Age Groups and the Measure of Population Aging
This paper proposes the use of optimal grouping methods for determining the various age groups within a population. The cutoff ages for these groups, such as the age from wich an individual is considered to be an older person, are then endogenous variables that depend on the entire population age distribution at any given moment. This method is applied to the age distributions of some industrialized countries, for which cutoff ages as well as the main indicators of aging are calculated over the last 50 years.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 106-112 boulevard de l'Hôpital 75 647 PARIS CEDEX 13|
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://centredeconomiesorbonne.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Warren C. Sanderson & Sergei Scherbov, 2007.
"A new perspective on population aging,"
Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 16(2), pages 27-58, January.
- Hippolyte d'Albis & Fabrice Collard, 2012.
"Age Groups and the Measure of Population Aging,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
12081, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Hippolyte D'Albis & Fabrice Collard, 2012. "Age groups and the Measure of Population Aging," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00768889, HAL.
- d'Albis, Hippolyte & Collard, Fabrice, 2011. "Age Groups and the Measure of Population Aging," LERNA Working Papers 11.05.339, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Hippolyte D'Albis & Fabrice Collard, 2013. "Age groups and the measure of population aging," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" hal-01015396, HAL.
- d'Albis, Hippolyte & Collard, Fabrice, 2013. "Age Groups and the Measure of Population Aging," MPRA Paper 49972, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Foster, James E. & Shorrocks, Anthony F., 1988. "Inequality and poverty orderings," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 654-661, March.
- Joan Esteban & Carlos Gradín & Debraj Ray, 2007. "An Extension of a Measure of Polarization, with an application to the income distribution of five OECD countries," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 1-19, April.
- Le Grand, Julian, 1987. "Inequalities in health : Some international comparisons," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 182-191.
- Joaquim Oliveira Martins & Frédéric Gonand & Pablo Antolín & Christine de la Maisonneuve & Kwang-Yeol Yoo, 2005. "The Impact of Ageing on Demand, Factor Markets and Growth," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 420, OECD Publishing.
- Foster, James E & Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1988. "Poverty Orderings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(1), pages 173-77, January.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/11049 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ambra Poggi, 2005. "Endogenous population subgroups: the best population partition and optimal number of groups," Working Papers wpdea0508, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- C. Chu, 1997. "Age-distribution dynamics and aging indexes," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 34(4), pages 551-563, November.
- Davies, J. B. & Shorrocks, A. F., 1989. "Optimal grouping of income and wealth data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 97-108, September.
- Georges De Menil & Robert Fenge & Pierre Pestieau, 2008. "Pension Strategies in Europe and the United States," Post-Print halshs-00754865, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:cesdoc:12081. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.