Changes in the Eurozone governance after the crisis and the issue of growth
The Eurozone countries are still trying to find a way out to the crisis that has affected the European Monetary Union (EMU) since 2010. Sovereign debt crisis, difficulties in the banking system and large current account imbalances have characterized the crisis of the euro, while several countries of Eurozone have entered in a phase of slow and even negative growth. All this have put at risk the sustainability of EMU, leading to a climate of pessimism and distrust about the future of the single currency. The crisis of the Eurozone has shown that a sustainable currency union requires more governance because of the higher degree of economic, financial and fiscal spillovers between euro member countries. However, the crisis has led to significant changes in the institutional framework of EMU and in the economic policies of Eurozone, highlighting above all the role of ECB. The present contribution analyzes these changes in the eurozone governance and discusses whether they are the correct solutions to the crisis, it also focuses on the unresolved issue of growth in the peripheral Eurozone countries.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ángel Estrada & Jordi Galí & David López-Salido, 2013.
"Patterns of Convergence and Divergence in the Euro Area,"
IMF Economic Review,
Palgrave Macmillan;International Monetary Fund, vol. 61(4), pages 601-630, December.
- Estrada García, Ángel & Galí, Jordi & Lopez-Salido, David, 2013. "Patterns of convergence and Divergence in the Euro Area," CEPR Discussion Papers 9685, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ángel Estrada & Jordi Galí & David López-Salido, 2013. "Patterns of Convergence and Divergence in the Euro Area," NBER Working Papers 19561, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ángel Estrada & Jordi Galí & David López-Salido, 2013. "Patterns of convergence and divergence in the euro area," Economics Working Papers 1386, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Ángel Estrada & Jordi Galí & David López-Salido, 2013. "Patterns of Convergence and Divergence in the Euro Area," Working Papers 722, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Feldstein, Martin S., 2011. "The Euro and European Economic Conditions," Scholarly Articles 9949289, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Cúrdia, Vasco & Woodford, Michael, 2011. "The central-bank balance sheet as an instrument of monetarypolicy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 54-79, January.
- Vasco Cúrdia & Michael Woodford, 2010. "The central-bank balance sheet as an instrument of monetary policy," Staff Reports 463, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Vasco Curdia & Michael Woodford, 2010. "The Central-Bank Balance Sheet as an Instrument of Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 16208, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Woodford & Vasco Curdia, 2010. "The Central Bank's Balance Sheet as an Instrument of Monetary Policy," 2010 Meeting Papers 136, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- André Sapir & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Guntram Wolff, 2012. "The Messy Rebuilding of Europe," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/174289, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry & André Sapir & Guntram B. Wolff, 2012. "The messy rebuilding of Europe," Policy Briefs 719, Bruegel.
- von Hagen, Jurgen & Eichengreen, Barry, 1996. "Federalism, Fiscal Restraints, and European Monetary Union," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 134-138, May.
- Patricia S. Pollard, 1993. "Central bank independence and economic performance," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 21-36.
- Martin S. Feldstein, 2011. "The Euro and European Economic Conditions," NBER Working Papers 17617, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniele SCHILIRÒ, 2013. "The Crisis of Euro's Governance: Institutional Aspects and Policy Issues," Chapters of Financial Aspects of Recent Trends in the Global Economy book, in: Rajmund Mirdala (ed.), Financial Aspects of Recent Trends in the Global Economy, volume 2, chapter 9, pages 151-163 ASERS Publishing.
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2012. "The crisis of euro’s governance: institutional aspects and policy issues," MPRA Paper 40861, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2012. "A new governance for EMU and the economic policy framework," MPRA Paper 47454, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Angel Ubide, 2013. "Reengineering EMU for an Uncertain World," Policy Briefs PB13-4, Peterson Institute for International Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:51458. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.