A Realistic Bridge Towards European Banking Union
New obstacles to the European banking union have emerged over the last year, but a successful transition is both necessary and possible. European leaders have to acknowledge a sequence of policy changes that must take place before the banking union can be completed. Specifically, in the second half of 2014, the European Central Bank (ECB) will gain supervisory authority over most of Europe's banking system. This handover is the first of two milestones that will define the eventual success or failure of the banking union project. The second milestone will be a change in the European treaties that will establish the robust legal basis needed for a sustainable union. Together, these two milestones are a bridge that will allow Europe to cross the choppy waters that separate it from a sustainable policy framework.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1750 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20036-1903|
Web page: http://www.piie.com
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicolas Véron & Guntram B. Wolff, 2013.
"From supervision to resolution: next steps on the road to European banking union,"
- Nicolas Veron & Guntram B. Wolff, 2013. "From Supervision to Resolution: Next Steps on the Road to European Banking Union," Policy Briefs PB13-5, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry & André Sapir & Nicolas Véron & Guntram B. Wolff, 2012. "What kind of European banking union?," Policy Contributions 731, Bruegel.
- Adam Posen & Nicolas Véron, 2009. "A solution for Europe's banking problem," Policy Briefs 310, Bruegel.
- Adam S. Posen & Nicolas Veron, 2009. "A Solution for Europe's Banking Problem," Policy Briefs PB09-13, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Alessandro Giustiniani & Wim Fonteyne & Wouter Bossu & Alessandro Gullo & Seán Kerr & Daniel C Hardy & Luis Cortavarria-Checkley, 2010. "Crisis Management and Resolution for a European Banking System," IMF Working Papers 10/62, International Monetary Fund. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iie:pbrief:pb13-17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peterson Institute webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.