Trading firms in the Spanish services sector
In this study, I analyze the characteristics of trading firms in the Spanish service sector. I reveal that half of the service firms in Spain operate only in their local markets, whereas one-third of the examined service firms trade with non-local areas of Spain, and fewer than 20% of Spanish service firms trade with other nations. Similar to those in the manufacturing sector, trading firms in the service sector exhibit premia relative to non-traders with respect to size, labor productivity and average wages. Larger premia are observed for firms that trade with more distant markets and for firms that participate in bidirectional trade. Service firms that trade with non-local areas of Spain also exhibit similar premia relative to firms that trade only in their regional markets. I demonstrate that compared with non-trading firms, firms that engage in trade with foreign countries are more productive even before they have commenced their trading activities. However, I do not find that the initiation of trade with foreign nations by trading firms is followed by improvements in the productivity of these firms relative to non-trading firms.
|Date of creation:||11 Dec 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- José C. Fariñas & Ana Martín-Marcos, 2007. "Exporting and Economic Performance: Firm-level Evidence of Spanish Manufacturing," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(4), pages 618-646, 04.
- Campa, José Manuel, 2000.
"Exchange Rates and Trade: How Important is Hysteresis in Trade?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2606, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Campa, Jose Manuel, 2004. "Exchange rates and trade: How important is hysteresis in trade?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 527-548, June.
- Campa, Jose M., 2000. "Exchange rates and trade: How important is hysteresis in trade?," IESE Research Papers D/427, IESE Business School.
- Thomas J. Holmes & John J. Stevens, 2010.
"Exports, borders, distance, and plant size,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2010-38, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Thomas J. Holmes & John J. Stevens, 2010. "Exports, Borders, Distance, and Plant Size," NBER Working Papers 16046, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas J. Holmes & John J. Stevens, 2010. "Exports, Borders, Distance, and Plant Size," Working Papers 10-13, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Minondo, Asier, 2012.
"The relationship between export status and productivity in services: A firm-level analysis for Spain,"
43225, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Asier Minondo, 2014. "The Relationship Between Export Status And Productivity In Services: A Firm-Level Analysis For Spain," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(S1), pages 138-146, December.
- Joseph Francois & Bernard Hoekman, 2010.
"Services Trade and Policy,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 48(3), pages 642-692, September.
- Joseph F. Francois & Bernard Hoekman, 2009. "Services Trade and Policy," Economics working papers 2009-03, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Joseph F. Francois & B. Hoekman, 2009. "Services Trade and Policy," wiiw Working Papers 60, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Francois, Joseph & Hoekman, Bernard, 2009. "Services Trade and Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 7616, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrea ARIU, 2013.
"Services versus Goods Trade: Are They the Same?,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2013015, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Breinlich, Holger & Criscuolo, Chiara, 2010.
"International Trade in Services: A Portrait of Importers and Exporters,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7837, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Breinlich, Holger & Criscuolo, Chiara, 2011. "International trade in services: A portrait of importers and exporters," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 188-206, July.
- Haller, Stefanie A. & Damijan, Joe & Kaitila, Ville & Kostevc, Črt & Maliranta, Mika & Milet, Emmanuel & Mirza, Daniel & Rojec, Matija, 2012. "A portrait of trading firms in the services sectors Comparable evidence from four EU countries," Discussion Papers 1283, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Juan Manez & Maria Rochina & Juan Sanchis, 2004. "The decision to export: a panel data analysis for Spanish manufacturing," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(11), pages 669-673.
- Henk Kox & Hugo Rojas-Romagosa, 2010. "Exports and Productivity Selection Effects for Dutch Firms," De Economist, Springer, vol. 158(3), pages 295-322, September.
- Jože Damijan & Stefanie A. Haller & Ville Kaitila & Črt Kostevc & Mika Maliranta & Emmanuel Milet & Daniel Mirza & Matija Rojec, 2015.
"The Performance of Trading Firms in the Services Sectors – Comparable Evidence from Four EU Countries,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(12), pages 1809-1849, December.
- Damijan, Joe & Haller, Stefanie A. & Kaitila, Ville & Maliranta, Mika & Milet, Emmanuel & Rojec, Matija & Mirza, Daniel, 2012. "The performance of trading firms in the services sectors Comparable evidence from four EU countries," Discussion Papers 1284, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Joze P.Damijan & Stefanie A. Haller & Ville Kaitila & Mika Malirante & Emmanuel Milet & Matija Rojec, 2012. "The performance of trading firms in the services sectors – Comparable evidence from four EU countries," LICOS Discussion Papers 31712, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Henk Kox & Hugo Rojas-Romagosa, 2010.
"Exports and productivity selection effects for Dutch firms,"
CPB Discussion Paper
143, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Kox, Henk L.M. & Rojas Romasgosa, Hugo, 2010. "Exports and productivity selection effects for Dutch firms," MPRA Paper 24390, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ingo Borchert & Batshur Gootiiz & Aaditya Mattoo, 2014.
"Policy Barriers to International Trade in Services: Evidence from a New Database,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 28(1), pages 162-188.
- Borchert, Ingo & Gootiiz, Batshur & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2012. "Policy barriers to international trade in services : evidence from a new database," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6109, The World Bank.
- Alexander Eickelpasch & Alexander Vogel, 2009.
"Determinants of Export Behaviour of German Business Services Companies,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
876, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Alexander Eickelpasch & Alexander Vogel, 2009. "Determinants of Export Behaviour of German Business Services Companies," Working Paper Series in Economics 123, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Keith Walsh, 2006. "Trade in Services: Does Gravity Hold? A Gravity Model Approach to Estimating Barriers to Services Trade," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp183, IIIS.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:43224. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.