Calculating the Fundamental Equilibrium Exchange Rate of the Macedonian Denar
The real exchange rate is a macroeconomic variable of a crucial importance, since it determines relative price of goods and services home and abroad, and influences economic agents’ decisions. The real exchange rate needs to be on the right level, as it can result in wrong signals and economic distortions if it is not. In order to be able to say whether a currency is misaligned or not, one needs some measure of the just exchange rate – the equilibrium exchange rate. Many different concepts of equilibrium exchange rates exist. The one which is defined as the real effective exchange rate that is consistent with the economy being in internal and external equilibrium in the medium term is the subject of this thesis, and is known under the name of Fundamental Equilibrium Exchange Rate concept. The first part of this study, thus, explains the concept of Fundamental Equilibrium Exchange Rate and surveys the literature on the uses to which it has been put and on the ways in which it has been calculated. The second part of the dissertation illustrates how the Fundamental Equilibrium Exchange Rate concept can be operationalised towards the end of assessing the right parity of the Macedonian denar. What we find is that the denar is neither overvalued nor overvalued in the period 1998-2005. That would imply that price competitiveness is not adversely affected, and that the exchange rate does not generate distortions in the economy. We also find that the fundamental equilibrium exchange rate tends to appreciate due to the increase in the net current transfers flows. In contrast, the real effective exchange rate tends to depreciate in the last three periods, and we are of the opinion that if these trends are maintained, in near future the denar might become undervalued.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sónia Costa, 1998. "Determination of the equilibrium real exchange rate for the Portuguese economy using the FEER," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Wren-Lewis, Simon, et al, 1991. "Evaluating the U.K.'s Choice of Entry Rate into the ERM," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 59(0), pages 1-22, Supplemen.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992.
"Determination of Cointegration Rank in the Presence of a Linear Trend,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 383-397, August.
- Johansen, S., 1991. "Determination of Cointegration Rank in the Presence of a Linear Trend," Papers 76a, Helsinki - Department of Economics.
- Pan Yotopoulos & Yasuyuki Sawada, 2006. "Exchange rate misalignment: a new test of long-run PPP based on cross-country data," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1-2), pages 127-134.
- Pan A. Yotopoulos & Yasuyuki Sawada, 2005. "Exchange Rate Misalignment: A New Test of Long-Run PPP Based on Cross-Country Data," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-318, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Chinn, Menzie D. & Ito, Hiro, 2007. "Current account balances, financial development and institutions: Assaying the world "saving glut"," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 546-569, June.
- Menzie D. Chinn & Hiro Ito, 2005. "Current Account Balances, Financial Development and Institutions: Assaying the World "Savings Glut"," NBER Working Papers 11761, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon Wren-Lewis & Rebecca Driver, 1998. "Real Exchange Rates for the Year 2000," Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa54.
- Simon Wren-Lewis & Rebecca Driver, 1998. "Real Exchange Rates for the Year 2000," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa54, 03.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989. "The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Perron, P, 1988. "The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis," Papers 338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Barrell, Ray & Wren-Lewis, Simon, 1989. "Fundamental Equilibrium Exchange Rates for the G7," CEPR Discussion Papers 323, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kateřina Šmídková & Ray Barrell & Dawn Holland, 2003. "Estimates of fundamental real exchange rates for the five eu pre-accession countries," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2003(4).
- Katerina Smidkova & Ray Barrell & Dawn Holland, 2002. "Estimates of Fundamental Real Exchange Rates for the Five EU Pre-Accession Countries," Working Papers 2002/03, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Ray Barrell & Dawn Holland & Katerina Smidkova, 2003. "Estimates of Fundamental Real Echange Rates for the Five EU Pre- Accession Countries," Macroeconomics 0303016, EconWPA.
- Balazs Egert & Amina Lahrèche-Revil, 2003. "Estimating the Fundamental Equilibrium Exchange Rate of Central and Eastern European Countries; The EMU Enlargement Perspective," Working Papers 2003-05, CEPII research center.
- Rebecca L Driver & Peter F Westaway, 2005. "Concepts of equilibrium exchange rates," Bank of England working papers 248, Bank of England.
- Bela Balassa, 1964. "The Purchasing-Power Parity Doctrine: A Reappraisal," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 584-584.
- Stein, Jerome L., 1990. "The real exchange rate," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 1045-1078, November.
- Alessandra Iacobucci & Alain Noullez, 2005. "A Frequency Selective Filter for Short-Length Time Series," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 25(1), pages 75-102, February.
- Alain Noullez & Alessandra Iacobucci, 2004. "A Frequency-selective Filter for Short-Length Time Series," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 128, Society for Computational Economics.
- Alessandra Iacobucci & Alain Noullez, 2004. "A Frequency Selective Filter for Short-Length Time Series," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2004-05, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Katerina Smidkova, 2003. "Estimating the FEER for the Czech Economy," Macroeconomics 0303014, EconWPA.
- Virginie Coudert & Cécile Couharde, 2003. "Exchange Rate Regimes and Sustainable Parities for ceecs in the Run-up to emu Membership," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 54(5), pages 983-1012.
- Virginie Coudert & Cécile Couharde, 2002. "Exchange Rate Regimes and Sustainable Parities for CEECs in the Run-up to EMU Membership," Working Papers 2002-15, CEPII research center.
- PISCITELLI Laura & WESTAWAY Peter, "undated". "FEER Computation: A Model Based Approach," EcoMod2003 330700122, EcoMod.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-1580, November.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Artus, Jacques R., 1978. "Methods of assessing the long-run equilibrium value of an exchange rate," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 277-299, May.
- Jakub Borowski & Anna Czogala & Adam Czyzewski, 2005. "Looking Forward Towards the ERM II Central Parity: The Case of Poland," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 102, pages 9-31.
- Houthakker, Hendrik S & Magee, Stephen P, 1969. "Income and Price Elasticities in World Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(2), pages 111-125, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:43161. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.