Trading firms in the Spanish services sector
In this study, I analyze the characteristics of trading firms in the Spanish service sector. I reveal that half of the service firms in Spain operate only in their local markets, whereas one-third of the examined service firms trade with non-local areas of Spain, and fewer than 20% of Spanish service firms trade with other nations. Similar to those in the manufacturing sector, trading firms in the service sector exhibit premia relative to non-traders with respect to size, labor productivity and average wages. Larger premia are observed for firms that trade with more distant markets and for firms that participate in bidirectional trade. Service firms that trade with non-local areas of Spain also exhibit similar premia relative to firms that trade only in their regional markets. I demonstrate that compared with non-trading firms, firms that engage in trade with foreign countries are more productive even before they have commenced their trading activities. However, I do not find that the initiation of trade with foreign nations by trading firms is followed by improvements in the productivity of these firms relative to non-trading firms.
|Date of creation:||11 Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrea ARIU, 2013.
"Services versus Goods Trade: Are They the Same?,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2013015, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Borchert, Ingo & Gootiiz, Batshur & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2012.
"Policy barriers to international trade in services : evidence from a new database,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6109, The World Bank.
- Ingo Borchert & Batshur Gootiiz & Aaditya Mattoo, 2014. "Policy Barriers to International Trade in Services: Evidence from a New Database," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 28(1), pages 162-188.
- Campa, Jose M., 2000.
"Exchange rates and trade: How important is hysteresis in trade?,"
IESE Research Papers
D/427, IESE Business School.
- Campa, Jose Manuel, 2004. "Exchange rates and trade: How important is hysteresis in trade?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 527-548, June.
- Campa, José Manuel, 2000. "Exchange Rates and Trade: How Important is Hysteresis in Trade?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2606, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas J. Holmes & John J. Stevens, 2010.
"Exports, Borders, Distance, and Plant Size,"
NBER Working Papers
16046, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas J. Holmes & John J. Stevens, 2010. "Exports, borders, distance, and plant size," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2010-38, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Thomas J. Holmes & John J. Stevens, 2010. "Exports, Borders, Distance, and Plant Size," Working Papers 10-13, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Haller, Stefanie A. & Damijan, Joe & Kaitila, Ville & Kostevc, Črt & Maliranta, Mika & Milet, Emmanuel & Mirza, Daniel & Rojec, Matija, 2012. "A portrait of trading firms in the services sectors Comparable evidence from four EU countries," Discussion Papers 1283, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Joseph Francois & Bernard Hoekman, 2010.
"Services Trade and Policy,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 48(3), pages 642-92, September.
- Joseph F. Francois & Bernard Hoekman, 2009. "Services Trade and Policy," Economics working papers 2009-03, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Joseph F. Francois & B. Hoekman, 2009. "Services Trade and Policy," wiiw Working Papers 60, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Francois, Joseph & Hoekman, Bernard, 2009. "Services Trade and Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 7616, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Juan Manez & Maria Rochina & Juan Sanchis, 2004. "The decision to export: a panel data analysis for Spanish manufacturing," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(11), pages 669-673.
- Asier Minondo, 2014.
"The Relationship Between Export Status And Productivity In Services: A Firm-Level Analysis For Spain,"
Bulletin of Economic Research,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(S1), pages S138-S146, December.
- Minondo, Asier, 2012. "The relationship between export status and productivity in services: A firm-level analysis for Spain," MPRA Paper 43225, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Keith Walsh, 2006. "Trade in Services: Does Gravity Hold? A Gravity Model Approach to Estimating Barriers to Services Trade," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp183, IIIS.
- Damijan, Joe & Haller, Stefanie A. & Kaitila, Ville & Maliranta, Mika & Milet, Emmanuel & Rojec, Matija & Mirza, Daniel, 2012.
"The performance of trading firms in the services sectors Comparable evidence from four EU countries,"
1284, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Joze P.Damijan & Stefanie A. Haller & Ville Kaitila & Mika Malirante & Emmanuel Milet & Matija Rojec, 2012. "The performance of trading firms in the services sectors – Comparable evidence from four EU countries," LICOS Discussion Papers 31712, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Breinlich, Holger & Criscuolo, Chiara, 2011.
"International trade in services: A portrait of importers and exporters,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 188-206, July.
- Breinlich, Holger & Criscuolo, Chiara, 2010. "International Trade in Services: A Portrait of Importers and Exporters," CEPR Discussion Papers 7837, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Henk Kox, 2010.
"Exports and productivity selection effects for Dutch firms,"
CPB Discussion Paper
143, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Henk Kox & Hugo Rojas-Romagosa, 2010. "Exports and Productivity Selection Effects for Dutch Firms," De Economist, Springer, vol. 158(3), pages 295-322, September.
- Kox, Henk L.M. & Rojas Romasgosa, Hugo, 2010. "Exports and productivity selection effects for Dutch firms," MPRA Paper 24390, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alexander Eickelpasch & Alexander Vogel, 2009.
"Determinants of Export Behaviour of German Business Services Companies,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
876, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Alexander Eickelpasch & Alexander Vogel, 2009. "Determinants of Export Behaviour of German Business Services Companies," Working Paper Series in Economics 123, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- José C. Fariñas & Ana Martín-Marcos, 2007. "Exporting and Economic Performance: Firm-level Evidence of Spanish Manufacturing," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(4), pages 618-646, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:43224. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.