A new governance for EMU and the economic policy framework
The severe crisis affecting European Monetary Union has emphasized the prevailing interests of national governments and the lack of political leadership of European institutions, not to mention the failure of eurozone governance in terms of effective crisis management. The present work argues that the decisions taken in March 2011 by the European Council, namely the ‘Pact for the Euro’, to design the new governance of European Monetary Union (EMU), can be considered a necessary though insufficient step for European institutions in terms of credibility and legitimacy. By assessing the economic policy framework set up by the Pact for the Euro, this contribution underlines the need for appropriate institutions, and a stronger attitude of cooperation among Member States. It also stresses the need for transparency and a non-ambiguous solution to the debt crisis. The major message of this work is that Economic and Monetary Union must equip itself with the appropriate policy tools to manage and resolve the crisis, creating the conditions to improve the competitiveness of the peripheral countries of the eurozone and fostering growth. At the same time, however, eurozone member states and European institutions must demonstrate greater accountability and political coherence.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ansgar Belke, 2011.
"Reinforcing EU Governance in Times of Crisis: The Commission Proposals and Beyond,"
Credit and Capital Markets,
Credit and Capital Markets, vol. 44(1), pages 1–26.
- Belke, Ansgar, 2010. "Reinforcing EU Governance in Times of Crisis: The Commission Proposals and Beyond," Ruhr Economic Papers 232, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung (RWI), Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Ansgar Belke, 2010. "Reinforcing EU Governance in Times of Crisis: The Commission Proposals and Beyond," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1082, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Vincenzo Galasso, 2010.
"The Euro and Structural Reforms,"
in: Europe and the Euro, pages 57-93
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Vincenzo Galasso, 2008. "The Euro and Structural Reforms," Working Papers 344, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Vincenzo Galasso, 2008. "The Euro and Structural Reforms," NBER Working Papers 14479, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniele Schilirò, 2008. "Investing in Knowledge: Knowledge, Human Capital and Institutions for the Long Run Growth," CRANEC - Working Papers del Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale crn0804, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Centro di Ricerche in Analisi economica e sviluppo economico internazionale (CRANEC).
- AndrÃ© Sapir & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Zsolt Darvas, 2011.
"A comprehensive approach to the euro-area debt crisis,"
- André Sapir, 2011. "A Comprehensive Approach to the Euro-Area Debt Crisis," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/174297, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Zsolt Darvas & Jean Pisani-Ferry & André Sapir, 2011. "A Comprehensive Approach to the Euro-Area Debt Crisis," Working Papers 1101, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest.
- Zsolt Darvas & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Andre Sapir, 2011. "A Comprehensive Approach to the Euro-Area Debt Crisis," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1110, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Carfì, David & Schilirò, Daniele, 2010.
"Crisis in the Euro area: coopetitive game solutions as new policy tools,"
27138, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David CARFÌ & Daniele SCHILIRÒ, 2011. "Crisis In The Euro Area. Coopetitive Game Solutions As New Policy Tools," Theoretical and Practical Research in Economic Fields, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(1), pages 23-36, June.
- Carfì, David & Schilirò, Daniele, 2010. "Crisis in the Euro area: coopetitive game solutions as new policy tools," MPRA Paper 31891, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 26 Jun 2011.
- Missale, Alessandro, 1999. "Public Debt Management," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198290858, March.
- von Hagen, Jurgen & Eichengreen, Barry, 1996. "Federalism, Fiscal Restraints, and European Monetary Union," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 134-38, May.
- Carfì, David & Schilirò, Daniele, 2011.
"A model of coopetitive games and the Greek crisis,"
32098, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Prodi Romano, 2010. "Is the Greek Crisis also Becoming a Crisis of the EMU?," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 227-236.
- Holinski Nils & Kool Clemens & Muysken Joan, 2010.
"Origins of persistent macroeconomic imbalances in the Euro area,"
026, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- N. Holinski & C.J.M. Kool & J. Muysken, 2010. "Origins of persistent macroeconomic imbalances in the Euro area," Working Papers 10-12, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry & Adam Posen, . "The euro at ten: the next global currency?," Books, Bruegel, number 303, July.
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2006.
"L’euro, il patto di stabilità e di crescita e la sua riforma
[The euro, the stability and growth pact and its reform]," MPRA Paper 37333, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:47454. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.