pages 173-77, January.
- Foster, James E. & Shorrocks, Anthony F., 1988. "Inequality and poverty orderings," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 654-661, March.
- Joan Esteban & Carlos Gradín & Debraj Ray, 2007. "An Extension of a Measure of Polarization, with an application to the income distribution of five OECD countries," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 5(1), pages 1-19, April.
- Joaquim Oliveira Martins & Frédéric Gonand & Pablo Antolín & Christine de la Maisonneuve & Kwang-Yeol Yoo, 2005. "The Impact of Ageing on Demand, Factor Markets and Growth," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 420, OECD Publishing.
- Le Grand, Julian, 1987. "Inequalities in health : Some international comparisons," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 182-191.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:49972. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.