On The Comparative Evaluation Of Agricultural Income Distributions In The European Union
The paper reports a set of operational rules for ranking income distributions that could be used, given appropriate data, to address a range of policy issues concerning the economic welfare of the agricultural community, the comparability of agricultural and non-agricultural incomes, and the extent and depth of poverty in farming. The rules are based on stochastic dominance procedures and are consistent with social preferences for higher incomes and a more equal distribution of income. Their application is illustrated by means of a comparative analysis of the farm family income situation in the member states of the European Union based on Farm Accountancy Data Network (FADN) data. The inadequacy of FADN data as a basis for inferences about welfare and poverty of farm households is stressed. Copyright 1999 by Oxford University Press.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Nov 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dundee, DD1 4HN|
Phone: (01382) 344375
Fax: (01382) 344691
Web page: http://www.dundee.ac.uk/econman/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foster, James E & Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1988. "Poverty Orderings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(1), pages 173-77, January.
- John A. Bishop & John P. Formby & W. James Smith, 1993. "International Comparisons of Welfare and Poverty: Dominance Orderings for Ten Countries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(3), pages 707-26, August.
- Beach, Charles M. & Chow, K. Victor & Formby, John P. & Slotsve, George A., 1994. "Statistical inference for decile means," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 161-167, June.
- Rubin Saposnik, 1981. "Rank-dominance in income distributions," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 147-151, January.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
- Howes, Stephen, 1996. "The Influence of Aggregation on the Ordering of Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(250), pages 253-72, May.
- Willig, Robert D, 1981. "Social Welfare Dominance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 200-204, May.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Sen, Amartya & Starrett, David, 1973. "Notes on the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 180-187, April.
- Foster, James E. & Shorrocks, Anthony F., 1988. "Inequality and poverty orderings," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 654-661, March.
- Bergmann, Denis, 1984. "North-South Balances and Conflicts within the Community," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 11(2), pages 151-57.
- Soares, Fernando Brito, 1988. "Some Reflections on the Reform of CAP," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 15(1), pages 109-12.
- Frank A. Cowell & Fatemeh Mehta, 1982. "The Estimation and Interpolation of Inequality Measures," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(2), pages 273-290.
- Charles M. Beach & Russell Davidson, 1983. "Distribution-Free Statistical Inference with Lorenz Curves and Income Shares," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 723-735.
- Kakwani, Nanak, 1993. "Statistical Inference in the Measurement of Poverty," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 632-39, November.
- Zioganas, Christos M, 1988. "Defining and Determining a 'Fair' Standard of Living for the Farm Family," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 15(1), pages 55-65.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dun:dpaper:093. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrzej Kwiatkowski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.