Changes in Eurozone Governance after the Crisis and the Issue of Growth
The Eurozone countries are still seeking a way out of the crisis that has been affecting the European Monetary Union (EMU) since 2010. Sovereign debt crises, difficulties in the banking system and large current account imbalances have characterized the euro crisis, while several countries of the Eurozone have entered a phase of slow and even negative growth. All this has put at risk the sustainability of the EMU, leading to a climate of distrust surrounding the future of the single currency. The crisis of the Eurozone has shown that a sustainable currency union requires more governance because of the higher degree of economic, financial and fiscal spillovers between euro member countries. However, the crisis has led to significant changes in the institutional framework of the EMU and in the economic policies of the Eurozone, highlighting, above all, the role of the ECB. The present contribution analyses these changes in Eurozone governance and discusses whether they are the correct solutions to the crisis; in addition it focuses on the unresolved issue of growth in the peripheral Eurozone countries.
Volume (Year): 2 (2014)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CDM - CEMI, Odyssea, Station 5, CH - 1015 Lausanne|
Phone: +41 21 693 0036
Fax: +41 21 693 0020
Web page: http://ijsss.redfame.com
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zsolt Darvas & Silvia Merler, 2013. "The European Central Bank in the age of banking union," Policy Contributions 796, Bruegel.
- Vasco Curdia & Michael Woodford, 2010.
"The Central-Bank Balance Sheet as an Instrument of Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
16208, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cúrdia, Vasco & Woodford, Michael, 2011. "The central-bank balance sheet as an instrument of monetarypolicy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 54-79, January.
- Vasco Cúrdia & Michael Woodford, 2010. "The central-bank balance sheet as an instrument of monetary policy," Staff Reports 463, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Michael Woodford & Vasco Curdia, 2010. "The Central Bank's Balance Sheet as an Instrument of Monetary Policy," 2010 Meeting Papers 136, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Daniele SCHILIRÒ, 2013.
"The Crisis of Euro's Governance: Institutional Aspects and Policy Issues,"
Chapters of Financial Aspects of Recent Trends in the Global Economy book,
in: Rajmund Mirdala (ed.), Financial Aspects of Recent Trends in the Global Economy, volume 2, chapter 9, pages 151-163
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2012. "The crisis of euro’s governance: institutional aspects and policy issues," MPRA Paper 40861, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- von Hagen, Jurgen & Eichengreen, Barry, 1996. "Federalism, Fiscal Restraints, and European Monetary Union," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 134-38, May.
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2012. "A new governance for EMU and the economic policy framework," MPRA Paper 47454, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry & André Sapir & Guntram B. Wolff, 2012.
"The messy rebuilding of Europe,"
- Nicolas Veron, 2013.
"A Realistic Bridge Towards European Banking Union,"
PB13-17, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Martin S. Feldstein, 2011. "The Euro and European Economic Conditions," NBER Working Papers 17617, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ángel Estrada & Jordi Galí & David López-Salido, 2013.
"Patterns of Convergence and Divergence in the Euro Area,"
722, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Ángel Estrada & Jordi Galí & David López-Salido, 2013. "Patterns of convergence and divergence in the euro area," Economics Working Papers 1386, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Ángel Estrada & Jordi Galí & David López-Salido, 2013. "Patterns of Convergence and Divergence in the Euro Area," NBER Working Papers 19561, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Estrada García, Ángel & Galí, Jordi & Lopez-Salido, David, 2013. "Patterns of convergence and Divergence in the Euro Area," CEPR Discussion Papers 9685, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Patricia S. Pollard, 1993. "Central bank independence and economic performance," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 21-36.
- Feldstein, Martin S., 2011. "The Euro and European Economic Conditions," Scholarly Articles 9949289, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Angel Ubide, 2013. "Reengineering EMU for an Uncertain World," Policy Briefs PB13-4, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rfa:journl:v:2:y:2014:i:2:p:110-119. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Redfame publishing)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.