Obesity epidemic: the role of retailing sector in promoting fruit and vegetable consumption
After a deep review of the main economic studies and applications about the emerging problem of obesity, this paper focuses on a particular aspect of the issue: the improvement of fruit and vegetable purchasing in retailing sector. First of all it has been analyzed the actual presence of strategies aimed at improving fruit and vegetable consumption in the main retailing companies operating in Italy. Then the study investigates the role of price in consumers’ purchasing choices. High price elasticity of F&V products could suggest the implementation of lower prices to consumers instead of implementing other policy interventions. The methodology is based on qualitative and quantitative research methods. In particular, in depth interviews to retailing sector experts have been run to gather useful insights about retailers’ management of F&V department. Then quantitative analysis on IRI data about F&V consumption in Italy has been conducted to evaluate the influence of price on consumers’ attitude towards F&V. The results obtained provide meaningful insights to formulate marketing strategies and policy interventions.
|Date of creation:||12 Feb 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tomas Philipson, 2001. "The world-wide growth in obesity: an economic research agenda," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(1), pages 1-7.
- Oral Capps & H. Alan Love, 2002. "Econometric Considerations in the Use of Electronic Scanner Data to Conduct Consumer Demand Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 807-816.
- Diotallevi, Francesco, 2010.
"L’analisi della domanda degli oli extravergine d’oliva in Italia Un’applicazione del modello A.I.D.S
[The analysis of the demand for extra virgin olive oil in Italy An application of the AIDSmodel]," MPRA Paper 41469, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francesco Torrisi & Gianluca Stefani & Chiara Seghieri, 2006. "Use of scanner data to analyze the table wine demand in the Italian major retailing trade," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(3), pages 391-403.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-326, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:43279. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.