The role of anti-smoking legislation on cigarette and alcohol consumption habits in Italy
The short-term effects of public smoking bans on individual smoking and drinking habits were investigated in this paper. In 2005, a smoking ban was introduced in Italy, and we exploited this exogenous variation to measure the effect on both smoking participation and intensity and the indirect effect on alcohol consumption. Using data from the Everyday Life Aspects survey, for the period 2001-2007, we show that the introduction of smoke-free legislation in Italy significantly affected smoking behavior. We also document significant indirect effects on alcohol consumption for the main alcoholic beverage categories. A robustness analysis is also performed, to test the extent to which unobservable variables may bias our estimated parameters. Our results are then used to perform a cost-effectiveness analysis of the anti-smoking legislation in Italy.
|Date of creation:||06 Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anger, Silke & Kvasnicka, Michael & Siedler, Thomas, 2011.
"One Last Puff? Public Smoking Bans and Smoking Behavior,"
EconStor Open Access Articles,
ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 591-601.
- Anger, Silke & Kvasnicka, Michael & Siedler, Thomas, 2011. "One last puff? Public smoking bans and smoking behavior," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 591-601, May.
- Anger, Silke & Kvasnicka, Michael & Siedler, Thomas, 2010. "One Last Puff? Public Smoking Bans and Smoking Behavior," IZA Discussion Papers 4873, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Anger, Silke & Kvasnicka, Michael & Siedler, Thomas, 2010. "One Last Puff? – Public Smoking Bans and Smoking Behavior," Ruhr Economic Papers 180, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung (RWI), Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Silke Anger & Michael Kvasnicka & Thomas Siedler, 2010. "One Last Puff?: Public Smoking Bans and Smoking Behavior," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 992, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Silke Anger & Michael Kvasnicka & Thomas Siedler, 2010. "One Last Puff?: Public Smoking Bans and Smoking Behavior," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 289, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Liu, Feng & Zhang, Ning & Cheng, Kai-Wen & Wang, Hua, 2010. "Reduced smoking and rising obesity: Does smoking ban in the workplace matter?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 108(3), pages 249-252, September.
- Crost, Benjamin & Guerrero, Santiago, 2012. "The effect of alcohol availability on marijuana use: Evidence from the minimum legal drinking age," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 112-121.
- Lance Lochner & Enrico Moretti, 2004.
"The Effect of Education on Crime: Evidence from Prison Inmates, Arrests, and Self-Reports,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 155-189, March.
- Lance Lochner & Enrico Moretti, 2001. "The Effect of Education on Crime: Evidence from Prison Inmates, Arrests, and Self-Reports," NBER Working Papers 8605, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jones, A & Laporte, A & Rice, N & Zucchelli, E, 2011. "A model of the impact of smoking bans on smoking with evidence from bans in England and Scotland," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 11/05, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Milton C. Weinstein & Donald S. Shepard & Joseph S. Pliskin, 1980. "The Economic Value of Changing Mortality Probabilities: A Decision-Theoretic Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 94(2), pages 373-396.
- Nord, Erik, 1993. "The trade-off between severity of illness and treatment effect in cost-value analysis of health care," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 227-238, August.
- Yörük, BarIs K. & Yörük, Ceren Ertan, 2011. "The impact of minimum legal drinking age laws on alcohol consumption, smoking, and marijuana use: Evidence from a regression discontinuity design using exact date of birth," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 740-752, July.
- Dee, Thomas S., 1999. "The complementarity of teen smoking and drinking," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 769-793, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42480. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.